Side Hotel and Pension
$128
$125
InterContinental
  • Restaurant
Eresin Hotels Topkapi(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
$77
$66
  • Pool
Angel's Home Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
$51
$619
$448
$178
$155
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfree teablue mosquegreat locationrooftop terracefour seasons hotelno lifta stones throwbreakfast roombottled waterrooms are cleanyogurtmajor attractionscucumbersultanahmetairporttramsights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Stayed in pension side for 4 nights, great place clean and space good in room. Had room at front of pension and not noisy at night. Breakfast nice and staff very helpful. would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2010

We spent one night at this hotel and found it perfect for our needs. On arrival the staff was very friendly and our room was cute & cozy and very much as described on the website. Its location is within a block of the Blue Mosque & Hagia Sophia & topkaki Palace. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small, but functional with enough hot water. Morning breakfast was wonderful and the day was warm enough to eat out on the terrace. They had a closet to keep your luggage, so you could check out and still site see before leaving the city. One slight security concern was that they asked you to leave your key with the front desk each time you left since it was a big bulky old fashioned key. Free Turkish tea all day in the lobby and internet available for very reasonable price. Overall a good experience and I would go again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rx2travelAlberta
Reviewed March 8, 2010

When I was initially looking for hotels for my trip to Turkey, I noticed that the few negative reviews of Side mostly talked about the unfriendliness of the night staffers. I just wanted to come on and say that this was not my experience at all, and I thought the night staff were really helpful and kind.

I stayed at Side for four days, and then stored my luggage there while I was in Bursa for the weekend. I came back from Bursa at around 11:30 on Sunday night, and had a flight leaving at 7:00 the next morning. I didn't want to pay for a hotel room since I was leaving so early, and figure I would sit in the Side lobby until they kicked me out, and then maybe go and sleep at the airport from there. I assumed, especially after the reviews on here, that the man at the desk would be annoyed by my presence, and I'd have at best an hour before he either asked me to pay for a room or kicked me out.

Quite the contrary. Not only did he let me use the internet and drink tea free of charge as if I were still a guest, I also was able to curl up on the couch and sleep for a while. I curled up on the smaller couch that was farther away and less noticeable so I wouldn't be a bother, but he actually approached me and suggested that I sleep on the larger couch near the front, so I could spread my legs out and be more comfortable. He woke me up at 4:15 and called a cab for me to get to the airport.

This was very nice of him to do, as I had already checked out and paid my bill three days prior, and he could have easily and justifiably asked me to leave that evening at no consequence to him. I am really grateful for this, and had a much more comfortable rest than I would have at the airport. He was very pleasant and nice, not rude in any way.

To sum up, please don't avoid this hotel because you may think the night staff is unfriendly, I really had a great experience with them. In general, the hotel was very clean, in a fantastic location, and a great price. This is the cheapest place I could find in the Sultanahmet area, next to Eurasia hostel, which isn't nearly as nice on the inside (I had a friend staying in there and was able to see the inside). I will definitely book at Side again if I come back to Istanbul.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank storm78900
Reviewed February 23, 2010

As most reviews say, this locations is superb. It's maybe a 6 minute walk from the Sultanahmet tram stop and 5 minutes to the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia. Our room in the pension had a very clean and nice private bathroom, and the room was decent (and clean!). I wouldn't recommend the pension for people who want to spend long afternoons in their room lounging as there was nothing but beds and a small night stand and mini wardrobe in ours. However, if you are in Istanbul and want a fantastic location, THIS IS IT! We walked everywhere, the spice market, grand bazaar, cisterns, main ferry dock, summer palace, etc. Reception service was so-so. I wouldn't complain about it, but no one was overly helpful there. The owner served us our breakfast several times, he was definitely friendly and responded to our small requests for extra jam, etc with smiles and a helpful attitude. If you are a semi-self sufficient traveler who doesn't need to have a concierge- type service, there are plenty of other travel-helpful stands/booths nearby. Overall, the location (for the price) is fantastic. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank kiska05
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I stayed at the Side in 2005, and it was great. Stayed in the pension, which had basic rooms but was kept immaculate, with nice decor, decent beds and decent bathroom. The reception was great and very helpful, and you could often find the owner hanging around at breakfast, ready for a chat. When I got ill, the staff took care of me, as I was travelling on my own. It was wonderful.

It was on the strength of my previous visit that I recommended it to friends and family in 2008. What an embarassment. Most checked out after only a night or two. The staff was exceptionally rude, and pretty much useless at anything. The breakfast had gone from basic but tasty Turkish, to stale bread, three olives, one slice tomato, and a triangle of processed cheese. You had to ask for jam. The rooms were still clean, but the it looked like no money had been re-invested since my last visit. The bed linens were starting to get threadbare, the pillows were like rocks, the towels had holes.

I know this was the pension side, but those staying in the hotel fared the same. As far as I know, the only difference between the two is that the hotel rooms have A/C.

Also, as others have mentioned, beware the credit card scam. They claim the machine to be broken when you check out, forcing you to pay cash. Yet, if for any reason you need to check out early, or break a reservation, they will quite happily charge your card.

Overall, it's not the quality of the rooms or hotel that I'm basing my bad review on, but the poor staff. Thoroughly ruined what was supposed to be a wonderful family get together.

Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family