“Room size, Location are the best!!!`”
Review of Uyan Hotel

Uyan Hotel
Ranked #182 of 1,175 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here end of May, for 3 nights. We traveled to Turkey with our 20 month old toddler, and when searching for the hotel which needed to fulfill out checklist. The room needed to be large (since we had a lot of luggage and planned to travel to Pakistan for another 2 weeks,) a safe box inside the room, mini bar (for toddler’s milk and snacks), breakfast included, close proximity to the main attractions, AC and good price. Hotel Uyan offered all of above. The room and bathroom are huge (we were on the first floor.) The room and the hotel are clean and nicely decorated. Our first little disappointment was when we realize the AC was off. My husband inquired about it from the front desk, and was told they don’t turn on the AC until mid-June. They gave us a fan, which was useless, but either way Istanbul’s weather was so pleasant that we never needed AC. We request room service, and instead of our bed being made, the comforter and pillows were placed on top of the cabinet. This was odd for us, but no issues since my husband is tall and was able to bring things down, but a short person like me would have a hard time. The breakfast was average. The breakfast area and the terrace were really nice. The Hotel is really close to everything, which was great since we had a stroller, and needed to return to the hotel several times during the day. We booked the return shuttle to the airport thru the hotel. And wanted to make sure we had enough time to get to the airport and to our connecting flight. The hotel shuttle was at least 42 minutes late. When my husband asked about it, at first he was told they still have 15 minutes (before the scheduled time,) so we wanted. Then once the 20 minutes later, when we asked again they asked us what time was out flight and that we will have enough time. Finally the van arrived, 45 minutes past the scheduled time.
Overall, the hotel is average, with average service (maybe even below average at times,) breakfast is average, location and the room size is great!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Positives:

- Excellent location, just a few minutes’ walk from the ‘big three’: Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, and Blue Mosque. And within 5 minutes to Sultanahmet metro, 10-14 minutes to the Grand Bazaar, and perhaps a 20-minute walk to Eminonu, where the Galata bridge, Spice Bazaar, etc., are.

- Great rooftop with amazing views (as you’d probably expect).

- The room: while certainly not lavish or large, it was pleasantly comfortable, clean, and I slept well. Personally, a tea/coffee facility would have been a nice bonus.

-Free wifi (including in room and rooftop).

Negatives:

- Quite expensive for what is, overall, fairly simplistic. (But to be fair this needs to be considered in relation to alternatives.)

- Although it didn't bother me, I can imagine a lot of my family/friends wouldn't like the blinds that don't really keep the light out.

While some of the receptionists were friendly, most seemed somewhat gruff and either didn’t say anything or almost grunted - even when I said hello.

Overall, I certainly wouldn't mind staying here again, but it would primarily be for the excellent convenience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank James P
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I'm staying here right now and can't help but pat myself on the back and say "you did good". This is the perfect choice for me!

At a very reasonable rate, you can hardly find a better location than where this hotel is situated. It's been said before: within walking distance to everything of interest in Sultanahmet, on a quiet street, with a rooftop view to die for!

I'm staying in a single basic room, which is more than I need. I've got a large bed with very comfortable pillows and spotless clean sheets, I can just stretch out my arm to the minibar, I've got a small flat screen TV, a beautiful vanity piece, a wardrobe with a safe and a chair. I've got wall sockets for all of my gadgets, the bathroom is clean and the hotel provides toiletries.

The hotel has 3 floors plus a 4th where the dining room is and a terrace above that. You can have breakfast inside or outside which means you can enjoy a good start of the day taking in pretty nice views.

The staff have so far been very friendly and helpful. Check-in was no trouble at all, I got help with my luggage and breakfast service is impeccable.

Breakfast was so nice I can't wait for tomorrow morning. Great selection of bread, ham, cheese, cereal, yoghurt, fruit, eggs, chocolate, honey, juice, coffee and tea. I discovered apple tea and I'm never drinking anything else again! It was so nice to sit outside and have breakfast, I almost had the whole place to myself. Breakfast starts at 7:30 and is served till 10:30.

Internet is available in the room or outside, sometimes a bit slow, but otherwise very convenient.

I haven't been bothered by a lot of noise, but through my door I can hear what's going on in the hallway and I hope that people aren't bothered by MY sounds. The call to prayer hasn't bothered me although my window is towards the street. I don't think the hotel is suitable for all handicaps, since the entrance consists of a few steps, as well as the terrace which is reached through steps. Air conditioning works perfectly and it was needed!

All in all, I can't recommend this place enough. Its location, the beautiful building, the charming atmosphere, great service and good rates have convinced me and if I come back to Istanbul, I know where I'll be staying. Uyan!

Room Tip: It all depends on your needs, but if you're a single traveler who doesn't need to fuss, get...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank cristinablendea
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We could not believe how close this hotel was to everything we wanted to see and do in Istanbul. No need for public transport; we could walk everywhere. And yet the Uyan is located in a very quiet side street. It could not have been more perfectly placed. The view of the Blue Mosque from the roof terrace is simply breath-taking - it's so close. We arrived in the early hours and Ahmet, who was on reception, took us up to the roof terrace and it was a real 'wow' moment! At night, birds fly round and round the Blue Mosque and it was quite a spectacular sight. We were a group of 4 and had opted for 2 standard rooms but we were all more than happy with them - clean, comfortable, large enough and with en-suite bathrooms. There was a computer for guests' use which was so convenient and meant we didn't have to trek to Internet cafes. Breakfast was excellent with a good, varied selection of foods on offer, and you can eat this either on the roof terrace or in the breakfast room just below, which still has good views. The staff were great and took all our luggage to our rooms for us. Our taxi from the airport to the hotel was complimentary which was a nice touch and very much appreciated. I wouldn't hesitate in booking the Uyan again if I go back to Istanbul.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank keziah_11
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Hotel Uyan was a perfect location for this 66-year-old solo female traveler. A single room with a double bed was more than sufficient for my needs. It is literally down the street and around the corner from the Blue Mosque and Haggai Sophia, and just across from the tram that will take you anywhere including to bus connections out into the Bosphorus towns. The hotel staff was very helpful with special reservations, laundry, etc. There are six steps up to the lobby level so not for handicapped. Otherwise, there is an elevator, and excellent breakfast with rooftop views including the Bosphorus and Princes Islands. The nearby restaurants are excellent.

Room Tip: Thought the hallways seem to radio voices into the rooms, it is true for everyone so guests actuall...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I can't recommend this place highly enough. We had a deluxe room that was huge with a jacuzzi bath etc. The roof terrace offers stupendous views of the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia (which are literally a 2 minute walk away) and the Bosphorus and you can take breakfast up there or have an evening beer and watch the sunset, just amazing. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It was spotlessly clean and breakfast is included. To have that size of room in that location, I can't imagine getting better value for money in Istanbul.

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe room - we had 208 which was great. They offer a discount if you pay cash.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annabelle75_10
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Uyan Hotel is an excellent choice if you want to be central to the sights if Istanbul. The service is excellent and friendly, the price is a great value, and the rooms are clean and modest. I had a chance to see all the room options and you basically get what you pay for and more. My single was very small but acceptable, although next time I'd spring for a larger room.

The hotel is basically located between the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and the Bosphorus. From the roof top terrace, which is open 24 hours, you have a tremendous panorama view. Grab a beer, head to the roof at night, and enjoy the view.

The breakfast was very good and fresh. Large choice of fruit, vegetables, yoghurts, breads, dried apricots, cereals, etc. The breakfast space is nice and clean with great views of the area. The hotel could not be better located and is a quick walk to the Sultanahmet tram stop and is an easy walk to all the major sites in the old city of Istanbul. While there are many choices in Istanbul, I'd come back again.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business