“'The only hotel to stay in Istanbul!'”

Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
Ranked #15 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I was on a cruise a few years back and mentioned that I would be in Istanbul later I the year. An American sitting near me said that the only hotel to stay I was The Four Seasons so I booked. How right he was! Perfect from the charming reception to the outstanding, beautifully appointed and comfortable accommodation. The situation was exceptional : within walking distance of most of the major attractions so no need to be involved in the city's horrendous travel problems

Room Tip: Nothing to compare my room with but am sure all are of equally high standard
Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank janbtaylor
FS_Istanbul, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Dear janbtaylor,

What a lovely story, thank you very much for sharing! It is a great pleasure to read that you were happy with your decision and you enjoyed your stay in August 2013.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future...

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at the Four Seasons Sultanahmet during May 2014.

Istanbul will always be a bitter sweet memory for us. While we enjoyed a thousand years of history, my passport (inside my bag) was stolen in the blink of an eye. After the passport incident, we missed our flight and had to stay an extra few days in Turkey.

While unfortunate, we received immense assistant from the hotel's security department, from guiding us to the US consulate, to negotiating with the "laid back” Sirkeci Police to write-up a police report.

Further, the concierge staff had turned lemon into lemonade! With the help of the resourceful gentlemen at the desk, a last-minute 3 day trip to Ephesus, Pamukkale and Sirince was organized for us -- Four Seasons style.

Last but not least, the front desk staff was very accommodating in finding us a room for our "extra nights" at the hotel, otherwise we would have been stranded with no place to stay. To prepare us for our morning flight, the front desk manager arranged for coffee room service at 4 a.m. to nurse our sleepiness.

In summary, we found the service at the Four Seasons Sultanahmet to be impeccable and personable. Given our experience and situation, we felt that hotel guests comes first regardless of the circumstances, never heard a word of "I can’t", "No", or "Company Policy", etc.

Room Tip: Sometimes they forget to put the FREE bedside water in the evening turn down service. Feel free to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Alan C

Dear Alan C,

Thank you very much for sharing this review regarding your stay in May. I have noticed that you shared your post on our Facebook page as well. I'm truly sorry to read about your passport being stolen in the city and it is a big relief to see that all ended up very nicely and you had the opportunity to visit beautiful sites in Turkey.

I appreciate your valuable feedback on the bedside water during turn down service and I will personally look into this issue.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and for your kind comments. We hope you will come back and visit us again very soon...

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We stayed in Istanbul for 5 days at this hotel. It is in the perfect location to so many wonderful and beautiful sights. You are a short walk to everything. Being a Four Seasons property, it is also very well run. The staff is wonderful, helpful and always greats you with a smile. The lobby is gorgeous and the restaurant is lovely. Sunday brunch is a feast you will never forget. It was the most amazing brunch we can remember. The rooms are very nice...Maybe not the most amazing ever but they were well done, spacious, clean and comfortable. I predict they may have intentions of a refresh of these soon, although there is nothing really wrong with them.

One memorable thing we did was sit on the roof top one evening. The bar was closed already but the hotel staff arranged for a bottle of wine for us and we sat and enjoyed the sounds and views all around.

The roof top bar is a great place to start your evening with a cocktail before heading out to try a restaurant in the area or the one in the hotel. The staff is great and they always have great recommendations if you want to explore and try something new.

They have reciprocals if you would like to go to the Four Seasons Bosphorus for the day. Sultanahmet does not have a pool on property so this is a lovely option if you would like to spend a day at the pool. The spa at the Bosphorus is also worth a trip to. It's not cheap, but it offers a beautiful atmosphere, fabulous treatments and a lovely staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jennifer E

Dear Jennifer E,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your experience in July 2013. I'm delighted to read that you spent 5 beautiful days at our Hotel and you had the chance to visit our sister property on the Bosphorus as well.

I cannot thank you enough for your kind comments. Your words about the staff being helpful, wonderful and greeting you always with a big smile on their face made me have goose bumps. As we always say, our people are our biggest asset at Four Seasons. With reference to your comment about the rooftop terrace, A'YA Lounge I totally agree with you and I think that it is certainly one of the most awe inspiring spots in the city.

I appreciate your feedback about the decoration of the rooms and I can tell that we are working on a few exciting projects, please stay tuned...

We hope you come back and visit us again very soon!

Reviewed June 12, 2014

This lovely hotel in a historic structure is an oasis of calm and beauty in the midst of the frenetic Sultanahmet district of Istanbul. It is literally steps away from the Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, Topkapi Palace, and Basilica Cistern. As we were only in Istanbul for 24 hours, we selected this property for its central location, character, and promise of flawless service as we wanted to waste no time dealing with transit to attractions or problems associated with the room or reservation. Each person we came into contact with from the doorman, the bellmen, the desk clerks, waiters, chef, concierge, up to the general manager, who made a point of introducing himself, was gracious and hospitable and clearly concerned that our stay and experience was the best that it could be. Upon arrival, we found our room stocked with delicious treats, gifts, and a letter of welcome from the general manager, Mr. Purtill. Our room at ground level, even though it looked out onto a side street, was a quiet and serene refuge from the surrounding city. The design in soothing neutrals carries through the overall scheme used throughout the hotel, and as depicted in an Architectural Digest article featuring the property. While we chose to dine out in Sultanahmet given our limited time in Istanbul, the hotel's restaurant, Seasons, is reputed to be one of the best in town, and we did enjoy the glass-enclosed courtyard restaurant and terrace set amidst a garden for a sumptuous breakfast buffet the following morning. This was truly a lovely and memorable experience, and largely due to this splendid hotel, which I recommend without reservation.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear TCNtravels,

Thank you very much for sharing this post regarding your stay in May and for recommending us to other travelers. I must say that I loved the way you described the Hotel and it is a pleasure to read that you had an enjoyable time with us, the only problem being that your stay lasted just for 24 hours.

I shared your review with the rest of the team as nothing can be more rewarding and motivating than our guests' comments. I hope you come back and visit us again very soon. Hopefully this time we will have the chance to enjoy a longer conversation...

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Just spent 3 nights here after finishing Windstar Athens to Istanbul cruise. I agree with comments made by "Vistasweethearts" and "TracyP": the hotel has a fabulous location, beautiful rooms, and excellent service. Room was large and very quiet. Had fabulous breakfasts and enjoyed chance to eat outdoors in beautiful courtyard. Service was excellent -- Murat, the waiter who worked during our breakfasts, went out of his way to provide us with friendly, topnotch service. Rooftop bar with water views is also a plus.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear b175,

Thank you very much for sharing this post regarding your stay in June. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us and had a memorable visit. Please be assured that I shared your review with Murat and the rest of team as well. Our people are our biggest asset at Four Seasons.

I hope you come back and visit us again very soon...

Reviewed June 10, 2014

This hotel's location is perfect, walking distance from most of the main attractions and the grand bazar. Also the building is superb, it used to be a prison. And the outdoor terrace/restaurant is lovely. Although the food is not impressive.
The rooms are quite spacious but the decoration is a tad dated to me, it could use some refreshing. Also the air conditioning was not working properly, they did send someone to repair it but it made no difference.
My biggest disappointment was the gym/spa area. For starters on the website it says the gym is 1000 square meters, in reality it is more like 75 sqm. They don't have a pool, nor a steam room nor a sauna. Being in turkey you would expect at least the steam room. Furthermore the treatment rooms are small.
Service is good as you would expect from four seasons and concierges are all helpful and nice.
I would not return to this hotel but would go to the Bosphorus Four seasons, just because spa/fitness areas are one of my most important criteria.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank dflawless1

Dear dflawless1,

Thank you very much for sharing this post regarding your stay in January and for letting us know about your experience.

I'm happy to see that you enjoyed the location of the Hotel as well as the quality of service throughout your stay, however I'm sorry to read that you were not impressed with our health club facilities. I appreciate your feedback and I will look into this issue. Feedback from our guests are very valuable for us as this is the only way we can find out about our areas to grow. Luckily, our sister Hotel on the Bosphorus has a spacious Spa and our guests have an access to all the facilities at both hotels.

We hope we will be given the chance to welcome you again at our either hotels in Istanbul...

Reviewed June 9, 2014

The location can not be beat. Literally a few minute walk to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, City Cisterns, markets, etc etc. Hotel has an intimate feel that is difficult to describe. Service was exceptional. Wonderful breakfasts in a truly beautiful courtyard. Had dinner at the restaurant one evening and thought it was wonderful.

Turndown included some sort of treat every day from candy to fresh fruits.

Unlike anywhere else we have ever stayed. How many hotels can you say that about?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank vistasweethearts

Dear vistasweethearts,

Thank you very much for sharing this post regarding your stay in September 2013. I'm delighted to read that you found our Hotel to be a genuine place and had a memorable experience. I totally agree that "the Hotel has an intimate feel that is hard to describe".

We hope you come back and visit us again very soon...