“Delightful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #128 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Surrey U.K
“Delightful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in the summer. I'd booked reward nights with Hhonors points so was expecting room only.

I'd booked one of the Hilton vehicles to collect us from the airport as we didn't want any hassle. So pleased that we did, although more expensive than a conventional taxi, (& we had problems time after time with cabs that tried all the cons in the book) it was a pleasurable drive in air-conditioned comfort with courtesy bottles of water. A great start to our stay.

The bell hop took our bags from us & we went to check in at reception. The very polite receptionist informed us that we'd been upgraded to executive level & to follow him to the executive floor lift. He pressed the button to summon the lift, we entered, he pressed the button for the 9th floor, wished us a pleasant stay & sent us on our way.

The doors opened at the 9th floor, executive level & we went to check in, still not believing that this was true. The receptionist greeted us, formalities were quickly completed, she wished us a pleasant stay & gave us our key to a room overlooking the front of the hotel on the 6th floor. It was a lovely room, virtually above reception, so middle of the building. We stepped out onto the balcony to drink in the sights of Istanbul as the view was great & to our right was the ampitheatre. We didn't have any disturbance from road noise but we did sit on the balcony late one evening to enjoy a tremendous lightening show during a thunderstorm. Amazing.

Being on one of the executive floors we were able to access the executive lounge which was great for fantastic views & more than adequate breakfasts, high teas, drinks, complimentary access to the business centre etc. We really enjoyed relaxing over each meal & drinks each evening with fantastic views. The staff were always very polite & accommodating, especially the female staff, thank you.There was always room for everyone even though it was quite busy at times.

Our beds were very comfortable & the bathroom was equipped with various toiletries which were very useful as were the bathrobes & slippers.

We enjoyed sitting by the pool reading & enjoying the sunshine. There was always a staff member on hand to bring drinks etc when required.

We enjoyed sightseeing & enjoyed knowing we were returning to a really comfortable hotel each evening where we felt safe. Some evenings we enjoyed drinks on the balcony & taking in the air, the sights & sounds of Istanbul all around us.

This hotel isn't contemporary but that didn't matter to us, we enjoyed every moment, doubly so as we were fortunate to be upgraded & we appreciated it all.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Roxy-Popsy
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to share your recent Hilton Istanbul experience on Tripadvisor.

I am very delighted to learn that we were able to make you comfortable in our property and to secure a pleasant stay for you.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon.

Hilton Istanbul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 12 nights in connection with a series of meetings held at the hotel. The hotel is fine, but needs an update to compete with its peers (I was not even provided slippers in my room) and I can't imagine staying here if given the choice. There is nothing stand out about the Hilton. Be sure to request a non-smoking room, although there are clearly smokers even on non-smoking floors (as I discovered). Restaurants are terribly overpriced.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind feedback.

We appreciate your valubale comments. I would like to inform you that we continuously carry out improvement plans and maintenance works to ensure the comfort of our guests, and some room amenities such as slippers are available upon request

We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Easy check-in process, polite staff and manager came over to offer his services. executive room on 6th floor with view of the Bosphorus, well equipped executive lounge on the 9th floor with view of the river, breakfast, lunch, high tea and dinner served round the clock. closes at 11pm, full bar with choice of wines, beer, juices, warmed nuts and coffee/tea. wifi available and also desktop computers. chill out zone lit with giant candles in a corner. there is also a desk constantly staffed to deal with check out, travel information etc. friendly staff that took pains to check the food as we don't eat beef. Room was well laid out, with plenty of space and a king sized bed, had the best night's sleep. complimentary bottled water and tea making facilities. fantastic peter roth toiletries, fluffy bathrobes and slippers as you would expect. health centre was well equipped but rather small and too far a walk from the rooms. took us 10 mins to get down there. impressively they have sauna, steam room, turkish bath and jacuzzi. indoor and outdoor pool, they run mat classes at scheduled times, and has a tennis court too. definitely a hotel that you will struggle to leave! took around 40 minutes taxi drive from the attaturk airport. location wasn't super great for walking, but we managed fine, about 20 mins walk to Taksim square where you can pick up metro, furnicular and buses to everywhere in Istanbul. 5 min walk to the military museum

Room Tip: ask for a view of the bosphorus, avoid the basement rooms in level Z
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adit3005
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Many thanks for your kind and detailed feedback.

It is a great pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at Hilton Istanbul.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Visited Istanbul with my wife, stayed at Hilton as a Silver Member, great room with the Bosforus view. Had excellent Ramadan dinner at restaurant and also excellent dinners at outside Lebanese restaurant. Enjoyed the pool, and received nice amenities in the room.
Hotel arrranged nice tour for us to know the city.
All was great, until checkout. It took too long to check out, they had a strange system to charge the credit card in two payments, and bill had one extra night, but the attendant fixed the issue. To my surprise had an additional charge to my credit card, very expensive. I inquired the hotel and they silently charged mini-bar without notification. I am world traveller for biz and pleasure and never ever saw this in my life. The worst part is that I had ZERO mini bar consumption on this trip. Definitely requested my money back, and well after several months and emails promising the credit back, they still have not credit back the charge on my credit card. Nice hotel but never again!!

Room Tip: Get a river view, very nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bosfurus
RainerG, General Manager at Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your valuable comments.

We appreciate your kind feedback. I am very sorry to learn of the inconveniences that you have experienced during your check-out process and afterwards; and I offer our sincere apologies for this unfortunate error.

I would like to inform you that we have just found your profile information and the amendment will be done immediately. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any assistance.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon offering you our improved service, quality and Turkish hospitality.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed there for 10 days with the family for a convention. The hotel is fine in general, but the fitness area is dated, as is the indoor pool, and they should consider refurbishing them. We had use of the Exec Lounge, which was fine, with a steady supply of drinks and quite reasonable food. Good location, good views, and a throwback to the good old days. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher up, south facing.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Andreas B
Thank you for your kind feedback.

We appreciate your valuable comments.

I would like to inform you that we continuously carry out improvement plans and maintenance works to ensure the comfort of our guests.

We have just renewed our spa and massage rooms and completed some renewing and maintenance works at the indoor pool area recently. I do hope that you will enjoy them during your next visit.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

This Hilton is large and built for crowds. Located abut five blocks from Taksim Square, it has a convention centre and large grounds. Self and valet parking. For honors members with status there is separate check in and a lounge with drinks and snacks on the ninth floor. One side of the building looks at the Bosphorus and the other at the city. The water view was nicer despite the huge Ritz ruining the unimpeded view. From the room, which is in Europe, you look across the water into Asia. That is pretty neat.

Every room has a balcony and a marble bathroom. The rooms are large enough but were getting on the tired side and might be able to have a little refreshing with paint and carpet. Our nonsmoking room had clearly been smoked in, and we kept the door open to let it clear out.

I liked that it has an ironing board and iron since so many hotels do not. The Honors lounge has free wine and beer and soda and appetizers at certain times. It too has great views but is a little dark. Our room was upgraded to an executive room, but there was really no discernible difference.

Nice lobby with somewhat inefficient check in. There was no orderly queue at the desk, and we waited a long time before being told that we had private check in. Upstairs we were fretted nicely and checked in but it was nothing special, but for an explanation of the lounge and breakfast.

We ate in the main floor buffet, which was nice but not overwhelmingly so. There was plenty of food, from made to order omelets and pancakes to Japanese choices and plenty of meats, cheeses and fruit.

There were surprisingly long waits for cabs a couple of times. It is about $25 or so to the airport.

NOTE: Taksim square is all torn up for construction and is a traffic nightmare. Be ready for delays, sometimes significant.

All in all, I would stay again. It was fine, just not as deluxe as I had expected.

Room Tip: Ask for water view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank withkidstravel
Thank you for your valuable comments.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay in general. We appreciate your kind comments regarding the room smell issue and check-in procedures. Necessary measurements have been taken to prevent similar issues from reoccurring thanks to your valuable feedback.

I would like to inform you that our Concierge is always ready to arrange any transportation for our guests beforehand. You may consider to book a private car on your next visit to Istanbul. Additionally, the municipality has just constructed a walkway for pedestrians and some roads around Taksim square have been changed; and our Concierge has the special maps to inform our guests.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I am staying in this hotel. It should be ranked poor / terrible based on noisy room and general attitude in reception. But I will grade it Average because of courteous treatment from some individuals on their staff. Let us start from breakfast. The buffet breakfast is below average in comparison with many other equivalent or lower starred hotels. There is no option for vegetarian / vegans. I have survived because I eat meat. The buffet lunch and dinner is the same story. The variety is missing. It is missing in main course, desserts and salads. The soups do change every day. When you are at the reception, you will be welcomed with a straight face. The queries will be answered in a 'stiff upper lip' manner. It seems, these people have not heard the words 'flexibility' and 'friendliness'. I must mention here that there are a few welcome exceptions to this experience I have.

Location: It is walking distance away from metro and tram stations. The location (was) good a few years back when the Ritz Carlton tower was not constructed and the Bosphorous strait.

Important guideline: DO NOT ACCEPT any rooms with numbers between 001~099. These are in the Z building - very near to the road. I am having a lot of difficulty in catching with my sleep. When I requested the reception to get change of room - the same 'still upper lip' and 'contractually and legally correct' answers welcomed me. I hope my experience will help other readers of this review.

Plus side: Location. Rooms are good (Considering size and structure). Brand is recognized.
Negatives: I have described those in my review above.

Room Tip: DO NOT ACCEPT any rooms with numbers between 001~099. Ask for and accept room numbers only from 100...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TRIP_BUDDY
Thank you for taking your time to share your recent experiences at our hotel on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate your valuable comments. I am very sorry to learn of the inconveniences caused by the attitudes of our team members. All the attitude issues that do not reflect our usual high service standards have been addressed one by one thanks to your valuable feedback; and please rest assured that all necessary precautions have been taken in order to prevent similar problems from reoccurring.

I offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience regarding the noise coming from outside. We are working closely with the local authorities trying to limit the outside noise from surrounded clubs.

Many vegan and vegetarian choices are presentable in our menus; I am very sorry if they were not presented well.