“Great location - not as good as expected”

Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
Ranked #17 of 1,160 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Finally got around to writing this review - we stayed 4 days in June. First time we visited Istanbul so we arranged in advance through the four seasons to be picked up from the airport. We could not find the driver when we got through the customs area. It was a mess and we almost ended up with some rip-off car service so I would strongly recomend that the hotel has some better way of locating their guest when they arive. After we finally found our car and driver, things went a bit better!
We were tired from the long flight and the airport issues and the first room that we were shown just didn't get it! It was dark and at the back of the property, the windows looked out over a "dig" - I called it a constructions site! And there was some kind of noise making machinerey that drove me nuts all night! I insisted that they find us a better room the next day or we would check out! FINALLY we "made a deal" and ended up with the Presidential Suite! It ended up costing us about double our regular room rate but it made up for some of the issues, I guess?!
The location of the property is great - all of the other reviews have already covered that. You can walk to most of the sites that you will want to see. One caveat though is when ever and where ever you walk people pester you trying to sell you rugs and other crap! Like a mexican beach on steriods!
The restauant is nothing special.
Common areas are well kept, the courtyard is beautiful.

3  Thank Neil-from-Dallas

Reviewed July 26, 2008

Stayed at the Four Seasons Sultanahmet for 5 nights before transferring to the brand new Four Seasons Istanbul on the Bosphorus for 3 nights and that is the way to do it. The Sultanahmet location is on a quiet side street yet only a short walk to all the sites one would want to see in the old town. The hotel is small and intimate and the staff really get to know you. We were in a deluxe room which while not huge was a nice size and very comfortable. Housekeeping was amazing. I never once saw a housekeeper doing any of the twice daily housekeeping, the room was magically attended to whenever we where out. All of this does not come without a price, food and beverage is expensive but you just need to remind yourself that you are not buying the beer (for $15) you are buying the Four Seasons brand, the gorgeous terrace, the perfect staff. The Bosphorus location from where I write this is a totally different hotel and perfect in a totally different way. Review of Bosphorus to follow.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ryzee
Reviewed July 22, 2008

It really doesn't get much better than the Four Seasons.
Besides the excellent location near all the sights in the Old City, the service was outstanding, even by Four Seasons standards.
When we arrived early from our flight, our room wasn't ready. The front desk took my cell phone number and told us to go and enjoy the sights. We did, and a short time later I received a call that our room was ready!
Also, while we were out, friends who we were meeting, called the hotel to say that they were delayed....the hotel forwarded the call to my cell phone.
I had informed the hotel on our reservation that it was our anniversary. We ate in the excellent Seasons restaurant, and for dessert that surprised us with champagne and a cake. Returning to our room later that evening a second anniversary cake was waiting.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rogfamNy
Reviewed July 14, 2008

I want to put in a word for Ercan Ergonen. He's truly an outstanding concierge and he made the hotel special. The hotel interior is basically standard Four Seasons. The location, however, is superb because it is in the middle of everything, yet quiet and secluded. We had to swtich to Ritz Carlton the last 2 nights of our stay because there was no room initially when we booked, and Ritz Carlton turned out alright but nowhere compared to Four Seasons in terms of concierge service and location. The Ritz Carlton, in fact, is really incovenient for tourists.

2  Thank redmonkey
Reviewed July 1, 2008

The Four Seasons Istanbul at Sultanahmet is an exquisite hotel that is elegant, clean, with impecable service. The concierge is one of the best I've ever seen and the staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are luxurious with great views of the Blue mosque and Haya Sofia. The breakfast was to die for and the Seasons restaurant is one of the best in the city. Only thing missing was a pool! Without a doubt, I would stay their again

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Harry1203
Reviewed June 26, 2008

I don't see how you can't give this hotel a 5 star rating. I can't say enough great things about them from the staff, the room, the location. This is many times better than any other 5 star hotel I have stayed at. It was my wife's birthday and we could only splurge for one night, they made it unbelievable. They left a cake for her and were always bringing little gifts. The room was the most impressive room I have ever stayed in. The bed and bath, perfect. I am very picky and I always find little things that bother me, there was nothing here, they have achieved perfection.

2  Thank xcapeohio
Reviewed June 5, 2008

We stayed 8 nights.. 12 April to 19
1. Excellent location, cozy , but can be detailed inside better..!
2. Excellent breakfast place.
3. Friendly staff..(outstanding concierge, excellent receptionists, and one of kind room manager (forgot the name , ? Ehrkan.., very nice , He placed us in a nearby nice room, Do not try to call for the manager because he did not answer our calls, for one nite extension, gave us a counter descending look in a nearby cafe..!! on our 6 th nite stay, the café owner told us of his name and presence after he noticed our map, Mr.F…d, from Egypt)
..Do not believe hotel is fully booked , cause there is always rooms spared for emergencies
Be surprised if some showed an attitudes, because Turkish hotel workers are one of the best in the world., in fact some did during our stay..!
4. Cleanness is a credit to a very professional and very polite housekeepers..
5. Nice room but no exceptional..(do not count on upgrade. I did not get one!, I told them I pay for a suite, but was not able to get it)
6. Room service call receiver is an average or below average 5 stars hotel, missed our orders in two occasions and delays is the rule..!
7. Depressing Gym , small , poor light,. no Windows.., basement of a former jail house, suggest to close it!.

So Is it good place? You bit it is..
Is it perfect? , is it the best hotel in Europe? (as advertised) is it worth 560 Euro/nite? (what I paid)
The answer is a simple and sure no..
Will we go back again, a timid Yes, and hope to find a management change, newer Gym, better room service, better daily room fruit and perhaps, morning windows de-curtaining to enter the competitive world of luxury lodging.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple