“not for me”

Ciragan Palace Kempinski Istanbul
Ranked #48 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Ok, the hotel is amazing if you are a Saudi sheikh. I am not and felt completely out of place. At check-in, you are greeted by hostesses with Louis Vitton bags - enough said! Everything there is over the top.

Frankly, I stayed there because it was recommended by Amex and my company had negotiated a good deal - and it was fine for one night. But I wouldn't want to spend more time there. The hotel is very posh, clean, but extremely expensive and its clientele, it seems, thrives on spending as much as possible. Breakfast buffet is about US$50 and a tea or coffee will set you back about US$10. Also, I ended up taking one of their taxis to the airport and it was a complete rip-off - paid 1.5 times more than what I paid coming there. So, apparently, the place comes with a surcharge of sorts. Overall, the place isn't bad, it's just that it caters to a specific kind of traveler and this needs to be clear to the person going there before the trip begins.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank acca808

Reviewed June 3, 2009

Ciragan Palace Kempinski is a luxurious way to enjoy the breathtaking view of the Bosphorus. I never got tired of sitting in the balcony of my room watching ships go by.
Their breakfast and afternoon tea come with champagne and are very fine and elegant. We also enjoyed our dinner at Tugra, the signature restaurant, which is in the annex that was once a sultan's palace. It is a beautiful place to spend an evening although I must say the dishes there were not as memorable as the ambience.
Another good place to be is the beautiful pool overlooking the Bosphorus, but unfortunately when we were there, it was too cold to have a swim outside. So we used the inside pool and jacuzzi which were small but cozy.
If you stay at Ciragan Palace Kempinski, don't plan too much outings. Spend a lot of time inside the hotel and enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2009

The Ciragan Palace hotel has an almost regal feel to it. Service is exceptionally personalised, with every guest being treated as if one is staying at the owner's home. The Hotel is expensive, but almost fittingly appropriate for the setting and experience. The location on the Bospherous is perfect, with stunning views of the strait from the back of the hotel. The Four Seasons, which is next door, may have more modern gadgets, but it lacks the charm and culture of the Ciragan. In any review of the Ciragan, one must mention the swimming pool - a magnificent setting.

This is the only place to stay in Istanbul...

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank atanna
Reviewed April 16, 2009

We arranged our family stay here while we had a dinner at the palace site. Overall a really lovely hotel with very friendly and attentive staff. Given its world class status and price per room however one tends to expect even more. One critism I have to bring is about our dinner. We arranged the dinner of 15 people a month before only because we wanted to have a Bosphorous view. Unfortunately, we were informed only a day before the view was obstructed becase of a party planned for the next day. If we had known this in advance, in all likelihood we had arranged the dinner and rooms next door at the brand new Four Seasons. The only reason we have preferred Ciragan was because Four Seasons restaurant does not have a view. Other than that, the restaurant and hotel staff was extremely nice and helpful.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2009

Rooms have lovely views of the Bosporus and the breakfast buffet is extensive with something for virtually every taste. Be sure to eat in the restaurant in the palace where both the food and service are outstanding. Not very convenient to top tourist sites; cabs can take forever in rush hour. The park across the street is lovely and worth a visit. The concierge was not always available and on occasion gave incorrect information. The pools are fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Cannot dispute Ciragan Palace is a fabulous spot located right on the Bosphorous. Cannot describe very opulent - one must experience. My husband & I booked a room overlooking the pool & Bosphorous for 3 nights post cruise in July 2005. As far as my husband is concerned this is the best place he has ever stayed. I don't quite share his enthusism. Everything was first class and service was efficent (except bellman never came on day we left & we had to manhandle own bags) as one would expect at a world class establishment as this, however I felt a lack of friendliness - very snobby. Fortunately our breakfast buffet was included in our package - everything from Russian caviar downwards. Would hate to know what it would have cost - everything was very very expensive, a can of tonic water $8, personal pan pizza +$40, etc. Also included in our package was afternoon tea which was exquisite.

Istanbul is a facinating very western city steeped in a rich history. Need more than 3 days to explore. .

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LJRVancouver
Reviewed March 9, 2009

There is no fault that can be found for this hotel….truly World Class. Probably the best service and most comfortable hotel I’ve ever had the pleasure to enjoy (and I’m old and have stayed in a lot of fine places.) The other reviews say it all and I just want to write about one thing that I think is misstated in some of the other reviews and that is the cost for items outside of the room.

Based on my experience, some of the other reviews are overblown. In particular, the person who said a glass of beer was $24. That is nonsense. The MOST expensive beer was 24 Turkish liras which is about $12. While that isn’t cheap, it is in line with other truly world class 5 star hotels. The prices are high but in line with comparable properties.

Importantly, what sets Ciragan apart from others is the fine attention to detail. For example, when room servcie delivered breakfast, they delivered a toaster with it so the toast would be hot. Every evening there was a beautiful plate of Turkish Delight candy instead of just a mint on the pillow. Nice touches and there are many of them in this hotel.

The Ciragan isn’t Motel 6 and the room rates and food costs reflect that. I am a very cost conscious person who looks for bargains and am outraged by high prices. But, this place was worth every dime.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple