“A very memorable experience as always” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet

Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
Ranked #15 of 1,111 Hotels in Istanbul
Ruston, Louisiana
“A very memorable experience as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My daughter and I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last few years, usually for six to seven days per visit. The service and attention to details offered to us by the hotel staff is extraordinary. The staff always help us in our attempts to learn the Turkish language and to better appreciate the Turkish culture. We enjoy the brunch and dinners at the Seasons Restaurant especially Thanksgiving dinner. The location of the hotel in the older part of Istanbul makes for an easy walk to the nearby historical attractions (Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Basilica Cistern, for example). For shopping enthusiasts there is no better place than the Grand Bazarr to find that special gift. Each year we look forward to visiting Istanbul and to experience a truly relaxing and enjoyable vacation. For us, the Four Seasons Hotel at Sultanahmet will always be our home away from home.

Room Tip: Third floor room looking towards the water
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Felix M, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Philip C,

Your kindness to write about the Hotel is very special. As it is to have you returning to the Hotel.
Thank you very much.

I am Felix, the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet. I look forward to bring the news to the team of your comment. It brings me a lot of pride.

As always, please know that I am available at any time (felix.murillo@fourseasons.com).

Yours very respectfully,

Felix

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

This hotel delivered on every facet of service that I came to expect from the Four Seasons and I'm extremely delighted with our stay here. We stayed at the hotel for three nights and enjoyed every minute of it! I absolutely love the location (its proximity to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi and even the Bosphorous! As well as some great restaurants), the service (from the guy who met us at the airport, the lady who checked us in, the concierge that was always helpful in getting our bearings straight, the housekeeping staff who always diligently folded our clothes or arranged the mess of things we leave behind in the room in our constant hurry to go out and explore the city, and the gentlemen from the restaurant always giving us a perfect cup of coffee and always insisting on juice to go with it) and the whole staff's attention to detail (a fresh plate of fruit everyday in our room, a newspaper on our breakfast table, an always ready umbrella in our room, etc.)

Some minor rooms for improvement: have a more up-to-date DVD collection (most of the movies in the selection where 5 years old) for those times when some of your guests choose to stay in because of inclement weather (which happened to us); hot food breakfast selection needs more variety as I felt that we had the same food for breakfast everyday.

But these are minor in the scheme of things; I plan to stay at this hotel again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flippin73
Dear flippin 73,

Thank you very much for your very usefull and positive comment. I loved the way you took a bit of time to talk about the team and the attitude towards service. I can not wait to share it with them.

I am also looking forward to talk to the Chef and the Restaurant team about your reccomendations on how to improve, and also with our Technical team and our Concierge. Thanks a million.

I hope that you return one day, or that you go to another Four Seasons. If I may ever be of any assistance please let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com

Yours Respectfully,

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The Four Seasons property in the older part of Istanbul, near the Blue Mosque and the Topkapi Palace (a short walk from the hotel) , was originally built as a jail and was sometimes referred to as "The Murderer's Jail". We stayed in a suite that was once the Warden's apartment and it was truly byzantine in its splendor. The hotel restaurant was not at the same level as the hotel. The food was high-priced, "grand hotel" fare. Service was good but not overly enthusuastic or particularly friendly. One of the front desk clerks was borderline rude. I'd give it an eight out of ten for ambience and a five for service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank mythster
Felix M, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear mythster,

My name is Felix Murillo, I am the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet.

Please forgive us for not being there for you as you expected. Your experience with one of our front desk and how you felt, it is definetely what we want to be. I am very sorry for it. Please I would love to be able to apologize in person and follow up with you. İf you find this apropriate, I may leave you my direct email address: felix.murillo@fourseasons.com.

Yours respectfully,

Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

One of the best places I have ever stayed. Everything is A+

Location: Literally right next to Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque. Many rooms have views from the balcony, and if yours doesn't there is a nice outdoor patio. Location could not get any better.

Room: Not sure of the exact type of room we had, but it was on the top floor and had a balcony overlooking Hagia Sofia. It was amazing. Super clean and plush with amazing amenities. No complaints. Obviously you get what you pay for, but be aware that some rooms are on the ground floor and open onto the inner courtyard (which while nice, is not the same as a Hagia Sofia or Blue Mosque view). It won't hurt to ask,

Staff: Everyone was very friendly. Obviously the Four Seasons prides itself on service, but I was pleasantly surprised at how personable everyone was. Less formal (which is a good thing) than I was expecting.

Food: We ate one dinner in the restaurant and were pleased. It is overpriced (but come on, it's the hotel restaurant at a Four Seasons, if you expect a bargain, you need mental help). Food and wine were both excellent (Lamb especially). We had better and cheaper food in town, but absolutely no complaints about the quality.

