“Can't beat the location!”
Review of Uyan Hotel

Uyan Hotel
Ranked #178 of 1,151 Hotels in Istanbul
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Can't beat the location!”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My parents and I stayed here for 6 nights while touring Istanbul- perfect location, amazing roof top views (for breakfast), and friendly/helpful staff. This is a great place to stay if you want to walk to every site in Old Town. It is two blocks walking from the Blue Mosque, Ayasofya and Topkapi Palace. You can also easily walk to the Grand Bazaar, spice market and so much more! The roof top is something to mention as well, amazing views every morning- the golden horn, the sea of Marmara, the mosques- no whereelse in the world do you have these views! I definitly would definitely stay here the next time I come due to location, location, location. I started to feel like a local...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sara C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I had one of the nicest hotel stays ever! And I travel a lot so that says something. The hotel is elegantly tasteful yet thoroughly modern in its amenities and kept up very nicely and very clean. The staff was wonderful, so helpful and caring. The breakfast was tastey and plentiful. The roof terrace was a wonderful place to reflect on all you experienced that day in that FANTASTIC city. The location can't be beat. And all the nearby restaurants and cafes were excellent. I am an older woman traveling alone and felt very safe going out at night in this area. I can't say enough good about this hotel.

Room Tip: If you're getting a single, ask for a street front room. I noticed the singles on the courtyard...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank invandare
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed for seven nights in the second week of April. The location is great as its only a short walk to most of the sights in the old city. You could also walk through the park and to Galata bridge and tower. The tram stop was also nearby and easy to get to places further away.
The staff was friendly and helpful. The reception desk was manned 24 hours a day. They helped us to print out new flight tickets when we missed our flight and had to book new ones. We stayed at the basement family room for the first 5 nights. It was spacious but cold although there was a heater. Would not stay in the basement again unless its summer (am from a tropical country) but then we moved to room 208 which was warmer. The rooms were clean with wooden floors and turkish carpets. This room overlooked the street. We enjoyed breakfast every morning before setting out for the day. The Wi-fi we got was adequate in both rooms. It was nice to come back every evening to see the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque. I never get tired of looking at them. Overall a positive experience. Would stay here again

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Zainab A
Iowa
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I spent a total of seven nights at Uyan Hotel in March-April 2014. From the rooftop terrace, there are magnificent views of the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia, and glimpses of the Sea of Marmara and the Asian side of Istanbul are visible beyond the rooftops. All of the "must see" Old City sights are less than 10 minutes' walk from the front door of Uyan. The staff is friendly and speaks adequate English, the rooms--while not spacious--are clean and functional, and the breakfast buffet is delicious and filling. The only negative is the really weak WiFi, which repeatedly disconnected due to slow Internet speeds (e.g., 5Mbps). Very annoying! Still, I chose this hotel primarily for its proximity to the Old City and public transportation, so I was pleased with my decision. It's good value, and I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an interior window. It won't make the 5:15am call to prayer any quieter, bu...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ScandiScot
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed April 10, 2014

First of all, not everyone expects the same of an accommodation. Meaning, if I like something, it doesn’t mean that you (the reader) will also like this hotel.

We chose this hotel, because it’s proximity to Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque.
This was our third trip to the city. We enjoy to look at these buildings a lot - and the hotel’s rooftop terrace offers nice views of both of them (perfect views you get next door at the restaurant “Seven Hills”, if you prefer that).

For us, important are:
1. Location
2. Service
3. Cleanliness
4. Room / Quiet room
5. “Design”
6. Restaurant

1. Location:
Most of the sights in old town (Sultanahmet) are in easy walking distance.
Tram stops are about 1-2 minutes away.
Plenty of restaurants around you to choose from, if you do not like to roam around a lot.
2. Service:
I expect friendliness, efficiency and help, when we need it.
Service was not excellent, but always good.
(In our case, especially, it was impossible to get a print-out of our boarding passes for our return flight. Not tragic, but unusual.)
3. Cleanliness:
Making up of the room and new towels every day.
Bathroom clean.
4. Room / Quiet room:
Our purpose for a hotel room is to stay and SLEEP in it. I am waking at the tiniest bit of noise.
Of course, you never can guarantee not to have rowdy hotel guests that spoil it all for you. But street noise and such is something that you can avoid.
We were in room 208 (“superior deluxe”) which was spacious and far away from the elevator and staircase.
The only problem we had was, when late at night (obviously) tourists walked through the street below us – singing loudly… That’s the price you pay for having all these restaurants around you…
However, overall, it was not too bad during our stay and we slept well.
5. Design:
I am not a fan of hypermodern everything. I want my amenities, but prefer some kind of charme.
This hotel got it! This is a small hotel with only about 25 rooms.
Our room appeared efficient and cosy/stylish at the same time.
The building itself is very pretty, too.
6. Restaurant:
Not really a restaurant. The hotel only offers breakfast. Breakfast is not gorgeous, but with enough offerings for everyone.

For more details check out the hotel’s website: http://www.uyanhotel.com

Bottom line:
This is a small, family style hotel that also in style and amenities represents Turkey a nice way.
Downside were all the promoters/sales people you have to navigate through when you go to/from the hotel. Well, on the other side: That’s Turkey, too…
If you need even more amenities, e.g. bar or restaurant, you will have to pay more.
We had a beautiful room that we enjoyed tremendously.
The price is right – you pay a lot for location, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank familynomad
San Jose, California
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I stayed in room 201 for 4 nights in March.

Front desk service: The service at the front desk is very good. I booked a Bosphorus Cruise through them. When the shuttle didn't pick me up, they called the cruise operator to see what's going on (without me asking them)

Free breakfast: Some of the items included in the breakfast: various bread types, coffee, juices, cheese, milk, hard boiled egg, scrambled egg, and other items. The breakfast was pretty good overall. But they are pretty slow to restock the scrambled egg. Even though it is buffet, they should at least one person there in case something runs out. The person disappeared some time. And the scrambled egg isn't ready at 7:30AM, when breakfast start.

Room cleaniness: The room is clean, no doubt about that

The bathroom is incredibly tiny. See the picture.

Since I stayed on the second floor, I hear a lot of noises, probably coming from down stairs. I had to wear ear plugs to sleep. The single bed is also pretty old, they should really replace it. The reason why I say it is old is because it was kinda lop sided, it has a dip on one side. The bed was placed next to the window. The window was single pane so I can feel a coldness coming from it. Overall, with the noise and uncomfortable bed and coldness from the window, my sleep wasn't that good.

Location: The hotel is in prime location to Sultanahmet!

Room Tip: Don't get room 201!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Henry J
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We flew Turkish Air for the first time and had a forced layover both ways. We stayed at the Uyan Hotel on our way back to the States. It was a bit far from the hotel (about 30 minutes) so the cab ride was more expensive but we were able to see some sights along the way. The drive took us past Old Istanbul (in ruins) and along the coast. The cab ride there was 40 Turkish Lira (about $20) but the way back the taxi driver charged us 50 Turkish Lira (about $25). We couldn't have been more happy with the location - just 1/2 block from the Four Seasons and within a lovely walking distance to the Bazaar, Blue Mosque, Hagai Sofia and the restaurants and shops along the trams. We arrived after dark and had a wonderful time safely wandering around the area. The locals are very aggressive with communication wanting to sell something but some of them just want to talk to Americans. Most people spoke at least conversational English and we had no communication troubles. Be polite yet firm with the local salespeople - they will follow you, talking, for several blocks trying to get you to their family store or in their restaurant or shop. They are harmless so be polite but firm :) I rated this 4 out of 5 stars because this is a very basic yet clean and nice hotel and they don't allow outside food or drink. Good value for the money and the complementary breakfast was fine - a step above continental with some hot foods. The bed was comfortable and actually had a MATTRESS PAD which I believe is a necessity on any bed. The shower was great - good pressure and temperature.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family