“Spice Market”

Ranked #4 of 548 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Spices, dried fruits, nuts and seeds are among the many treasures to be found at this bazaar also known as the Spice Market.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Our hotel arranged a taxi to take us to the Spice Market and we were let out right across the street. We saw an ATM nearby and went to get some TL and were almost ripped off by someone who messed up the screen and when it wouldn't accept my card rushed over to 'help'. He palmed my debit card and wanted me to enter my PIN which I refused to do. My husband had to step in and tell him to return my card and leave which he finally did. It was our only bad experience in Turkey. Most people are friendly and helpful to Americans.

We went on a Saturday morning and the market was very crowded with locals. I had wanted to buy some apple tea and Turkish Delight to take home but wasn't sure that the prices were the best. It ended up that we got better prices at a small grocery near our hotel. Afterward we walked to the Grand Bazaar and saw the University of Istanbul while we were looking for the Mosque of Suleyman the Magnificent (which we ended up missing and didn't want to retrace our steps). If you're going to visit both start at the Grand Bazaar so you will be walking DOWNHILL to get to the Spice Market. It was quite a rigorous trek walking uphill.

1  Thank Breadhead_12

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I found this smaller but altogether more authentic feeling Bazaar better than the Grand Bazaar. Mainly because it did what was more restricted in it's choices, well that is apart from Spices which were mindblowningly wide assortment!

The colours the smells were fantastic as well as fruits and fish. there were some souvenir stalls indeed I bought a Fez to replace my "Saracens Supporters Fez" (English Premiership Rugby team, the Badge is a star and cresent and the supporters often wears a Fez! It's a look!)

Plenty of samples to taste and doing business with a cup of Cay (turkish tea) is a pleasant way to seal a deal.

Take it easy just remember, go with the flow, have an idea of what you want to buy but also how much you need. Compared to Outlets in the UK prices are cheap but beware as it is very easy to buy more of a spice than you will cook with in a lifetime!

A first for me was the jars of Live leeches on one of the outdoor stalls. Not exactly sure what they were for. We all siad oh yes they are for medical reasons but no one actually knew how they were used!

1  Thank Diner4two
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Spice Bazaar is great. A woman in stall #51 has developed a spice tasting "program" that takes about 15 minutes and is a lot of fun. You sample about a dozen spices/spice mixes that her shop sells. No pressure to buy. It's a great variation of wine tasting : ) We enjoyed it and her English was excellent.

4  Thank chester1
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was impressed by the myriad and diversity of products. Look around, bargain, buy yourself a dessert and the loved ones back home some souvenirs.

1  Thank roslayer
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Egyptian Bazaar also known as the Grand Bazaar is the busiest place I have ever visited when it comes to people traffic! The shopping is great and there is certainly something you can find for everyone.