Value: Expensive yes, but actually very affordable for a Four Seasons, especially considering the location. We were very happy with the purchase and feel we got every cent worth. You get what you pay for and not once did I feel like anything was overpriced (other than maybe the food).

Room Tip: Ask for a partial view of Hagia Sofia (by partial they mean your room is not perfectly perpendicular...
2 Thank Jonathan J
Felix M, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear JJamon,

I love your very sincere, down to earth and straight forward style. And I very much thank you for writting about the Hotel, about us.

I am Felix Murillo, the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet.

JJamon, if I may ever be of assistance at any time whether within Four Seasons or Istanbul, please let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com

Yours Respectfully,

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Just returned from taking my husband to Istanbul for his birthday. Upon our return he has been telling everyone that we stayed in prison whilst in Istanbul. And what a prison the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet is! Fantastic place, delightful staff, and the location is incredible. The Sunday brunch buffet was the final tick in the box before departing to the airport - well wobbling there given the desserts were beyond divine - and neither of us usually eats dessert.

1 Thank GoldfishWoman
Dear GoldfishWoman,

I am so happy about your comment regarding the sweets. We have been working very hard on it and recently hired a new Pastry Chef. Thank you, thank you for noticing.

Thank you very much for taking the time to talk about the Hotel. Yes it is very true that it used to be a prison. Hard to believe when you see the building! but it was and for over three quarters of a century.

Yours Cordially,

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just returned to Canada after a lovely week in Paris followed by 5 nights at this fantastic hotel in what may be the most intriguing city I have ever visited, Istanbul.

Can't say enough about how impressed we were with this hotel and its service. The woman who checked us in initially showed us to a lovely room on floor 3 which only had one window, and when I indicated I wasn't happy she showed us very readily to a much more beautiful room with 4 windows overlooking the courtyard (#211, which I would most highly recommend).

In particular I can say that the concierges were outstanding in their recommendations and when we approached them with our suggested plans for the day, they proposed modifications which always worked out beautifully. They helpfully arranged last minute Sting tickets, provided metro passes for our convenience and suggested restaurants including recommending specialty dishes we should order and it was all friendly and perfect. I, however, neglected to tip them out of ignorance which I regret and am still not sure if this is what I should have done. So many of the concierges were helpful that I wasn't sure whom to tip and how much.

Room service was impeccable and on the first morning when the delivery included a toaster with a question about how well done we would like our toast I was completely blown away. Room service was often sending additional Turkish breakfast items for us to try when they learned we had interest. Another thing of particular note was that we wanted our breakfast on our last day at 1 a.m. as our departure from the hotel was scheduled at 2:30 a.m. They arranged it all with not even a hint of hesitation.

Don't even get me started on the fabulousness of the location. If your stay is only a few days you just can't beat the spot...literally a couple of hundred feet from Aya Sofya and The Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace. Make sure you try the Turkish bath at Aya Sofya Hamam, and dinner at khorasani. After a couple of days you can venture further on the tram and funicular but avoid the taxis as the drivers are unscrupulous.

Would highly recommend the rather expensive hotel car service because it is just so convenient and secure, although at our departure I was concerned about the driver falling asleep at the wheel!

We were sorry to leave beautiful Istanbul and this fantastic hotel but hope to return sometime soon. Can't recommend it highly enough. If you can afford it, you need to stay here!

Room Tip: #211, overlooking courtyard. Quiet with 4 beautiful windows including one over bathtub.
    • 5 of 5 stars
Felix M, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Charlotte H,

Thank you very much for your very very kind words. For taking the time to write about us.

My thought comes now to say that How are we not going to spend time thinking of caring and caring for our guests when our guests like you take the time from themselves to write and share your experience like you do. It is a great lesson to see how our guests like you care.

I promise I will follow up with our driver early in the morning. That was not good!

If I may ever be of any assistance within Four Seasons or Istanbul, please let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com.

Yours cordially,

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife, daughter and I just returned from a three night stay at the Four Seasons Sultanahmet after spending four nights at the Four Seasons Bosphorous. This hotel is superb in every way. First, as many others have noted the location is incredible...literally steps away from the key old town sights which was a huge plus as we were traveling with our five year old daughter. The staff were absolutely fantastic in making my daughter feel special, including preparing a birthday cake for her and a new treat was waiting for her every day. We tried the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast and were consistently pleased with both the selection, quality and presentation of the food as well as the ambiance. The business center was small but very efficient. Views from the rooftop should not be missed. We enthusiastically recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jason D
Felix M, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Jason D,

It was lovely to have you with us. Actually all the guys at the front were very pleased to see you with us with your daughter. Thank you for bringing her along.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about us. Thank you. If I may ever be of any assistance within Four Seasons or Istanbul, please let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com

Yours Cordially,