“Great hotel in central location”
Review of Divan Istanbul

Divan Istanbul
Ranked #138 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed November 30, 2011

A note to start: there are several Divan hotels in Istanbul. They are named in a way that sometimes you might get confused between them. The names of the streets do not help a lot. I am rating here the one in Cumhuriyer cad.
Having said that, the hotel is extremely pleasant. Medium size (not a mammoth hotel) which helps to make you feel home. Very elegant without excesses. An excellent feeling of "new" (which in my opinion is very important in hotels). Personnel extremely helpful without being too heavy (for example they do not insist in accompanying you in the room at check-in unless you need it, which I find very appropriate).
Both rooms and bathrooms are very spacious.
Breakfast offers a very large and first class choice.
If I have to find one small fault, is about the long time needed to get really hot water in the shower. A you see, a very marginal issue.
The hotel is in great location both for tourist and for business travellers which have their business in the surroundings. I'm saying that because, as everybody that has been in Istanbul knows, the traffic is really heavy in this huge city, especially at certain times in the day (late afternoon you better walk) and cars can find themselves stuck for very long time.
All in all a highly recommendable choice.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank marco_and_nadine

Reviewed November 23, 2011

When I arrived at the Divan Hotel I thought this place was a bit too ritzy for my taste, I usually stay at funky B&B's or local places but the staff made me feel very comfortable and taken care of. I was in Istanbul for a month on business and made use of their restaurants, room service, laundry service, and concierge quite frequently. I did not use the gym or spa but only because I ran out of time.
When I told the staff I only wanted my room cleaned once a week they respected my request and only did turn down service for me in the evening. I was left fresh fruit everyday, and although they had a fully stocked fridge and "honor bar", I did not partake of those, but chose to bring in my own water and snacks from the outside. the room itself was very comfy, the beds memory foam and the pillows very full and abundant. Only drawback is that the phone was clear across the room at the desk, so not convenient for late, long distance calls to home.
I did enjoy the free buffet breakfast in the mornings, it was a real treat to have local breads, yogurts, honey, olives and other goodies, although the eggs were a bit runny for my taste and took getting used to. The Japanese restaurant was very good, but the menu was limited and the ambience a bit cold. Also the ambient music was a bit odd and depressing. I liked the music choices in the pub much more, very hip and upbeat.
The Divan was very close to my workplace and to Taksim Square. I found I could walk to almost anywhere I needed to from there, and taxis and metro were very close at hand from the hotel if I wanted to venture further.
I would definitely consider coming back to stay here in the future.

Room Tip: My room faced the street and was noisy at night. Choose an inside room or one on the other side and...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor,

We stayed at Divan Hotel Taksim, Istanbul between Nov 6-9, 2011 and we are writing to let you know that our stay was excellent.

This was not our first stay and in one of our previous stays the hotel staff was very kind to supply warm milk to our son at midnight. This was the reason why we preferred Divan as our first choice to stay in Istanbul.

Divan Istanbul just opened its door after exclusive renovation. Food is excellent as it always has been. We never wanted to walk off from breakfast as fruits, bread and yogurt was as home made.

You can easily feel the quality and sensitive touch of the hotel management at each location. First of all, all the staff is friendly and smiling. They try to do their best at all instances. One night we invited our Australian and Japanese friends for tea to the bar. Although it was not in their menu the staff picked up Turkish tea from the pastry and served Udon from the Japanese restaurant of the hotel.

One night we dined at the Turkish restaurant of the hotel. The risotto was the best we ever tried. Our son went for Tandir kebab which was also excellent. Their vine menu and fresh fruit drink were also excellent.

Our son who is 12 years old received a connecting room for him. Needles to say, he enjoyed his own TV channels as a courtesy of the hotel management. Although located at the center of Taksim, the rooms were very quiet due to good isolation. A delicate of touch for the bed and furniture including all details of the bathroom makes us think that we will look forward staying in this hotel soon again.

The only draw back was the pool that was under construction but we never had the will to swim during our stay.

We cordially recommend the Divan hotel due to its very good location and hospitality. The price you pay is worth it.

Feza Korkusuz MD

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Divan hotel,in Istanbul,near Taksim is a brand new hotel,absolutely amazing!I was there for 3 days with my husband and we really enjoyed everything about it.The hotel is new,extremly well decorated,nice lobby bar,very good restaurant on the first floor,great coffee and bar with fantastic terrasse also on the ground floor.Service is great,as always in Turkey,the hotel has a brand new SPA which is fantastic (please note that as usual in muslim countries the SPA is separated men/women).Another advantage is the location-near Teksim and the metro,bus stop going to the Airport every 20 min is 50m away from the hotel (which is 25 km from the International airport). This hotel gives you the desire to come back in Istanbul for sure!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Elena123_11
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We chose the Divan Istanbul after a fabulous stay at the Divan Bodrum on our honeymoon. We arrived in Istanbul and stayed one night somewhere else, but it couldn't compare, so we switched! Service at Divan Istabul was excellent, the location was good, and the hotel rooms were large, comfortable and attractive. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet on the patio each morning as well.

It was nice to be able to walk through Taksim Square and wander the pedestrian street for dinner, drinks, etc., while still being able to go to sleep somewhere quiet.

Our main complaint was that the Divan did not offer access to a gym or pool while theirs is under construction. Instead we had to pay ($50+) to use the gym at another hotel next door. The Divan should have made arrangements for guests during construction and found a way to provide guest passes.

One more suggestion to management: the showers are big and lovely, but leak all over the bathroom. Sealing the shower door would help a lot.

Overall, the Divan was an excellent place to stay and we will go back. Especially since the hotel just opened, they are doing a great job!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Divan hitel with its legendary Divan Lokantasi with its hugh Turkish cusine is back agan after a 2 year long total rennovation. But I found the furniture especially in the lobby and in the Japanese restaurant very uncomfortable. It is obvious that the furniture hasbeen designed without taking the ergonomy into consideration. I have used only the Japanese restaurants and I think that tge Japanese chefs are briliant. I highly reccommend for Japanese food lovers.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Just opened after a thorough renovation, the DIVAN hotel offers a luxurious, spacious rooms, very friendly and helpful staff and reasonable restorant. Location is great, 5 minutes walk to the Taksim area. Swimming pool hasn't opened yet.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business