“Hauntingly beautiful place!”

Book In Advance
More Info
$50.00*
and up
Imperial Istanbul Half-Day Tour: Hagia Sophia, Basillica Cistern and Grand...
Ranked #6 of 1,119 things to do in Istanbul
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Basilica Cistern is the largest of several hundred ancient cisterns beneath the city that provided a water filtration system for the buildings nearby. This underground chamber measures approximately 138 meters (453 ft) by 64.6 meters (212 ft) and is capable of holding 80,000 cubic meters (2,800,000 cu ft) of water. The ceiling is supported by 336 marble columns.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We went with a private guide so we were able to skip the lines. He also helped us to better understand interesting features we might have missed. I would highly recommend this site.

Write a ReviewReviews (26,094)
All reviews
in 177 reviews
"eerie"
in 445 reviews

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I saw this attraction many years ago and as a lot of old memories it was great! I remember silent classic music, which surrounded only a few visitors, walking silently in deep estimation. Now we were surrounded by lot of tourist groups and voices of their guides in many languages. And Medusa – it was impossible to see, so many guests around this place.
Few days ago I finished the last Dan Brown book Inferno. I could imagine multiplication of tourists coming there. Entrance fee is not cheap now…

Reviewed October 20, 2013

It would help if you have an understanding of the engineering before you go in.It was interesting to see but I would not put it high on my priority list.It is dark and a bit moist down there and was very crowded when we were there.It is my understanding that a movie or two were filmed there so that might interest some folks.There is a charge to get in.If you have time on your hands it is worth a look.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Beautiful, fresh and mysterious place. Easy to get to, the visit is short, a must. Possibly for incapacitated tourists is not a good choice.

1  Thank serarango