“A Pleasant Hotel for my US Guests” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Eresin Hotels Topkapi
Ranked #150 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Cypress, CA
“A Pleasant Hotel for my US Guests”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

I have been using this hotel since its opening for my Turkey cultural tours for US travelers. These travelers have always given high marks for the comfort, cleanliness, friendliness, security and food service. They are always happy to get non-smoking rooms and for the big swimming pool in the nice spa. Not all the staff is fluent in English but the Front Desk team and the management are always ready to help. All in all a very nice place for my US guests.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank CulturalFolkTours

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

Came back last week from Istanbul, dates of our stay at Barcelo was (Monday 12th July - Monday 19th July). The reception desk received us very well and made us feel very relaxed. This was specially the case with Zafer and hotel manager Safi. But the one that was around most of the time was Emrah (bellboy) and he was very helpful. If we found something amiss they would fix it as soon as possible. We were given a Premium room on the third floor which was really nice, we always looked forward to going back after a long day in Istanbul and beyond.

The above mentioned staff spoke very good English as did most of the people that a guest needs to be in contact with. Though, there were a number of times when we were not understood by some stuff, including cleaning lady, the technical guy, the waiter, and the taxi driver connected to the hotel that took as to the airport.

The location has its positives and negatives but overall for us it was no problem. It is approximately eight stops away from the City Centre by tram. The trams are great, they are fully air conditioned, cheap and very regular, but can be hard to find a seat due to high number of traveler. We particular liked it as it meant we can get away from the hustle and bustle of the main city and retreat to our hotel, which was in a relatively noiseless place.

The noise levels were also helped by very good sound proof windows of Barcelo and we rarely had to open the window as the AC was sufficient.There is a small super market just around the corner, next to the mosque and few other shops including a kebab shop. We found the hotel prices high for the food so the supermarket proved very useful for us.

We were satisfied with our room, it was very comfortable for us and the room cleaning was really good, which made the return after a long day very easy. The toilets were really clean and it was all marble. The toiletries had everything we needed and more and was constantly renewed. The only problem was that there was no windows or air suction mechanisms in the toilets, which should really be there.

One issue we had was that there was not tea facitlities in our room, although we thought there will be and when we did request it, the price was not explained correctly: we thought it was 5 euro's all together but it turned out to be 5 euros for every night.

The free wifi was a real bonus and it allowed us to stay connected with family and friends. although the wifi was flaky and sometimes would stop working completely, where we had to resort to going to the computer terminals (which also sometimes stopped working).

The breakfast was really nice the service was mostly good. Although the price may be a little too high at 17 euros. If the price is not a problem for you, then you will definitely enjoy the amount and variety of food.

We were really impressed by the whole gym and leisure complex at the lower grounds, really clean and useful for those that like to exercise on holiday. The stuff were helpful and the facilities made the stay much better. Although it did get a little hot in the gym sometimes, maybe they can increase the AC.

We tried to do everything recommended by the guide books (see below) as we had 8 days but some of the highlights for us was:

First night we prayed the night prayer in the Blue Mosque.
Travellled on the Bosphorus after sun set.
Visited Eyop and take cable car and drink tea looking down on Golden Horn
Took cruise ship to Princes Islands and take a ride on the horse and carriage around the major Island.
Visited Grand Bazaar and try your haggling skills, which we found really enjoyable.
Visited the Historia shopping Centre (5 mins by taxi from hotel) to relax and visited arcade section for the young.
And there is much much more.

We found these two guide books very useful though out:
Istanbul Lonely planet city guide book (http://amzn.to/9D14Yg)
Eyewitness Top 10 Istanbul

On final note, we booked through lastminute.com, the total price including flights and hotel (no breakfast) for 8 days and 7 nights for 2 people came to £900.

I've written a long piece because i found the reviews here very useful through out our journey to Istanbul and hope others will benefit from this. I have tried to be as objective as possible and have written in a way that addresses some of the things experienced by others.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank AjmalSultany
AGMBarceloEresin, AGM at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
Dear AjmalSultany,

We would like to thank you for your positive review about Barcelo Eresin Topkapi, it is a pleasure for us to know that our guests have enjoyed not only our services but our facilities as well. Recognition is really helpful in order to always try our best and keep us motivated, I will surely pass this message to the whole team and give special recognition to the front office staff mentioned in your review. Future travelers will surely appreciate the great tips about the city as well.

Once again our most sincere thank you and hoping to welcome you again in your next visit to Istanbul.

Warm regards

Iran
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

First I must make something crisp clear ,
I do not have anything against the Arab community , I think Arab people are among the most honest people on the planet and although I have some difficulty understanding their manners please do not consider my review based on a racist perspective:
This was my third visit to barcelo eresin ,as usual everything was cool ,they gave us an early checkin ,they even gave us a club premium room which I really appreciated ,every thing is handled professionally at the hotel and every demand is fulfilled in a polite and professional way.
Unfortunately I don't know why but the hotel was dedicated to Arab people this time . I really think the management should avoid such a monopoly , I really prefer a melting pot when I travel so I could understand and make friends with different races and nationalities.
In my opinion Arab people have some issues I really dont like :
First of all they are very loud people and although they are typically kind ,they make the impression they are rude and aggressive .My second issue is that they do not control their kids properly , at breakfast screaming and crying of kids made me quite nuts and it was the same scenario every day so although my room rate included breakfast I didn't have breakfast a few days . But my worst experience was some guy shouting madly at the reception desk which made my wife terrified.Although the people at the reception handled the situation calmly the shouting went on for 5 to 6 minutes and it somehow ruined my holiday in Istanbul ,because my wife has a heart condition and she was terrified and speechless for sometime and didnt recover fully for the rest of our trip.So three months of waiting and planning carefully for this vacation trip was ruined by this incident . I certainly wont go back to Barcelo Eresin if this Arabic monopoly continues because I cannot afford to ruin another vacation mentally and financially and above all it would take some time for my wife to recover the shock and its consequences.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mamzool
AGMBarceloEresin, Operation Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
Dear Mamzool

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us and with future travellers, and for your positive review about our hotel services and staff.

Referring to your comments about Arabic guests and monopoly, we would like to mention that at this time in Istanbul you will find many Arabic guests in most hotels of any category. This is no surprise in such an amazing and exciting city which represents the bridge between Europe and Middle East and being only 3 weeks away from Ramadan when most of them return to their countries to celebrate with relatives and friends.

As you well point out, is not very wise to cater for only one type of guests and that is why we have agreements with agencies and operators from every continent, Arabic agencies making for less than 20% of the contracting. But as you can imagine we cannot restrict the reservations based on nationalities, and from the business point of view this would not be a wise thing to do. In many cases also our guests take advantage of the best rate guarantee and make their reservations through the central reservation system, barcelo.com. There also we have no tool to block reservations from a certain country after reaching a certain level. In any case during the dates of your visit the percentage of Arabic guests was around 20 %.

However, we try to select the profile of our guests by signing agreements with well known travel agencies and operators and as you have probably noticed our guests profile is medium-high, which helps us to carry out our operation smoothly. Yes, there are kids, especially in summer season, but during the time of your visit they made only 5% of the total guests in house. But as we all know they may look like many more!

We are very sorry about the incident that you and your wife witnessed during your stay. Fortunately it was managed on time by the General Manager and myself who were at the Front Desk area at that moment. But rather than blaming a certain nationality or culture I would say that what you saw was one of those guests who believe that shouting loud they will get things faster. But I can assure you that they are a very tiny fraction of our customers. That incident happened only once as far as we can remember and it was nothing more than the shouting and threatening, it did not take longer than 5 minutes and later the guest apologised for his behaviour and enjoyed the stay with his family. Unfortunately our colleagues from any hotel of every category will have a similar story to tell.

I would like to thank you once again for your nice comments about the hotel and our team members, and especially for being a repeat guest of ours and taking the time to share your feedback. We certainly look forward to welcoming you again at the Barceló Eresin Topkapı in your next visit to Istanbul.

With our best regards.
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

Stayed at this property in 2006 - great stay in room 465. Came back after "rennovation" and new owners and was very disappointed. Asked for the same jounior suite I had in 2006. While it was upgraded (flat screen TV, mini-bar, furniture) the room had many problems: (1) there are no non-smoking rooms in the hotel and 465 smelled like a RJR convention was held in it the night before (it litterally gagged us). Called house keeping who sprayed the room - helped for about one hour the stank again. (2) The suite had a connecting door installed and we had an Arab family staying in the room next door who were arguing in Farzi all night. Complained to front desk to no avail (spent the night with earplugs). (3) This property is not US friendly - many evil looks to my wife who dressed in pants and did not have a scarf on in the dining room. (4) The gym is a sweat shop with little of no AC. (5) Food service and quality was very poor (scrambled eggs in am looke like half cooked) while prices very inflated. Worst hotel stay i have ever had..

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank zouavepa
Dear Zouavepa,

First of all, thank you for giving us the opportunity to learn about your experience in our hotel through this site.

While reading your letter it made us both surprised and sad to learn the problems mentioned during your stay in our hotel. As you well indicated, from 2006 the hotel is managed by an International Hotel Chain: Barcelo Hotels & Resorts, all the rooms has been renovated (spacious and bright rooms with a contemporary decoration), always looking to fulfill guests satisfaction.

Hotel has 5 room floors and three of them are non-smoking rooms (70% non-smoking and 30% smoking), unfortunately, 4th floor is assigned as a smoking floor, but such a strong smell as described is not normal and pretty strange, since the room was vacant the previous six days. We are very sorry about it, especially because on those days we had availability of non-smoking Junior Suites and we would have offered you a change (like we do with the guests that request non-smoking room),if we would have known that you were not comfortable after house keeping tried to solve it.

Certainly, Junior Suite has a connecting door like before the renovation, and is safety and soundproof, related with the family which was staying in the room next door we have checked the incidents report, and reception called the room and asked kindly to turn down the noise, but as you informed with your comments, it was not enough, and we regret not having been able to solved this issue on time. Surely we will check with our Engineering Manager to ensure connecting door is well soundproof.

We would like to mention that in our hotel we are welcoming people from all over the world and that our staff is very friendly towards all of our guests. At this time in Istanbul you will find many Arabic guests in most hotels of any category. We regret that our food and quality service did not reach your expectations, and we take note with the Chef about the scrambled egg issue.

Once again we would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Eresin Topkapi for your stay in Istanbul and we wish to welcome you again in the future in order to better fulfill your expectations.

Best Regards
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

This hotel is okay but I definitely wouldnt recommend it because there would be many similar hotels in better locations. We are a young couple and wanted to be closer to the action - the hotel is about 8 tram stops to the busy parts of the old city and about another 8 stops to the new city. Everyone else staying at the hotel was in big tour groups with average age in their 50s or 60s. Also, our first night there was a wedding in one of their function rooms and we could hear the music clearly from our room until at least 11.30 (not what we wanted after a busy day flying to Turkey and touring the city for hours).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AGMBarceloEresin, Assistant General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, July 1, 2010
Dear Mr. Neutron Sydney

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments, they are very important to us since we have the chance to improve every time we receive feedback from our guests.

I am surprised you found our location far away from the city centre since many of our guests find the tram very useful, not only because the stop is in front of the hotel but also because it only takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes to get to the Gran Bazaar and Sultanhamed area.
Our hotel is an international hotel; therefore, the profile of our guests is continuously changing, from groups to families and couples from all over the world.

It is unfortunate to hear that you could not rest properly until 11.30 due to the music in our ballroom, as most of the hotels in Istanbul our security staff measures the decibels in order to avoid this from happening, also the ballroom is located two floors beneath the rooms but I will surely speak with our security manager to ensure that the music can not be heard from all rooms.

Once again I would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Eresin Topkapi for your stay in Istanbul and I wish we could welcome you again in the future in order to better fulfill your expectations.

Warmest Regards

Barcelone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

We spent three nights in Barcelo Eresin Topkapi Hotel in Istanbul.
The hotel is beautiful, nice rooms, really confortable beds and amazing swimming pool, sauna and gym.
The staff is kind and helpful.
The breakfast was delicious: continental breakfast, typical turkish breakfast and also pa amb tomàquet amb pernil (bread, tomato and ham - typical delicious Catalan food) and "churros" (Spanish breakfast), tea, coffee, chocolate, yoghourts, fruits...
There are three computers with free internet.
There is a tramway station in front of the hotel. It's name is PAZARTEKKE. You can buy the tickets in the Kiosk who is in front the station and reach the old Istanbul in ten minutes (Blue Mosque, Sta Sofia, Gran Bazar...).
I recommend you this hotel in Istanbul.
I booked it by internet in www.barcelo.com

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Lluis
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

This hotel boasts 5* but I would suggest that the management look around at some of the 5* hotels in the Far East to get an idea of what a real 5* hotel should provide. There were no tea/coffee making facilities despite being listed as provided.

When I asked at for this at reception, I was told that we have been upgraded to a premium room but if we wanted the facility we would have to pay an extra 25 euros per night !! There are ice-making machines but don't even try asking house keeping services for an ice bucket they wont understand!!

Rooms were clean and comfortable but that is all.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Pogson,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments, feedback from our guests is really important and appreciated by all the team because it not only gives us the chance to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, but it also helps us realize how our guests feel about the hotel which is truly important for us.

It is unfortunate to hear that the hotel was not to up to the level of your expectations, we have already considered the idea of having tea and coffee in standard rooms as well, hopefully we can implement this as soon as possible.

Concerning the communication issues with housekeeping, I have already taken action in order to avoid this from happening in a future by making sure that guest are understood at all times by the person answering the telephone.

We are glad you found our rooms clean and comfortable, recognition from our guests always motivates us to try our best at all times.

Once again my most sincere thank you and looking forward to welcoming you back in Barcelo Eresin Topkapi in order to fulfill your expectations on your next visit

Best Regards