“Grand Hyatt was great!”

Grand Hyatt Istanbul
Ranked #71 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed January 9, 2011

The Grand Hyatt was a real pleasure to come back to each day during our trip to Istanbul. A real oasis from the bustling, busy city, the hotel has truly exceptional service, nice-sized, elegantly decorated rooms & bathrooms, as well as a plentiful breakfast. I didn't see any downsides at all, actually, and enthusiastically recommend it to others!

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Poveshom

Reviewed December 4, 2010

Stayed here for four nights in November 2010, and had I written this review on day one or two, it might have been a five star review. However, on the third night of our stay my wife was bitten by something while we were sleeping - maybe a spider, not sure what it was but it hurt and she couldn't sleep afterwards - but the front desk was pretty rude when we requested to change rooms. We did end up changing in the end but not without a hassle and we would have preferred to have been treated with more respect when we made the request (especially as I'm a frequent Hyatt guest).

First the pros - this is a pretty nice hotel up to most Grand Hyatt standards. Loved the location close to Taksim Square and Istiklal Caddesi (a 5 minute walk) - for my money its much better to stay in this area and enjoy the great restaurants and bars than in Sultanahmet. The metro is right next door as well which makes moving around the city very convenient. Breakfast was very good and the staff were extremely friendly and professional every morning. The bar is nice as well on the mezzanine with some good Turkish wine selections. In the room, the bathroom was incredibly nice and spacious - loved the rain shower. They provide free water twice a day as well. Overall, the room is spacious and no major complaints.

The cons - the rooms are getting a bit dated. No flat screen TV, an older one that I used to have ten years ago. The bed was hard as a rock as well and looked worn. As mentioned, the front desk staff can be rude. One other thing I didn't like - after paying $250 a night for a room, I don't think the hotel should nickel and dime their guests by charging 1TL to mail postcards (with stamps already on them).

Overall I cant say I would recommend or not recommend the hotel. The pros outweigh the cons, but there are plenty of other properties right next door - Intercontinental, Hilton, Ritz Carlton, W Hotel, Swisshotel - so I might try one of those next time I visit Istanbul. But I would also definitely return here if the rate was reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abellic
Management response:Responded December 14, 2010

Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for staying with us at Grand Hyatt Istanbul during your recent visit and for taking the time to send us your valuable comments.

Thank you very much for your constructive criticism regarding the Front Office Department. Should you have any additional comments that you would like to share, please do not hesitate to contact us as your feedback will help to guide our continued search for excellence.

I would also like to take this opportunity to inform you that the televisions in all the guestrooms are currently being replaced in an upgrade that will be completed at the end of January 2011.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Istanbul in the near future.

Yours faithfully,
Defne Tatari Üçer
Marketing Communications Manager

Reviewed November 19, 2010

Istanbul was very beautiful and historical place .
Stayed at Grand Hyatt Istanbul for 6 nights in November 2010 . Front Office Staff was very RUDE and USELESS . Our travel agency booked and we paid our hotel accomodation on Sept . 2010. requested for an early check in and connecting rooms . I even called the hotel front office 2 days prior to our arrival to confirm our request of interconnecting room . Arrived Istanbul at early morning as stated on our reservation confirmation .

To horror of all horrors .. after a whole night of travel .First , Mr. Murat has told us that our reservation was cancelled by our travel agency . No explanation at all .Got to call our Travel agency overseas many times .

My husband told them we got a voucher and reservation confirmation No. 45160645. We paid our hotel accomodation on Sept . 2010. A month and a half before our arrival to Istanbul . Why does Mr. Murat doesn't focused on the name indicated in the hotel voucher and the reservation confirmation .
No rooms available for us even we got a voucher and a Grand Hyatt confirmation of reservation with a request of interconnecting room . We understood that the hotel is fully booked and normal check in time was 14;00 p.m but what we were requesting was a connecting room because I have my children with me . I think all mothers would do the same .

Front office Staff was offering a room ,3 rooms apart from each other . We are all exhausted for travelling the whole night and waited for our room till 14:00 p.m. Only one room was available . Very distressing .
Front Office Staff was very useless, kept on blaming our travel agency eventhough we kept on telling that we have Grand Hyatt Istanbul confirmation number .We sounded like a broken discarded CD. They kept on confusing us by saying that our reservation in another name was cancelled though it was very crystal clear that the name indicated in our hotel voucher and the Grand Hyatt confirmation No. 45160645 was very valid .The front office Mr. Murat was very unreasonable and twisting everything .No hospitality or kind gesture at all . We even requested for a room besides each other if no connecting room available.

Being a helpless tourist family in Istanbul ,One of my son was already sleeping in the sofa and my 5 year old daughter was too sleepy , we agreed as family of 5 to be squeezed in 1 room with 4 big suitcases in the 7th floor .Waiting again for another room far away as it was was being prepared .

Five minutes promised waiting becomes. another hours . I kept on calling our travel agency in Dubai and my phone bill amounted equal to a one night stay .

The drama kept on going as the Front Office Manager entered the scene as I requested to speak to the GM of the Hotel. . F. O. Manager kept on blaming us and our travel Agency . His voice was very loud in the telephone . I explained to him that since September 2010 we paid our hotel and I even called Grand Hyatt prior to our arrival . I told him that we have reservation No. 45160645 from Grand Hyatt Istanbul . He told me that other guest have confirmation for interconneting room before they arrived Istanbul .I asked him how the other guest avail the interconnecting room confirmation . How come they havent told me when I called the front office prior to our arrival . I even aked how the other customers avail of interconnecting room confirmation . His answer was twisted again . Kept blaming our travel agency and told me that If I have a confirmation of interconnecting room they will upgrade us to a suite . Making the matter worse than solving it .
I told the Front Office Manager , Mr. Furqan that our travel agency is one of the biggest and reliable in Dubai but if we need to take legal action.. we will do so .

Suddenly with a speed faster than lightning and Superman , He offered us 2 room besides each other on the 6th floor . 2 rooms besides each other suddenly dropped from the sky .

What a great way to start our holiday ... our first tour was cancelled because of Grand Hyatt front office staff . Front Office Staff focused on blaming instead solving the issue . They made the guest feel unwelcome , helpless and hopeless .

Grand Hyatt Istanbul F and B Department were EXCELLENT . Thay are exceptional in many ways . Staff at the Agora Buffet breakfast are attentive and cheerful . Wide selection of food and the Simit Local bread was delicious .We dined for 5 nights through Room Service . Staff of Room Service and their Chefs were exceptional and the gave us the finest in dining . The king prawns , tomato spaghetti , yogurtlu kofte , spring chicken ,urfa kebab ,beef burger ,cheesecake are savory .
F and B Department made our stay in Istanbul worthy .

Housekeeping Staff always kept our room fresh and neat . They always make sure our simple request were granted like ironing board and the iron . The lady answering the phone for HK was courteous.

Warmest Thanks to the all the Staff of Grand Hyatt Istanbul excluding the Front Office and Concierge .

I hope . Mr. Jan Peter van der Ree,General Manager of Grand Hyatt Istanbul understood the situation we 've been through . Kindly do the needful .Please give proper training of Customer Service to all your Front Office Staff and Concierge.They must learn to respect the guest and to deal with courtesy .

This will be our first and last stay in any Hyatt Hotel.

BITA Tours toured us for four days . Amazing Istanbul. Visited Blue Mosque , Topkapi Palace Hagia Sophia , Dolmabahce Palace , Bhosporus Cruise , Spice Bazaar and Princes' Island .
From Grand Hyatt we walked several times to Istiklal Cadessi . The locals were mostly nice people. Beautiful Istanbul . So rich in history and a very interesting place to visit
Their carpets , textiles , ceramics and jewellery are the best in the world.

Warmest Thanks to the beautiful and kind people of Istanbul .
We will be back again

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
18  Thank DubaiSara
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Hotel room is below average when it comes to five star hotels.
Beds are very old and deformed from prolonged use.
Especially with price we paid for this hotel.
Hotel in general is dull and lacks spirit. I would never consider it again nor would i recommend it to a friend.
I presume that any other five star hotel would definitely be better.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ahmad_KUW
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Great environment, service, food, so all was great !

Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ton079
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I attended a week-long conference at the Grand Hyatt in Taksim in late October 2010. Overall, the location was great (walking distance to Istaklal Street and close to the metro and tram), the food (at the conference and during breakfast & lunch) was excellent, and the room was extremely clean. However, nothing was particularly exceptional, and there were some service flaws, leading me to conclude that this is a rather average 5-star hotel with a heavy price tag.

In regards to service issues, they put me in a smoking room initially, although my office had reserved all non-smoking rooms. Then, I never received a wake-up call the first morning I was there, and the next morning, they called an hour too early. Although apologetic on all fronts, it still didn't change the fact that there were a few screw-ups. Also, during meals, the waiters continuously interrupted our table discussions to try to take away dishes that were clearly still being consumed. It became a running joke at the conference... hold your plate and fork so they don't grab them when you turn your head! Also, there is no wi-fi, and the internet costs 3 euro per hour, and you have to use the 60 minutes at one sitting -- you can't check your email for 10 minutes and then freeze the timer. Unfortunately, it's all or nothing. Turned out to be very expensive!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank paquitaladelbarrio
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Friendly staff and extremely helpful. Food excellent throughout the hotel.
Bedrooms are very comfortable with good facilities if a tad old fashioned.
Swimming pool and fitness centre excellent.
Good views over the city from this hotel and the lounges are extremely relaxing throughout the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo