“You can't tell a book from its cover!”

Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus
Ranked #104 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed October 18, 2009

I was disappointed when my taxi swung into the drive of the Istanbul Hilton, since from the outside the hotel is as inviting as an East European apartment block from the 1950’s! But you can’t tell a book from its cover, since once you step inside the Hilton you are met with marbled opulence and elegance; it is everywhere in the cavernous foyer!! However, I wasn’t given much chance to view the initial elegance, since as soon as the desk clerk realised I was booked into an Executive room, I was escorted up to the 9th floor exclusive check in at the Executive Lounge.
Here, check in was relaxed and (almost) correct; at least my name was correct but all other details belonged to someone else – not even on the same Continent!
My Executive room on the 7th floor was nice and large (an advantage of 1950’s architecture when space was plentiful!) and had the added bonus of a staggering view of the Bosphorus!! Probably one of my best hotel views ever!
The room itself was clean and recently refurbished with desk, chair and a huge (and very comfortable) bed, but the 20+ year old television was a bit out of place; where was the modern flat screen TV that would be expected in the Executive room of any other hotel of this calibre? Wifi was good and strong; not free, but there was a variety of tariffs to choose from. The rooms all have large expansive balconies (another advantage of that 50 year old design!) that allow the opportunity to sit out and soak up the great view.
One problem arising from the old design of the hotel, however, is the lack of sound insulation; antagonistic followed by amorous noises from a nearby room at 4.00 in the morning caused me to imbibe from the well-stocked minibar! (though why no tonic in the bar to accompany the three miniatures of gin??)
The breakfast buffet was busy and bountiful, and nicely included in the room rate. The bar on the 9th floor was cosy, with the addition of that great night time view over the Bosphorus! The Executive Lounge also on the 9th floor served complimentary drinks and snacks all day and offered an opportunity to meet colleagues and friends in a comfortable environment. Service throughout the hotel – at all levels – was pleasant, attentive and always friendly.
The hotel is well located with only a 10 minute walk from Taksim Square, centre for bars and restaurants and nightlife, and also close to some of the best of Istanbul’s shopping. Excellent maps and info from the hotel concierge made things easy to find.
I will have the chance to return to Istanbul next year for another conference and I hope to stay once more at the most excellent Istanbul Hilton.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Stuietoo
ZeynepOzdemir, PA to Hotel Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2009

Thank you very much for your nice comments and valuable suggestions which will surely be taken into consideration. We would also like to inform you that we are currently in the process of replacing our TVs with LCD types and most of our Executive rooms have new TV's now.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back on many other occasions.

Hilton Istanbul

Write a ReviewReviews (2,694)

Reviewed October 13, 2009

I was charged 500+ euros per night for staying here during the '09 World Bank conference, which is the most I've ever paid for any hotel room. The hotel is clean and well kept but clearly has seen better days. Many of the staff were friendly but some clearly lacked a service mind, especially the receptionist who checked me out. Worse of all, the hotel double charged me for the rooms, charging both my company as well as the personal credit card I provided them - one whole week later they still have yet to resolve the problem (After having called them at least 5 times, and written to them for the same amount of time.) To avoid such exorbitant prices and the hotel's ridiculous billing problems, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank guyfawks
ZeynepOzdemir, PA to Hotel Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2009

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to learn that we were not able to extend a more favorable rate for you during the IMF/Worldbank congress period, which was a very busy time for the entire city. We would also like to confirm that although nothing is charged to our guests' credit card, the release process of the pre-authorisation sometimes takes up to 1 week since this is an international transaction. We always follow up the releases with the local bank in Turkey to ensure proper communication takes place between the banks. We regret to learn the inconvenience you have experienced because of this issue.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at the Hilton Istanbul last month and it was truly a five star experience. The staff is enormously helpful, the rooms are large and the views of the Bosphorus are stunning. It was our 25th wedding anniversary trip and the hotel sent us champagne and a cake! We highly recommend this fine hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mic007

Thank you for your kind feedback and nice comments. We hope to welcome you back on many other occasions.

