“The best is back”
Review of Divan Istanbul

Ranked #139 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed April 8, 2013

After complete reconstruction thee Divan is back in its splendor.
Everything in this hotel is at the top of perfection reviving the tradition of quality and style that the old Divan always had in Istanbul. Location? perfect, center of the city with everything in walking distance for the European side of Istanbul. Service? Divan perfect with competent staff, multilingual, helpful and occasionally friendly. Room? tasteful décor with quality material and furniture, well equipped bathroom, ultra comfortable bed in a set of cleanness and comfort. Restaurant and patisserie? all you expect from the divan name, top choices well prepared and well served. The only note of dubious taste is the bar: the piano bar of the old Divan was a tradition in town. We did not shared the experience of the new bar since the baroque decoration put us off.
In our opinion the top choice for Taxim and central European side location.

Room Tip: Top floors are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
DivanIstanbul, Director of Rooms at Divan Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your prescious comments. It is always fulfilling to hear the good feedbacks from an old Divan guest.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was in Istanbul with a group of friends during the last week of March 2013, we had 4 rooms at the hotel, mine was a deluxe room on the 8th floor, this my 5th time in Istanbul and this hotel is definitely my best accommodation experience I had in Istanbul.
The hotel is centrally located next to Taksim square, despite the construction going on in the street which supposed to finish by the end of the year.
The hotel is new, the rooms, the amenities, the service, the staff were excellent.
The breakfast buffet, the food was tasty with a good varsities.
The spa and the Hammam (Turkish Bath) was perfect.
The only downgrade was the internet, for such a five star hotel, it is improper to charge €15 per day.
Do I recombined this Hotel ?? Absolutely YES.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Wael A
DivanIstanbul, Director of Rooms at Divan Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you have a wonderful stay with us. We are hoping that the construction will be completed by the begining of August. On your next visit to Istanbul and our hotel, we will be welcoming you with a whole new recreation.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were here at the Divan Hotel with a very important, high profile meeting and everything went just perfect. The hotel is beautiful, new, in the city center, the staff so very accommodating and the customer service offered was outstanding! Better than in many European countries.

Nihal did a wonderful job in the pre-planning stage as well as making sure that everything came together just perfectly once we arrived at the hotel. Her help was just invaluable. We then had a wonderful experience with the banquet staff who were great to work with. Special thanks should go to Mr. Aden, Mr. Suleyman, Mr. Eren, Mr. Mehmet and Mr. Erhan who went out of their way to make sure that all our guests were perfectly cared for. Lastly, I also want to give a special thank you to Ms. Ferhan Kurar. We had a special request and asked Ms. Ferhan to come down to the banquet area to help us. She did a wonderful job for us and it made our stay at the Divan Hotel very special.
Again, many thanks for making our stay excellent I will be back also for my personal stays in the city!

1  Thank moaldi

Dear Valued Guest,

We are honoured to hear that we achieved to make a memorable stay for you. Thank you for your kind comments and your appreciation for our staff. All of out team members have been chosen carefully to provide the highest standarts and make you feel like home.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was one of the organisers of the conference referred to in the previous review of this hotel by David Hooper, and stayed at the hotel for five nights. The hotel is very stylish and modern, with a great location (which will be much improved once they finish building the Metro right in front of the hotel). It is not more than five minutes walk to either Taksim Square or to the big convention centre in Istanbul. The rooms are very comfortable and noticeably well-designed: everything is easy and intuitive. The bed was comfortable and I could even see the Bosphorus - just (I was in room 908... 906 and 904 would also have okay views) even though the Hyatt has spoilt the best views.

Conference facilities were okay and the staff were attentive. The conference rooms were an odd shape - too long - making the conference room very wide. However, the exhibition room (one floor down from the conference room) was the same shape (long and thin) and was very good.

The quality of the food was excellent throughout.

However, a couple of things knock off the final 'star' of this review. Breakfast is very expensive (£20-25?!). Even as a guest you have to pay for WiFi (c'mon guys, that is soooo stupid in a hotel that costs Euro200/night) and you are not allowed to swim in the (beautiful) underground swimming pool without a swim-cap on - and they will sell you a cap for TL 15 (about £5). Rip off! Why do we need a cap? I don't - I'm practically bald anyway.

So, included WiFi, a reasonably-priced breakfast and dump the stupid swim-hat rule and you could have had 5 stars. Not too much to ask for, is it?

By the way, the hotel makes a good base for some challenging runs (a good 10k goes via the Galata Tower to the Golden Horn, and back along the Bosphorus). Istanbul is much hillier than you might expect!

Room Tip: Room 904 was used by the parents of Eddie Izzard on their honeymoon in the late 1940s - and still ha...
1  Thank DoktoRob

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your detailed review regarding your experience in our hotel. I would like to inform you that to avoid any kind of limitation of content and speed, we are co-operating with one of the worlds best internet providers and this quality and service comes with an extra cost.

As an indoor swimming pool service provider, we aim to achieve the highest health standarts and regulations, that also includes swimming with a shower cap. I assure you that the price of the swimming cap is fair and also can be obatined from the close by shops on the Taksim area.

It always makes us happy to hear that you are delighted and satisfied with the famous Divan cousine.

Please contact me on edizt@divan.com.tr on your next trip so that we can welcome you in the mentioned room of Eddie Izzard.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I spent 8 nights at the Divan while attending a conference at the ICC. The Conference Center is 12 minutes walking distance from the hotel, which is very convenient. The restaurants, pastry shop and bar within the hotel are all superb - this makes it easy to get a very good meal at any time of the day. Special note on the bar; the barmen know what they are doing - excellent cocktails were served well into the night!

Room Tip: It is not a very tall building so pick a room on a higher floor to get a bit of a view of the surrou...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nadeem N
DivanIstanbul, Director of Rooms at Divan Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your kind comments and will be waiting to accomodate you on your next visit to Istanbul.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a very beautiful and stylish hotel near Taksim Square. The staff are excellent and decor is very stylish. I was here for a conference and normally in Istanbul I stay close to the Galata Tower (much more to do within a short walk), but being where the conference was I decided to stay here. It was about 40% more expensive than my normal hotel.

It was definitely more swish and higher star rating. The gym was great (better than my normal one). The food at breakfast was great (same as normal hotel). The room was definitely bigger and more plush, bathroom bigger, fantastic bath and a very cool looking shower (there is a but on this).

Now the down points. Location is really not good, just away from the better parts of Istanbul, local restaurants were not good. The cool looking shower, is the open type, totally open, so either you had a shower full of nerves about soaking the bathroom, or you enjoyed the shower and soaked everywhere - as I say designed by an artist not an engineer.

I really get annoyed when I spend a lot of money to stay at a hotel is to then be asked for 15E per day to use the internet. This is just greedy. But my biggest bug bare is simply that there were no tea making facilities. I like to go to bed with a cup of tea, I like to have a tea/coffee first thing in morning, if I am working I like a cuppa - for this very simple reason alone I would not go back. If it was 35E a night then OK, but this was at the other end.

So it is a great hotel, so much is right, but those small things just mean that I can't recommend it, unless you don't use the internet, always take a bath and don't drink tea of coffee.

6  Thank DavidGHooper

Dear Mr. Hooper,

I would like to thank you for your detailed review regarding Divan Istanbul. I would like to inform you that to provide a faster, content limitless and more secure internet connection we are co-operating with one of the worlds best internet provider and this exquisite service somes with an additional cost.

As the Divan Family we prefer to serve coffee and tea hot and fresh. For guests who prefers to prepeare in their room, we provide kettle to the rooms upon the guest request.

On your next visit to Istanbul, please contact me via my e-mail edizt@divan.com.tr

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was perfect!
Everything from the food to the service to the Rooms and spa was great
I like to walk and it takes 30 minute to walk to sultanahmed via a pedestrian street.
The location near taxim square makes it great for both work an tourism
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Jpjarami
DivanIstanbul, Dirctor of Rooms at Divan Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We are thrilled to hear that our services met your expectations and we manage to make your stay a memorable one.

We are hoping to see you on your next visit to Istanbul.