“Great views”

Ranked #130 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
South Walsham, United Kingdom
“Great views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel has many positives. The bedrooms are comfortable (the beds being exceptionally comfortable) the restaurant serves excellent breakfasts and lunches with a great view over the mighty Bosphorus river. It has a good location for those wishing to visit the city. When travelling between the airport and the hotel book a reputable taxi (even if the cost a few pounds more) as there have been incidents of taxi muggings. The one downside is the staff are not particularly friendly.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms which overlook the outdoor theatre. There is often live music until midnight (even midwe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Clive E
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and valuable feedback.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Istanbul. Your valuable comments are well appreciated.

Hilton Istanbul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

One of the first Hilton's. Lovely stay with everything one needs. Staff friendly and efficient. Breakfast buffet
has a good variety and fruit is very fresh. The only negative is the room aircons which are set to 23, but mine was higher and despite requests it was never changed. Still I enjoyed my stay

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WLRoos
Many thanks for your valuable feedback.

I am delighted to learn that we were able to make you comfortable in our property and to secure a pleasant stay for you in general. However, I regret to see that we were not able to meet your expectation in terms of A/C in the room. Normally, our guests can increase or decrease the A/C by 3 C degrees, I am very sorry if this was not communicated to you properly or this was not the case.

I thank you once more for your valuable feedback and hope to welcome you back soon.

Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a lovely hotel with all the amenities. Service was outstanding, room was exceptionally clean and spacious. I would definitely stay here again and recommend this to anyone traveling to Istanbul. It would be nice if there was a gift shop or similar that would sell water and beverages.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your kind feedback.

I appreciate your valuable comments; and I am very delighted to learn that we were able to make you comfortable in our property and to secure a pleasant stay for you in general.

Bradfordwoods, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed one night at the Hilton Istanbul at the end of our visit to Turkey. Although the hotel is visually stunning, overall it was a disappointment. The hotel is very large and gorgeously decorated. It is populated by businessmen and seemed very impersonal. Check-in took too long. There was only one person staffing the huge reception area, and we had to stand there while a person in front of us was working out some problem with the one person on duty. We were clearly exhausted and standing there with all our luggage from the trip. Finally after about 10 minutes another staff person appeared.

We were upgraded to the executive level as Gold Card members. The allegedly nonsmoking room reeked with stale smoke. It hits us every time we entered the room. It's so strong that they probably need to recarpet the place. I'm sure this is attributable to the fact that so many Europeans and Turkish people in general smoke, but we did not experience this at other hotels in Istanbul or other locations in Turkey.

Security at the hotel was very tight, to the extent you send your luggage through a screening and walk through a metal detector like you do at the airport. Perhaps they have lots of high profile guests, or feel they are a target as an American hotel property, but the security measures only made us feel less secure.

Breakfast in the executive lounge offered plenty of options and we thought it was good. Internet in the hotel, including the executive lounge, was excruciatingly slow, if accessible at all. This was a problem we did not experience at other hotels in Turkey, including another Hilton.

Overall this Hilton was a disappointment. I would stay at another Hilton in Istanbul, just not this one.

Room Tip: If you want a nonsmoking room, check the room to make sure it really is for nonsmokers.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juliet K
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind and valuable feedback.

I am very sorry to learn of the inconveniences that you have experienced regarding the efficiency of check-in, room smell and quality of internet connection. Please accept our sincere apologies for these inconveniences which do not reflect our usual high quality service standards and please rest assured that necessary precautions have been taken in order to prevent similar problems from reoccurring.

We can only hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon, during which we will have the chance to offer you our improved service, quality and Turkish hospitality.

Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband (on a business trip) and I spent 6 nights at the Hilton recently. We upgraded to the Executive floor to take advantage of those extra amenities - a hot breakfast, afternoon tea and hot/cold hors d'oeuvres at night plus any drink you might want at anytime. The staff I encountered throughout our stay was pleasant, accommodating and spoke good english. The room was spacious and we had a balcony overlooking the Bosphorus. Lovely view. It is about a 10-15 minute easy walk to Gezi Park and Taksim Square where public transport is located. Taking the "funicular" down to the tram and then to the Sultanahmet stop to see the major sites was easy. The exterior of the hotel isn't very attractive but the inside is beautiful. Would certainly recommend it. Hope to stay again if my husband goes again on business.

Room Tip: A room on a high floor overlooking the Bosphorus.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Many thanks for your kind comments.

bangkok
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Since we were gold member, we were placed on the executive floor, however, our room was right below the restaurant where the music group were performing. We had a long day and went to sleep early, as we had a long flight the next day. The music started at ten, and I was woken up and couldn't fall back to sleep, I had a rotten rest. We used point and cash , and after complaining to the guest relation manager the next morning. She told us we won't be charged. But so far I have not received my points back on my account. They should be aware and NEVER sell the room out on weekend.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind feedback.

We appreciate your valuable comments; and we once more apologize for the inconvenience.
I assume that there is a misunderstanding or miscommunication regarding the points. We have rebated the amount which to be paid during check-out to your bank account.

Alicante, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The hotel is localized in far walking distance from Taxim squere and with no shops or restaurants in close walking distance. It is next to a convention center (one of many convention centers in Istanbul).
The hotel has an extremely unfriendly front desk staff (especially at the executive lounge). I made an online payment for an executive room. At check-in a man at the front desk was looking for over 20 minutes into his computer and he finally told me, that he could give me a standard room "for no extra payment" (!). After long discussions, I received finally a room at the executive floor. The next day I was forced to rush out of the room "because the room was sold to another guest, who is already waiting". I may have understood that they made a mistake, but the staff was extremely rude. I could not understand why they could not have given me a room which was not sold to another guest in the first place. I was told that I will not get a key to the new room until I move out of the first room (!)
The rooms are ok. The business lunge is very pleasant (except two of the women at the front desk). It serves breakfast and a mini-dinner in the evening. All drinks are available throughout the day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank szynka
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write on Tripadvisor to share your recent Hilton Istanbul experience with us.

I am very sorry to learn of the inconveniences that you have experienced regarding the attitudes of our team members at the Front Desk & Executive Lounge. I would like to inform you that there was an unforeseen overbooking situation at the hotel when an already in-house group changed their departure date; so that we were not able to provide the most suitable room immediately.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the attitudes which do not reflect our usual service standards and be informed that we have taken all necessary actions in order to prevent similar problems from reoccurring.