Reviewed September 29, 2009

The Hilton Istanbul is a very nice hotel. It is beautiful, big, clean, lots to do, and the executive lounge has great food/snacks, complimentary computers, and coffee and snacks all day long. There is a great view of the Bosphorous, there is a shopping district that is 10 minutes walk away, and it is a quick cab ride to old town. I would definately recommend this hotel, and my husband and I had a wonderful time! :)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flygirlpa
ZeynepOzdemir, PA to Hotel Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2009

Thank you for your nice comments! We are looking forward to welcoming you back on many other occasions.

Reviewed September 24, 2009

The location of the hotel was great with a fabulous view of the Bosphorous. The registration staff were slightly snippy. The room was average and we did not get the upgrade that was requested.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mumerida
ZeynepOzdemir, PA to Hotel Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2009

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We regret to note that you did not get an upgrade that you wished for. We would like to inform you that we always try to provide upgrades for Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members depending on the availability. We are also sorry to note your dissappointment about our Front Desk team. Your comments have been shared with related department heads, as "hospitality" is one of our core values that we constantly practice at every level. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed September 24, 2009

I stayed in this hotel in December 2008 and I am late in writing this review. I must say that the Hilton Istanbul hotel is a very good choice. It is centrally located, within walking distance of Taksim square, and also of other shopping districts and malls like Othman Bey. Cevahir and other surrounding malls can be reached by foot, but taxis are available at the hotel entrance at very good prices. The staff was very friendly. We arrived in the early hours of the mourning, much earlier than the regular check in time, and we requested two connected rooms, but were told that we would have to wait for them since we did not notify the hotel earlier. However, so as not to make us wait, the receptionist offered us two adjacent rooms that would updated to Bosphorous view rooms free of charge. The housekeeping and restaurant staff were also very friendly. The only two problems I found were that the soundproofing in the rooms is not very good and that an hour of internet costs thirty euros.
Nevertheless, this was one of the best hotels that I have stayed in and it convinced me to become a regular customer of the Hilton brand.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mako1

Thank you for your nice comments. It is a great pleasure to note that you have enjoyed your stay and our services. We would like to inform you we offer a special package called "Istanbul at Best Value" which includes breakfast, internet service as well as one way transportation from the airport. Furthermore the price of internet has been decreased since your last stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you on many other occasions.

Reviewed September 18, 2009

Just got back from three nights at the Hilton and it was a good stay. The staff were helfpul and polite throughout the stay. I did request a room upgrade (I was paying 275 Euro's a night plus tax after all and being a Gold plus member I expected a better room) but as it was full they declined but offered me access to the executive floor lounge and included a free breakfast in the deal.

I'd recommend not staying on the front (garden view) as the IMF building is in the proces of being built and the angle grinders can be heard most hours of the day. The building work is delayed and the workmen are on it all hours trying to get it done for 29th September.

The restaurant choice is good enough with a Bosphorous restaurant, Chinese Restaurant, a Terrace Bar/Restaurant and a small sports bar.

The Fitness centre has enough machines to work up a sweat in too and there's a spa to help you relax too if that's your thing.

In terms of location it's fine, within ten minutes walk to Taksim square and ideally located for the ICC congress, I was working at the new IMF building and it was ideal for that, althought the jobsworths on Security made life hell getting into the building and made what should have been a 5 minute walk a 15 minute walk.

I tried to book this place during the IMF and they quoted me 1000 Euro's a night, now I like this hotel but it's no way worth that. It amazes me that a hotel of this Calibre can charge the earth during a conference. I mean aren't they meant to promote tourism and industry rather than rip people off?

I'll let you decide if the hotel is worth twice as much as the Hilton ParkSA down the road!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind feedback. It is a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and our services. We are also happy to inform you that the construction of the congress centre near our hotel has been completed. We regret to learn that we were not able to extend a favorable rate for your during IMF period which is a very busy time for the entire city.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back on many other occasions.