“Breakfast with royal treatment”

Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
Ranked #13 of 1,178 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel but only went there for breakfast, and we had a great experience from start to end. You sit in the courtyard, which is beautiful, with the feeling of sitting in someones garden. We had a kolibri fly up right next to us during breakfast! The selection is great, and all is of highest quality. On top, there are little explanations next to the cheeses, hams etc, telling you their origin, which is a nice. Fruits are very fresh and plentiful. They make omelettes and pancakes to order- both tasty- and their freshly squezzed juices are as fresh as they can get (we tried apple and orange). On top, the service is superb. I asked if cheese and yogurt where pasteurized, and was shown whoch cheeses where, and pasteurized yogurt was swiftly brought from behind. Coffees and tees where topped up instantly, and everything done with large smiles. We felt very spoiled at the end of the breakfast and would recommend it to anyone staying somewhere simpler, but feeling like being pampered for a morning!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Felix M, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear 731jessicaj,

My name is Felix Murillo, I am the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet. Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience.

You know over the past two years we have worked very hard to become more personalized and more genuine and authentic. It is so special that you noticed and let us know. Thanks a million.

If I may ever be of any assistance within Four Seasons or Istanbul, please let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com.

Yours Cordiallly,

Felix

Write a ReviewReviews (1,622)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

A Four Seasons rarely disappoints and this hotel is no exception. Large, lovely, and comfortable rooms with a plush bed awaits you. Walking distance to the Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and Topkapi Palace. A bit farther to the Spice Market and the Garment district. The staff was wonderful and the concierge gave perfect dining recommendations.
There is only one "caution" I have. The rooms are VERY expensive considering the amount of time you may be in them. We had 3 days in Istanbul after a 7 day Silver Spirit cruise. There is so much to see and do in this great city, therefore we were rarely at the hotel other than to sleep. Our friends had a small boutique hotel for 1/4 the price that was also beautiful and served their needs. I would evaluate whether the $600+ USD per night is worth it. We were out the door early and back late each day.

3  Thank Stephanie C

Dear Stephanie C.

My name is Felix Murillo, I am the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet. I really apreciate you wrote about us and so many nice things.

Please let me be of your travel plans next time you come to Istanbul. I would love to be of assistance. Or if I may be of any help within Four Seasons. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We chose this hotel reliant on Four Seasons repute for quality comfortable hotels worldwide. Everything about this hotel is fantastic and I am a bit surprised it possible for other hotels get a higher tripadvisor rating because it is hard to fault. The location right between the two mosques and central to all main attractions is terrific. Right from the arrival, greeting, check-in, lovely comfortable rooms with superb comfortable top quality fixtures and furnishings, bed linen, multiple down filled pillows, robes, slippers, quality toiletries including L'Occitane soaps and an abundance of fluffy white towels in the lovely marble and granite bathrooms, everything is quality about this hotel. The property was once an infamous prison and has been refurbished to produce a delightful place to stay with a real feel of history. The lobby piano bar and Seasons restaurants are truly world class. We were delighted to receive a complimentary upgrade to a larger room on check-in, and finding the hotel and city of Istanbul itself such a delight, we chose to stay on for a day or two longer. When seeking to do so, we sadly were told the hotel was fully booked, however all arrangements would be made so we could transfer to a second Four Seasons (Bospherous) elsewhere in the city. We accepted this proposal, however others' late cancellations saved us having to move. We found the front desk staff were pleasant and well-informed and keen to ensure our every need catered for from information, car & driver, etc, etc.. The breakfast buffet in Seasons restaurant in its sunny garden setting is a pleasant delight but not to be missed is this restaurant's fine dining in the evening which was an absolute highlight and ranks on a par with any fine dining anywhere in the world. My wife and I enjoyed it so much so, we returned for a two more times before we left Istanbul. From the venue manager to the maitre'd to the sommelier (Oscar) the staff are attentive without being intrusive and the menu choices excellent. Specially memorable was a strawberry/chocolate dessert with balls of confection filled with frozen sorbet which was just sensational and one of the prettiest desserts we have ever been served. I have to mention Oscar the wine-waiter, a young man passionate about wines and obviously very proud of an emerging domestic Turkish wine industry who took plenty of time to talk and showcase the hotels offerings from the wine list he had prepared for Seasons. I also met the hotel GM during my visit and was able to personally express my wife's and my appreciation at the great property but specially the attention and hospitality extended to us by every staff member we encountered. Four Seasons Sultanahmet shall be a memorable highlight of our visit to Turkey. The only minor criticism is the hotel allows smoking on its roof deck bar and in the garden which can waft and intrude. Turkey seems yet to turn the corner to discourage smokers such as many countries elsewhere.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I arrived for our first visit to Istanbul from the wonderful Silver Seas cruise line. There had been some civil protests weeks before and we were anxious about staying near the area of the activity. As we had looked at the map of Istanbul, we found the Four Seasons Sultanahmed almost centered in the middle of all the historical sites and completely away from the protest site. We made reservations and were greeted by friendly staff and the manager. We were immediately showed to our room. We took a quick nap and had lunch at their restaurant in the courtyard. Food was great and courtyard was immaculately kept with flowers everywhere. We then took a short 2 minute walk and were were in the plaza between the historical Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. Incredible location!

Although you would never know, the hotel was actually repurposed from an old prison. It's bright sunlight colored stucco exterior with terra cotta roof was warm and welcoming. The interior was immaculate and inviting. The room was a top rank in comfort and aesthetics. I would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Our room faced into the courtyard, which is beautiful and away from the streets.
1  Thank hrhawkins
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Wonderful small hotel right in the middle of things in Istanbul - a quick stroll to Hagia Sophia - Justinian's 6th century masterpiece, and just a few steps further to Topkapi Palace and the Blue Mosque. Comfortable quiet rooms, excellent staff, pleasant restaurant for breakfast.

Room Tip: The deluxe room (standard) was great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have been staying, for two nights at the Four Seasons Sultanhumet hotel in the center of Istanbul's old city. The hotel is perfectly located within easy walking distances to the most important historical sites. It is an island of calm in a vibrant area. From the minute you walk in you are surrounded by beauty, perfect service, glorious views and the history of the building itself. Once a prison built around a courtyard, the hotel has been remodeled into one of the most beautiful properties we have ever visited. We check out in a few hours to continue our travels around The Black Sea. Very sad to leave this lovely place!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Felix M, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Cruiseinpashmina,

Thank you very much for your very nice review. It is very special to review your comments, specially at this time that the perception to the world of the demonstrations in Taksim is that the City is not safe to travel to, Sultanahmet is very lively and peacefull.

If I may ever be of any assistance within Four Seasons or Istanbul, or Turkey, please let me know.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Arrived here from Athens and was immediately captivated by the hotel. Having stayed in many, many hotels around the world I would have to rate this as one of the best with its ambience, wonderfully staff, facilities and position in the old part of Istanbul and will stay here again.
There is a great rooftop bar that looks out over the bay and is just the place to have late afternoon drinks however I would have liked to have seen it open a little earlier than 3pm.
The restaurant is located in a most beautiful garden with eating both inside and out.
Two minutes walk away is a street with endless restaurants and the hotel also offers a shuttle service to others.

Room Tip: Try for the 3rd floor overlooking the street or bay.

Dear Movinon42,

This is Felix Murillo, the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet. Thank you, thank you very much for your very kind words. I look forward to share your review with the team.

You are very right about A´ya our Roof Lounge, and I take the comment to look into opening earlier on the day. We did it last year but stop it because it became very hot during the morning and early afternoon.

If I may ever be of any assistance at all within Four Seasons or Sultanahmet, please let me know. I will be very happy to help. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com.