“Will come back again -- clean- great location”

Eresin Hotels Topkapi
Ranked #149 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Dammam
“Will come back again -- clean- great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

Hello,
I visited Istanbul with my wife and decided to stay in this hotel for 8 nights, I really found great welcoming and fast reaction with all requests.
I was given the choice between smoking and non smoking rooms, the breakfast was great and having many many choices and I really liked it, a polite girl always coming to us on the breakfast table and asks for our preferable drinks with a great smiling, I really respected this.
The location of the hotel is great and you can directly either ride a taxi from the gate (It is expensive so I don’t advise) or you can ride the train 20 meters in front of hotel and go easily to your destination in the area.
Swimming pool is wonderful and not rush, only five to six people at that time was swimming which is great to feel that you own this pool.
Cleaning the room was done regularly depending on my request and as per my tours program and the girl who was cleaning the room was polite and hard worker. The Bathroom is shining with a good smell, room was clean and great.
Unfortunately, I cant saty in this hotel this year because this hotel is not listed in the list of hotels that the tourism company in Jordan works with, but definitely I will not miss any chance to stay in Barcelo Hotrel if I found any tourism company in Jordan listing it.

Thanks for all the team who works in Barcelo.

Regards,
M.Marei

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Myself and a friend stayed at Barcelo, istanbul in August 2011 for 4 nights. The hotel was clean, close to the main tourist areas of istanbul (sultanamet) but far enough to take you away from the noise and hassle of this area (one 10 minute tram ride, 2TL adult one way, takes you into the main areas for eating, shopping and sightseeing) - taking the tram is an adventure in itself- needs to be experienced! not for the faint hearted, great fun.

During our stay we had a problem with the plumbing for the toilet in our hotel room. once reported this problem was dealt with the upmost professionalism and speed. Sonia Guisado (assistant general manager) could not be more helpful. customer service was above and beyond what we could have asked for, when dealing with this problem. not only did she oversee the brisk completion of this probelm, we were given a free breakfast, upgraded to VIP facilities, offered a massage and given direct contact details for the assistant manager to deal with any issues we had, thereafter. Sonia and her team are a credit to the hotel maintaining a 5 star service for all their customers.

I would highly recommned a stay at this hotel, if you are seeking a stylish and clean room, excellent customer service and staying at a place close to the main tourist area, but far enough to take you away from the hussle and noise of the area.

main problems with this hotel are, a room at the front you need to deal with the busy road, a room at the back you need to deal with another building, brick wall too close for my comfort.

Room Tip: book through any hotel discount website, direct through the hotel is more expensive
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
washington, dc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

I travel a lot and I've stayed at 3, 4, and 5 star hotels. I've been to Istanbul 5 times and have always said the Turks are among the nicest people in the world - that's why I keep coming back!

First, this is NOT a 5 star hotel and I feel jipped by lastminute.com. They need to re-categorize this hotel to a 4-star max.

The day before my arrival, I called to ask for early check-in. I was told about the 45 euro charge but was told that since I was fasting, they would check me in early at no charge. When i went to check in, I was treated like a criminal! The man spent the entire 20 minutes trying to find out if the person I spoke to really was working the day before. After total silence for several minutes of investigating, he handed me my card key without a word then rudely told me he would be reprimanding the person who promised to waive the 45 euros but that he's given me a room anyway and will waive it. I had to locate the elevators myself.

The Room

I was given a room with two twin beds with a view of the parking lot. All i can say is I have never in my life, even in personal bathrooms, have I seen such a destroyed bathtub. The plaster was peeling badly in 2 locations, whereby if you stepped on it, you would seriously cut yourself. The toilet seat cover was yellow. At first I thought it was an odd color with a backdrop of a white porcelain toilet, but realized it was stained yellow. GROSS. Given I flew in on a red-eye, I desperately needed sleep before a meeting. But after 3 hours of tossing and turning, I could not sleep. The AC was broken and I was hot. I finally couldn't put up with it and called and asked for another room. Thank God, this time it was a gracious receptionist and she moved me to a better room. But after moving to the new room, I realized the guy who checked me in didn't return my passport so I called. He insisted he gave it to me and they asked me to return to my old room to look for it. I went and when I returned they called to say they found it at the front desk. I was not only sleep-deprived, I was hot and sweaty at this point.

Upon my check out, the issue of the 45 euros came up again! I was told that they called lastminute.com and confirmed it was disclosed on their website and therefore they needed to charge me! I was appalled at the time they spent investigating this issue. Of course, I argued that I was told it was waived TWICE now and I refused to pay.

Other Cons
-Amenities are CHEAP. You can't even use the bath cap without ripping it. Tissues are like cardboard. Soap/Shampoo is like detergent. No robe. Cheap paper slippers.
-Cheap linens.
- The bathroom counters, floors and bathub all had water stains, especially the counter and floors. Felt dirty.
-They have no respect for the "Do Not Disturb Sign"
-They charge 44 TL (~$32) for a really simple breakfast buffet with no omlette bar or anything special. Again, was treated like a criminal, as they reminded me 3 times that there is an extra charge for breakfast. I never returned.
-Location: not convenient to anything.
-Hair "salon": It was nothing more than a run-down barber and the woman there tried ripping me off by quoting me 50 TL for a simple blow out. The going rate is 5-10TL. Maybe 20 in fine hotel salons. The thing is, the woman working at the spa witnessed this and said nothing but her face said it all.

PROS
-Free wireless
-Computers in business center
-Tram in front of hotel
-Mostly polite staff
-Good massages

Room Tip: Ask for a room with descent bathrooms!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
bagm, General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Dear “Blueroose”,

We have shared your review among the department heads in our operations meeting this morning and could not believe it was referring to our hotel.

I immediately gathered all information related to your stay and clearly saw in the Front Desk cameras that your check-in procedure took 4 minutes and 37 seconds, in line with our standards. We understand that you were not happy with the charge for early check-in but even though we cannot hear the conversation, the attitude and body language of the Front Desk supervisor who assisted you at check-in seems polite and correct at all times and I could clearly see that after handing you the key card you started walking to your left and he (courteously as it looks) shows you the way to the right where the lifts are located.

He did not hand you back the passport though, which is a mistake, and you can see it was left on the desk. After he realized this he wrote an alert on our property management system informing his colleagues that the passport was in Front Office and stating that you were probably sleeping and that it should be handed over to you later on that day.

I sincerely apologize for the inappropriate state of the room you were assigned to, and for having failed to realize it when the room had been inspected after cleaning. A few of our bathtubs have been restored but the one in the room you stayed started to peel off in two spots on the curves at both sides which although would not cut or pose any danger (the material used to repair bathtubs is just a more resistant type of enamel) it certainly does not look good and should be repaired before checking any guest in. We have found out some missing points in our room inspection procedure and will put special care so that this important subject does not happen again.

I have also personally checked the toilet seat and agree with you that it looks odd to find a ivory color seat on a white porcelain toilet. But after carefully checking it I can assure you that I could not find any stain. It is just a different color and should be changed because it doesn’t match with the white porcelain water closet. Yes, you can see the staff parking lot from the room but only sidewise, at some 15 m. to your left. But it is also true that the main view is a small green interior garden and a yellow painted wall behind some thin green trees.

The air conditioning in both rooms is working fine and I could find no record of any maintenance job in either room after the preventive maintenance performed in April before the summer heat started.

When you requested later on the morning of your arrival to have the room changed it was the same receptionist who had assisted you at check-in who took your complaint and after talking to the floor supervisor called again to offer you a non smoking room with French Bed as you had requested. I have talked to both of my team members –the receptionist that checked you in and the bellboy who assisted you to change the room- and what I understood is that the bellboy suggested to go himself to check if the passport had been left in the first room but when hanging the phone and informing his supervisor he learnt that the document was there and he went to your room to deliver it.

After you have been checked-in, our Front Desk supervisor discussed the situation with the telephone operator and reservation team but no one could remember having said previously that you would be forgiven to pay the early check-in fee for any reason (fasting or otherwise), and that is why the subject came back upon check-out. We just have in our records an e-mail answer on 25th July to your request for breakfast price and early check in where one of our reservation ladies informs about both prices and kindly asks you to inform us if you would like to have the room ready upon your early arrival. There is no further communication on the subject. I have analyzed the video recording of the check-out process and again the receptionist who performed your check-out showed a polite and respectful attitude and due to your visible rejection to pay the disputed fee he did not insist. The check-out process took only a couple of minutes longer than the check-in because you chose to pay part in Turkish Lira and part with credit card. But it looks fast, easy and courteous.

The bathroom amenities we offer may not be of a well-known brand, they are locally produced and like with all of the products we offer we request from our suppliers -and keep in our records- the corresponding license from the Health Ministry. The slippers and paper tissues are –if not top quality- of a correct standard. We provide bathrobe in some category of rooms but offer them free of charge upon request in standard rooms as well.

At not $32 but $24 (17 EUR as we price it or 15 EUR if booked in advance together with the room) the buffet breakfast may not be cheap but neither are the quality and variety of the food and beverages we offer. With more five fruit juices varieties, five kinds of cheese, six types of jam selection, bar salad, a customized omelet service, a typical Spanish corner, 7 types of cereal and müsli, bakery and pastry corner, yogurts and a selection of five hot dishes (scrambled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, croque-monsieur, boiled eggs) plus a selection of fine teas and freshly brewed coffee breakfast is one of the services most valued by our customers. Although we don’t have an omelette bar we offer fried eggs “al gusto” and omelettes on request as shown in a card on each table. I wish we had the chance to show you the additional choices of “continental breakfast” for 12 EUR or “express breakfast” for 5 EUR that we offer at the B Lounge, just opposite the main restaurant.

The location of our hotel is one of the best rated aspects. With direct access to the airport (10 km. away), a modern tramway to both the heart of the old town (3 km.) and new part of the city (15 minutes by taxi average and a little longer with the tram) the location makes it very convenient for our visitors be it for tourism or business purpose.

The hairdresser may not be the fanciest place in the hotel but looks quite nice -it has been renovated 4 years ago- and the price shown for washing and blow drying is 20 EUR. Yes, it is more expensive than a street parlour in Istanbul but in line with this kind of hotel hairdressers.

Although we may not see things quite like you described them, the fact is that you did not have the experience we wish all our guests have when staying with us and for this please accept my apologies. It is the first time somebody says he or she was treated “like a criminal” by our team. It is certainly not the impression I got from the video recording of your check-in and check-out, and not at all the way I see my breakfast staff or restaurant hostess treat our guests when I am near them. Still the important thing for us is to find out what may have given you that impression. I also want to thank you for the time you took to share your experience with us. Finally I would like to thank you for praising the overall behavior of our team, the massage and the free wifi. Since you are a regular visitor to Istanbul we hope we will have the chance to host you again in the near future in order to show you that we can do it much better.

With best regards,

Enrique Acrich Ecker
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

The hotel is located in a very good place, in front of a tramway stop and it is very easy to reach from the Ataturk airport. The historical center is 20 - 25 minutes far from the hotel, using the tram. Rooms are confortable and clean.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

Nice breakfast with turkish food, nice people but we asked for a non-smoking room that smelled smoke in all room. One of our travel companions asked for a smoking room and was told by the reception desk that he could smoke in his non-smoking room ....
The reception desk couldn't move us and we perceive that was not a BIG problem for them .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eliene Z
bagm, Assistant General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear Mrs. Eliene,

Thank you for sharing your feeback about your stay with us on Tripadvisor. It made us extremely happy to learn that you enjoyed our breakfast, turkish cuisine and U Spa facilities.

However, we are extremely surprised to read two comments from you regarding smoking issue in the rooms. Please accept in this regards, a brief explanation from our side.

Guests are normally asked at check-in their smoking preference and their rooms are assigned accordingly. Nevertheless we cannot prevent a guest from smoking in a non-smoking room, as we are not able to realize it until the guest checks out or room cleaning is made. What we do, apart of putting non-smoking signs and not providing ashtrays, is to ventilate and vacuum the room as much as we can and use special odor-taker and ozone machines that absorb smoke.

For this reason, we believe it to be a miscommunication fault as all our team members are aware of this norms and we always try to allocate guest preferences, when the hotel is not fully booked. Nevertheless, we have discussed this issue with our Front Office Manager and made again a strict reminder within the whole team.

Thank you again fro your time and we truly look forward to welcome you in the near future.

Best Regards from Istanbul,

Sonia Guisado
Assistant General Manager
Barceló Eresin Topkapi
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed at this hotel as part of a tour we were on. We stayed at the hotel on two separate occasions for 2-3 nights each. First of all the hotel is too far from the center of town. A taxi ride to old district will run you around 20 TL. Yes it’s right across the street from the tram but I rode the tram once in Istanbul and that was enough. Good luck getting on and off the tram any time of day. Second the quality of the rooms, restaurant and lobby are below average. Also we were on a non-smoking floor but we smelled smoke in the hallways and our room. One of our travel companions asked for a smoking room and was told by the reception desk that he could smoke in his non-smoking room (which would explain the why the non-smoking floors smelled like an ashtray). Also the air conditioners didn't work well so the rooms got very warm and stuffy. The hotel caters to multiple nationalities which is great. They have a large population of Iranian and Saudi guests. So there was a large population of women in full Islamic clothes in the lobby and at the restaurant during breakfast. I couldn't help feeling underdressed in my capri pants and short sleeve tops.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LauraClare
bagm, Assistant General Manager at Eresin Hotels Topkapi, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear Mrs. “LauraClare”,

In response to your comment on this site, we would like to thank you for sharing your feeback about your stay. It is essential to get our guests’ suggestions as we believe it is the only way to improve and move forward.

We are sorry to hear about the incidents you experienced, and please accept in this regards, a brief explanation from our side.

As you well pointed out, despite not being located downtown and taking into consideration that the tramway might be crowded at peak times, it is still one of the quickest and most economic means of transportation to the city center as the main tourist sites can be reached in a few minutes. In addition, a positive aspect of our location is a quieter, more relaxed atmosphere, very appreciated when coming back to the hotel after a day full of sightseeing.

We are surprised and sad to learn that the quality of the rooms, restaurant and lobby were not up to your expectations. On this subject, we would be extremely grateful if you could share with us any additional information that could help us to take actions towards improvement.

In addition, we have become very surprised at the fact that our reception desk would have mentioned to smoke in a non-smoking room. It is definitely not allowed to smoke in a non-smoking room and smoking is not permitted in any public area of the hotel except in the garden, and we can guarantee we do never allow smoking in the lobby area.

For this reason, we believe it to be a miscommunication fault as all our team members are aware of this norms, however, we have discussed this issue with our Front Office Manager and made a strict reminder within the whole team.

As for the air conditioning, if we would have known that you were experiencing any issues; our Engineering team would have immediately and gladly check it.

Referring to your comments about Arabic and Iranian guests, we would like to mention that at this time in Istanbul you will find many Middle East guests in most hotels of any category. This is no surprise in such an amazing and exciting city which represents the bridge between Europe and Middle East and being only 1 week away from Ramadan when most of them return to their countries to celebrate.

As you well point out, we cater to multiple nationalities and we have agreements with agencies and operators from every continent, Arabic agencies making for less than 20% of the contracting. But as you can imagine we cannot restrict the reservations based on nationalities. During the dates of your visit the percentage of Saudi and Iranian guests altogether was around 25%.

However, as you have probably noticed our guests profile is medium-high and our guest dress code is a reflection of that mix of cultures and traditions of every country.

We hope Mrs. “LauraClare”, that, concerns aside, you enjoyed your time in Istanbul and we truly wish to welcome you again in the future in order to better fulfill your expectations this time.

Best Regards,

Sonia Guisado
Assistant General Manager
Barceló Eresin Topkapi
Tehran
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

I stayed in Barcelo Eresin hotel for 7 nights ( 14- 22 July 2011) with my family. everything’s was so nice, the room was so clean and they arranged a bed for my 5 years old kid free of charge.
They gave me a Kittle to boiling water for tea and coffee freely and it was so good.
The location of hotel is so nice and far from noisy place and only 15 minutes to center of tourist places with Tram but i suggest you go to the sultanahmet by walking. it approximately take one hour time from hotel , we did 4 time and enjoyed the walking ( this good for loosing weight or not to gain weight because of Turkish food!).
The staff of the hotel are so kind and lots of them can speak English and they are so kind and polite.
The pool and spas are very useful .
The breakfast was so nice .
some times housekeeping staff forgot to complete their job but if you call room service they do immediately
Totally everything was good.

Thank you very much Barcelo eresin Topkapi hotel