“avoid this place at all cost!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Wyndham Istanbul Old City
Ranked #157 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Germany
“avoid this place at all cost!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

I will make it very short. We booked a king size bed room. We changed the room 4 (FOUR) times until we got a room with a king size bed. The reception staff, the bellboys were lying in our face several times. I'm sure about that because of stuff like that:

- Reception tells me we have a king size bed (the bed was 140cm so definitely not a king). Asking the manager he tells us that we are staying in a room with a french bed. In front of the same guy that just told us that this was a king size bed and that all rooms have the same bed size. Embarrassing!
- Reception sends the bellboy to show us a new room:
Bellboy: This is a corner suite.
Me: I don't see a separate living room
Bellboy: It's almost a suite.
Me: This is not a suite
Bellboy: It's not really a suite.
Me: We were told to be upgraded to an executive room.
Bellboy: This is like an executive room.
Me: So is it an executive room or not?
Bellboy: Not really.
Me: Why is there an ashtray? We have a baby.
Bellboy: This is a smokers room. (we booked non-smoker)
Me: I'm tired of these lies.
Bellboy: Yes you are right.
--> UNBELIEVABLE and that's how almost every conversation went.

Only after we finally spoke to the General Manager he arranged within 30mins a room with a king size bed (200cm). He didn't apologize for his staff. My opinion: The fish rots from the head down - the management doesn't have things under control here.

On SUNDAY 10:30pm a company started to install the new Wyndham logos outside the hotel which lasted until 1am including super loud drilling and hammering. The reception said: There's nothing we can do since the technician says he has to finish this today. I told him that this is rubbish since they were requested by the hotel to do this. We were offered a 5th (!) room change which I refused. Because of these not very smart people our baby couldn't sleep until 1am.

Another interesting one: We booked our stay without breakfast. At checkin I asked and they said it is included. Later I ask the bellboy he tells me that I shouldn't worry they never ask in the breakfast room if you have booked breakfast or not. Revenue Management seems to be on vacation there! I don't want to know how much money they loose because of this (regular breakfast is 19 EUR/person).

To summarize this: This is not a 5* hotel. 3* would suit this place well. Especially since you have many stairs from the entrance until the reception and nobody bothers to help you with luggage and stroller. They just watch you or disappear.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank das_ubersoldat
Sevda K, General Manager at Wyndham Istanbul Old City, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Das_ubersoldat,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to give us feedback on Tripadvisor.com. Since I had the chance to talk to you in person, I had deeply investigated the cause of your dissatisfaction during and after your stay. Once more, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience we caused you and your dear family.

Sincerely, as a team we strive for the comfort of our guests and I believe we are good at it. I am deeply sorry for not being able to provide you the Wyndham service that exceeds our guests' expectations.

Yours sincerely.

Fahri Eren
Hotel Manager
Wyndham Istanbul Old City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We are family, two adults, one child, and infant, we booked club room.
In the beginning i was interested to have room in this hotel, i paid extra money for that. I checked in early morning coz my flight arrived @ morning.
Bad things as following from my point of view:
A- internet is not free in the rooms, you have to pay a package to have net in your room, i thought that since i have a club room, i should have free wifi.
B- if you have a baby trolley or wheelchair, this is a disaster for you, you will have to carry it by yourself or by other, there is no way or access for baby trolley or handicapped.
C-the club lounge room open allday and you can access to it by you card but the service is limit on specific time, from 4 p.m to six p.m is tea party, from six to eight happy hour. I think and what i have been read about this romm is that it opens the whole day with full service, but in this hotel it is different.
Good things
A- the room is big enough for my family.
B- the breakfast is wonderful
C- the staff is friendly and specially the reception ciz i went to them to explain my point of view about the bad things, they were listening to me and try to solve problems, one of the reception staff i think his name is Sokran, do good things with me and i woul like to thank him.

At the end, I think they should work hard to satisfy thier gusts and also i think te one who reserved a hiigh rank of rooms and bay much money, he should have sth special.
By the way, the hotel now is no longer Crown Plaza any more. One company bought it and the changed its name. I forget thier new name.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
GM_WyndhamOldCity, Genel Müdür at Wyndham Istanbul Old City, responded to this review, March 8, 2016
Dear Mr.Shammaryk2,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this detailed review of Wyndham Istanbul Old City Hotel.

Your review is so special to us as it truly touches upon our service philosophy and culture which you felt and articulated so well. On behalf of everyone in the team, my deepest thanks for your generosity and recognition, we are grateful.

Very much looking forward to seeing you again in Istanbul.

All the best,

Duygu Sönmez
Wyndham Istanbul Old City Hotel
Ankara, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Hotel consists of four old building connected to each other by glass archs. Nice foyer, delicious meals, good staff. Rooms are not big but quiet comfortable. As far as my observation, big tourist groups prefer to stay at this hotel. Hotel is located close to the historical peninsula of İstanbul (Aya Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapı Palace, Basilica Sistern, Archeological Museum). Very close to the tram stop. There are many textile shops at the neighbourhood of the hotel, it is possible to buy clothes, bags, shoes... as wholesail and/or retail. (Do not forget to bargain.)

Room Tip: The rooms which are looking to the back streets are quite.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sevda K, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Istanbul Old City, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Seldjan,

Thank you very much for leaving us a review on this website regarding your recent stay with us.

Your feedback is essential for us to check how we are doing to achieve complete guest satisfaction and I am also sure that our future guest will make use of your helpful tips.

We look forward to welcome you soon again.

Best Regards,
teesside
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed last month at this hotel for a 5 night break.The public areas are very smart and service good throughout our stay.Previously a Crowne Plaza hotel it has recently changed to Wyndham.Had dinner one night in restaurant which was very good and had coffee and cake in the cafe patisserie on other occoisions.Breakfast is full hot and cold buffet with everything you would expect.Spa area and pool are very well appointed.Our room was very comfortable.Tram stop is just across the main road so good linksto all transport systems.All in all would reccomend for a city stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Matthirst,

Thank you very much for having your time to share your reviews regarding your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us entirely. Also, let me express our gratitude regarding your comments about our restaurant, cafe and open buffet breakfast. There is no such a happiness for us to hear that you liked everything you tasted during your stay with us.

We do hope to service you at our property soon again.

Kindest Regards,
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stayed at this nice big shiny hotel as part of a tour with a big tour company. Unfortunately our experience was marred by a very unpleasant stink of old tobacco which permeated our quite small room. The carpet was old and very stained so it was probably coming from there. The view from the window was of another close window so we had to keep the privacy curtain closed.
The breakfast spread was very good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AuntyJoy
Dear AuntyJoy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a feedback on Tripadvisor.

Feedbacks are very important for us to improve our services for our valued guests. I wish that you had informed us about the situation during your stay with us so that we could have done our best to comfort you while you were here with us. I assure you that we will take necessary actions for our future guests.

We do hope to welcome you in the future again.

Best regards,