“If you are rushed I wouldn't bother”

Istanbul Archaeological Museums
Book In Advance
$260.82*
and up
Ancient City of Ephesus House of Mother Mary Archeology Museum Basilica of St...
$169.54*
Private Guiding Service in Istanbul
$130.00*
Luxury Small-Group Tour of Imperial Istanbul Including Lunch
Ranked #26 of 1,061 things to do in Istanbul
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Besides its importance as the first Turkish museum, it remains one of the world's largest museums with over one million works. Opened to the public in 1891, it houses a collection of Greek, Roman and Byzantine artifacts.
Island of Gozo, Malta
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“If you are rushed I wouldn't bother”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Although it was nice, there wasn't much information about the objects and personally in hindsight I wouldn't have wasted my time going, since I was there for a short about of time

• Arabic first
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“I expected more”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I think a city like Istanbul could have done better. The layout is really bad and the light in some areas quite deficient. I just expected more, but still something you cannot miss.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Toret8
London, United Kingdom
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

A Museum Pass will let you skip the queue. Once inside there are a couple of buildings to visit and a cafe. There is quite a lot on show and information panels are in English (and Turkish). In the main building there is not an obvious order to the way you are directed around the rooms but I enjoyed it all the same.

Istanbul, Turkey
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Good museum if you like archaeology”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I visited this museum with my 14 year old daughter, there were some aspects that she found interesting and others that she just wanted to go through very quickly. As it is not a very expensive entrance fee, I would say that it is worth a visit. We rented the headphones, which I found good to explain some of what we saw. I personally found some of the sarcophaguses very interesting.

Visited February 2014
Izmir, Turkey
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Under restoration”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This museum ıs an excellent museum but due to restoratıon going on at the second floor
Many halls are closed to the visit and limited.