“Interesting”

Book In Advance
More Info
$49.63*
and up
Istanbul Grand Bazaar and Egyptian Bazaar...
Ranked #98 of 1,137 things to do in Istanbul
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bargaining for goods is standard practice at the largest covered market in Turkey, rumored to contain over 4,000 shops.
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Interesting place, but a little overwhelming. Too crowed, too smelly. It is nice experience, but I didn't like it very much

Write a ReviewReviews (9,559)
All reviews
in 62 reviews
"bargain"
in 862 reviews

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Its fun to see the Grand Bazaar and of course picture the latest James Bond movie Skyfall. Personally I find the place too overwhelming. 4000 shops all vying for your cash. Endless corridors. Unless you are an avowed shopaholic, go for a while to say you have been but then move on to the far more engaging sites in Istanbul

1  Thank nic1954
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is the epitome of the shopping experience in Old Town Istanbul. You can shop at Abdullah's and the four dhoku carpet stores without haggling. Abdullah has fine organic products, soaps, and towels. Dhoku carpets are beautiful contemporary carpets made from recycled wool or the actual traditional kilims. Wander around and make your discoveries.

This bazaar is overwhelmingly huge, and we found "Covered Grand Bazaar" from the "Quick Guide Series: Istanbul" to be an invaluable resource. It has a detailed map with all the street names, types of shops, etc., in a laminated folder format. In fact, we bought the whole series online and brought them with us to use as guides in the Haggia Sophia, Archeological Museums, etc. They are excellent.

1  Thank bdhunter
Reviewed November 21, 2012

First of all if you love shopping or you don't know what to get as a souvenir, this is the place for you!!! There are so many shops here it can be overwhelming to many. The baazar is so massive that you literally need a map, and if you are not careful you could get lost. The shops are placed in sectioned rows (leather, cloths, jewelery, gold, lamps, etc) and most shops have exactly what the next shop may have.
Like in much of Turkey the shops accept American Dollars, Euros, and Turkish Lira. It is a great place to bargain for good prices because in most if not all the shops you can haggle. It is customary to see the price and then start at half the price and meet somewhere in the middle. I got a nice hand painted camel bone jewelery box (even though I don't wear jewelery) that was originally priced at 30-35 Euros for just 10 Euros. How I did it was I asked the guy how much it was and then offered the price of 10 Euros because I told him that was all I had (I had maybe about 50 Euros on me at the time). He tried to haggle down the price but I stood my ground telling him that was "all I had on me". He finally relented and gave me the price. The shops really want your business and know that since there are so many other shops around that you may get the price you were looking for. Don't ask how much the price is if you are not serious about buying that item or if you can look at the price yourself. If someone asks if you need help just say "I'm just looking right now but I'll let you know if I do." Otherwise you get dragged into the drama of the shop owners pressuring you to buy. Most do get insulted if you ask and then decide you don't want it. Do some research. For example I went to about 3 shops that had the jewelery boxes. All about the same price and all hand painted camel bone.
Be aware of pickpockets. The bazaar both in and out can be very crowded and especially tourists can be the victims of theft or pickpockets. Don't carry any very important info such as social security cards, health insurance cards, driver's licenses, or any large amounts of cash you might not need. Keep your credit cards separated from your wallet or bag just in case it gets stolen. I was on a cruise so I kept my important items and half my cash in the safe and only carried my wallet in my jeans. I made sure I kept my hands next to my pockets and walked around at times with my hands in my pockets. I recommend doing random checks to make sure everything is still there in your pocket.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Grand bazaar was a nice experiences more than 4000 shops with 18 exits but again you see the same things every where you walk. The price they open will shock you. But again its a bargaining market if you were told the price is for 100 lira, You can get it for 20 lira :)
Decide what you want and then give them a price you are comfortable with and if they don't meet your price walk away, chances are 95% they will call you back and say ok or just browse from other shops.

E.g
A t shirt shall not cost more then 10 lira, dont pay a single cent extra
a fridge magnet small one 1 lira and a bigger one 2 lira tops.
The sultan Sultanahmet tram stop also has many shops with good deal.

Beware of turkish delight when you buy them and try them before you buy due to many mixtures from grand bazaar.

Please take note grand bazaar is close on sunday but spice market or known as egyption market is open everyday or you can visit arsta bazaar in Sultanahmet.

2  Thank Deepak33