“Even better now”

InterContinental Istanbul
Ranked #92 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had stayed at this property 2 years ago and even at that time I had given it a full score.
This time was excellent as usual and even better still.
The reception area, breakfast cafe and club lounge have all undergone renovation and look sparkling new and highly elegant.
The elevators, corridors also look gleaming and grand and royal.
Service is flawless at each and every level and nothing is ever difficult for the staff be it the doorman or the concierge or the waiter or the housekeeping or anyone else.
The Cub lounge is a great area and it really pays off well to book a room at that level. Breakfast is free for Club guests and can be taken both in the lounge or in the restaurant. Obviously the latter is an excellent area to enjoy a huge variety of Western, Turkish and Japanese items and also a good place to notice some really fussy guests who need to be thrown out really. I admired the patience and politeness of the excellent staff dealing with such characters.
The lounge itself offers a decent afternoon tea and the evening snacks is actually sort of dinner with salads, appetizers , hot foods and desserts - again complemented by the excellent staff there.
Another noticeable thing was that there were many staff whom I had seen 2 years ago and some were even promoted to higher levels - a sign of how happy the property keeps their staff and is able to retain them well.
My only gripe of the hotel would be the exorbitant charge for local calls where I had to pay a whopping 30Euros for a 5 minute local call in Istanbul to an airline office for a lat minute emergency change of plans.

Room Tip: Chose the Club floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
ABalci, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review on our hotel. We are more than pleased to learn that you were dilighted with your stay and were happy with our hotel, staff and services rendered to you in Ceylan InterContinental Istanbul.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Just stayed a night but found this hotel very good. Maybe it's a bit of a business hotel because of its size and large conference facilities but there was nothing to complain about during my stay. Service is perfect, rooms large and comfortable. Breakfast delicious. Istanbul is a great vibrant city worth a longer stay. If you want comfort and no risks this hotel could be an option for you.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind feedback.

We are delighted to hear that you were happy with the hotel, our service and breakfast facilities.

We look forward to welcome you again at the Ceylan InterContinental Istanbul.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Have been in this hotel for 3 nights only, but I did enjoy the stay  the hotel is clean and comfortable. only few marks on the carpet and armchair. but that’s ok.
my only advise will be for young people not to choose this hotel if you wish to be surrounded with youth and fun, this hotel is for business only. Although they've got nice pool and terrace near it with amazing view!
The great thing about it is the location and safety! The hotel is close to Taksim, just walking distance – maybe 10 mins of nice calm walk and you are there… all shops and some architectural enjoyments 
I also loved the staff in the business center and reception! very helpful!
I didn’t try breakfast so no comment about it…

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind feedback.

We are delighted to hear that you were happy with the hotel and especially the service extended by our staff while you were staying with us.

We look forward to welcome you again at the Ceylan InterContinental Istanbul.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We just returned from a long weekend in Instanbul. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Our room included the club lounge; here the service was terrific and the view from the lounge outstanding. They offered wine, beer and hors d'oeuvres from 6-8. The food was so plentiful that we didn't need dinner. Breakfast was offered here, too. We also went to the bar on the top floor. Again, great view.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind feedback and comments in relation to this review.
We are delighted to hear that you were happy with the hotel and our services, rest assured that your comments will be shared among our whole team with pride.
Once again, thank you for your kind observations and review recommendations. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming and serving you again at Ceylan InterContinental Istanbul.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Ceylan is a good representation of the Intercontinental brand. The hotel is of a high standard with comfortable rooms, well equipped bathrooms and good dining options. The breakfast was particularly good. The rooftop bar is great. I was impressed with the service on all levels. The location is top notch with Taksim Square just minutes away. Recommended.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
ABalci, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you were happy with the hotel, breakfast, City Lights Bar & Restaurant, room and services, rest assured that your comments will be shared among our whole team with pride.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I checked in on Monday, 29th October, 2012. I had bought two alcoholic drinks (Chivas Regal) one at Bahrain international airport and one upon arrival at Ataturk Intl'e airport. My intention was to go back with both if not one to avoid the hussle of passing through the duty free shops again. I was informed my room, 104 was ready by midday, so i took my notebook n duty free bags to my room escorted by a porter. I placed my luggage in the cupboard and the two drinks in the shelf, then i went back to the conference room. I came back to my room around 8pm and found one bottle and its box missing. I immediately called the duty manager and they checked the door access info. Later they called me and said 'only the housekeeping had been there, and the person is very faithful to take anything', so i was told. Next day, i asked the duty manageress if there were any update and she said 'there's nothing they can do and if i want i can go to the security room and check the cctv footage of who went in and out of my room' politely. I told her i still had the receipt as proof, but i might has well been singing to her. On 1/11/12, i requested if i could check out at 3 pm instead of 12 pm, and was told 'not possible' at the reception by one who knew about the incident. Then, as though to make sure that i don't come back again, a porter broke my luggage handle as he brought it to my waiting taxi. I decided not to complain, because it would fall on deaf ears anyway. I can't believe this could happen in a reputed international hotel as Intercon. Just this one incident ruined my whole visit to Istanbul.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul R

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding our hotel and service. We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to bring this matter to our attention. Your feedback is a vital part of our business and it is through your comments that we are able to improve the service we offer guests at Ceylan InterContinental Istanbul.
Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused and please be assured that your comments have been passed on to the appropriate department for corrective action.
We do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Istanbul is a great city, but it is lovely to get up above and look out on the Bosphorus, the lighted bridge to Asia. The Ceylan offers a great view and also the relative quiet of the Taksim district. The bar and formal restaurant on the top floor are wonderful places to watch the city lights come on while enjoying lovely service, good food and drink. This hotel offers a better location than the Kempinski or the four Seasons along the water and more quiet than the Four Seasons in town. The breakfast buffet is staggering!

Room Tip: I think all rooms look out over the Bosphorus, but you should confirm this.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple