“Opulent Gem”
Review of Seven Hills Hotel

Seven Hills Hotel
Ranked #128 of 1,181 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I booked a last-minute room (literally an hour before leaving for the airport for a business trip) on the recommendation of a friend who had stayed here in 2005- I knew the place must have been a great find, as my friend kept this business card for 8 years just in case he ever returned.

When I checked in, they offered me water, and upgraded me to one of the "Presidential Suites," despite the fact that I had booked the cheapest rate online. The room is exquisite- a corner unit with a wrap around balcony opening up to views of the sea and the Blue Mosque! The decor is a comfortable, yet opulent, modern take on Ottoman style with a large and comfortable king-size bed, a jacuzzi tub, and a stocked mini-fridge.

The complimentary breakfast is on the roof, with expansive views of the old city and the sea- I literally lingered for more than an hour, taking it all in. The food was excellent, the service on-point, and my only regret is that I need to leave today to fly to the Eastern part of the country.

Certainly, I will be back- in fact, I think I will be the one saving this business card for whenever the next time is that I have the pleasure of traveling again to Istanbul, one of the most magical cities in the world.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank HumanitarianPrincess

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Seven Hills Hotel is located perfectly for visiting the sites of Istanbul. A few blocks from the Blue Mosque and the Palace. Views from this hotel are increadible. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was pleantiful. The staff of the hotel was friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel for visits to Istanbul.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the room with a view of the Bosphorus. This includes a balcony. Well worth...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joan R
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at the Seven Hills hotel for four nights during November 2012. I have visited Istanbul on several occasions, and I always stay at the Seven Hills while in town. The hotel is clean, comfortable, reasonably priced, and the location is perfect for touring Istanbul's wonderful sights (the tram line is nearby too, so if you want to venture further afield, transportation is accessible). Beyond these attributes, it is the staff at the Seven Hills that keeps me returning to the property. Seckin, Ozan, and their team work hard to create a friendly, enjoyable atmosphere. Upon return from a day of exploring, the staff is welcoming and interested in how you have spent your day - and will help you plan your next excursion. Many thanks to Seckin who arranged taxis to a couple of remote locations - we wouldn't have made our deadlines (or the Galatasary game) otherwise! I have recommended this hotel to friends, and won’t hesitate to stay at the Seven Hills upon my return to Istanbul.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2013

A last minute booking for us. Our taxi driver took some time to find it but it is right next to the Four Seasons which might be a better guide to where it is. Top marks for location – a very short walk to all the central sights of the old city. A BREATHTAKING view from the roof terrace and breakfast room (see photos) will yield some good photos of the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia as well as all 3 water views of the Marmara, Bosphorus and (just about) Golden Horn. Breakfast itself is simple but with a fantastic attitude to service where omelettes are available to order. But the highlight for us was the fresh honey dripping off the honeycomb – mouth wateringly delicious. The hotel is not very big – a few rooms on each floor – we did not have a water view which only comes if you pay the extra for a suite but we had a clean room, with a good bed – but sadly only an OK shower which had a leaky shower head. I suggest you avoid the 3rd floor as we suffered from some evening noise from restaurant above, probably dragging tables and chairs to rearrange for the breakfast service? These flaws were made up for by the warmth of the service and the prime location. Come to Istanbul – we were blown away with how wonderful it was

Room Tip: 3rd Floor might be noisy - suggest 2nd floor
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We spent Christmas in Istanbul and spent the first 4 nights of our stay at the Seven Hills hotel. The hotel's location is excellent and even though it is nothig fancy I highly recommended, the room was spacious, clean and had enough bedding for the whole family of 4. The staff at the front door, the front desk and the restaurant are very nice and very helpful and the breakfast (included) was fresh and had a wide selection of breads, fruit, drinks, etc. The view form the roof top terrace and restaurant are AMAZING!!! The hotel is located accross from the Four Seasons in Sultanahmet and it is right behind the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque!!! The location is excellent and most of the popular places to visit are within walking distance and tons of great restaurants around, little souvenir shops and the famous turkish baths, I recommend Cemberlitas only a 5 minute walk.. The Sultanahmet Tram station is about a block away making it easy to access the sites that are on the other side of Galata bridge.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Claudia V
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Me and my wife spent five nights here in Nov. 2012. If you like us want cover the essentials of Istanbul in a couple of days this is the place to be. It's more convinient to stay in the olf town, Sultanahmet, than in the more modern parts of the city. There is a very friendly and helpful staff and a stunning view of the Bosphorus from the restaurant at the top. Oh, what a way to start a day! That morning view of the Boshporus, the Ayia Sofia and Blue mosques!!! The old fashioned rooms are spatious and clean, however not luxourious. The beds are too hard. The breakfast is quite all right and the guy who serves it is so friendly. You can eat and drink (available all day) in the restaurant, but it's a bit pricey and we think there are better options elsewhere. Very good value (we paid appr. 100€/night).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Sultanahmet is a great central location for the first time visitor to Istanbul such as myself and two girlfriends who visited for a long weekend at end of May this year. It is the old traditional part of the city and many of the main tourist attractions are located here on the south side of the Golden Horn.Unfortunately the weather was pretty bad while we were there and it rained a lot of the time which put a bit of a damper on the weekend. We were expecting better weather for that time of year although I think we were just unlucky.

We stayed in The Seven Hills Hotel which was centrally located close to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque and the Topkapi Palace.

We booked a family/triple room with one king size bed and two pull out sofa type beds for 205 euro per night as worked out cheaper than three single rooms. It was pretty basic to the point my bed pretty much fell apart most nights and woke me up as a result but I guess you get what you pay for! The call to prayer every morning at 6am was louder then you can ever imagine but you will hear that where ever you stay in the Sultanahmet so there is no escaping it.

The staff on reception were always very helpful and the hotel has a roof top terrace where you could eat and drink and the views were excellent. Most of the hotels in this area have roof top terraces also. We ate breakfast there which was part of the room rate but it was nothing special and pretty average.

Unfortunately we didn't eat in any decent restaurants for me to recommend in this review and we ate in average touristy restaurants both nights which you will find alot of in Sultanahmet as it is extremely touristy.
We visited the Grand Bazaar while there which was interesting but there is only so much you can take of the same shops, products and general harassment and haggling. Good fun if your in the mood! The Spice Bazaar is also worth checking out especially if you want to stock up on cheap spices!

A few general tips

I found when researching hotels for a weekend visit many of them only offered minimum of three nights stay at weekends. We were only looking for two nights so this restricted us from a wider choice. We also left it to the last minute to book a hotel and some of my preferred hotels were unavailable. Another hotel I discovered when researching online that may be worth considering is Empress Zoe Hotel which looked nice and had good reviews at a reasonable price. The Yesil Ev Hotel was another option we considered. All located in the Sultanahmet.

We had a nightmare outbound flight with Turkish Airlines to the point they lost our luggage and many other travellers bags too and we spent hours on our first evening after arriving in the airport waiting to be told what had happened to the bags.It was frustrated by the fact TA told us several stories about were our bags were and majority of staff had no English. Many of the staff were very rude also. We eventually got our bags but pretty much most of our first evening was wasted hanging around in the terminal. Would make me think twice about flying with TA again.

For the Hagia Sophia it is worth paying extra for a private guide as you can get to skip the very long queues and also benefit from the tour he/she provides inside as it is really interesting and an amazing building internally.

We did a boat trip one afternoon which although we got to see a lot of Istanbul from the Bosphorus. sadly the weather was awful and the boat took far too long so we were pretty bored by time it was finished.would most likely be a very different experience in good weather!

Istanbul is a great place to visit with lots to do. I would love to return and if i do I think I would choose to stay across the river in the Beyoglu part of the city and also pay more for a more luxurious hotel.

Ataturk Airport is the closest of the two airports to the city and a taxi costs circa 25 euro from here to Sultanahmet.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends