“My local guide, Salih”

Private Layover Tour by My Local Guide Istanbul
Ranked #18 of 89 Food & Drink in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: See the local places and local faces of Turkey with My Local Guide Istanbul. Istanbul is a melting pot of European and Asian influences, a mix of the traditional and modern worlds and the best way to explore the city is with My Local Guide Istanbul. Immerse yourself in the heart and soul of the only city in the world that crosses two continents. Walk in the mazes of local streets, visit hidden historic destinations, drink tea with the locals and taste the rich and flavoursome cuisine of the region. My Local Guide Istanbul, with five years experience in leading tours for english-speaking International travellers, offers tours designed and delivered by local people with a passion for Turkey and travel. We specialise in tours for the independent traveller who likes to walk side by side with the locals and explore places that are not easy to discover on your own.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Why do we travel if not to learn and feel? Istanbul is a melting pot of history, culture and religion and it is baffling to know where to start to really unravel the essence of this ancient city. Wandering the streets with Salih was like having a friend show you the inside of the city and its people. His passion for history is evident as he explains the stories behind everything you see from the vast mosques to the tastes and smells of the spice bazaar. All questions were answered with knowledge and grace- even more personal questions as I sought to learn a little about Islam and Turkish day to day life. I can not recommend ' My local guide Istanbul' highly enough to any travellers seeking to learn history, see how local people live or simply enjoy a foreign place. I learned so much from Salih and through him experienced a real passion for the history and culture of his city.

1  Thank belindab512
"asian side"
in 42 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 28 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 18 reviews
in 9 reviews
"old city"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My Local Guide Istanbul is a refreshingly different way to get to know a new city. I signed up for two tours, Secrets of Istanbul and Taste of Turkey on Two Continents.

What a great experience. Secrets of Istanbul was an excellent way to be introduced to the city’s amazingly rich history. Your guide, Salih, is very personable and has deep knowledge of Istanbul and Turkey, which he is happy to share. As you take in the sounds and sights, visit major attractions as well as small local eateries and teahouses, Salih also gives the interested visitor a glimpse into every-day life.

Taste of Turkey on Two Continents is another, yet different way to get a more personal feel for the city. From the stunning views of historic Istanbul, as you take the ferry to the city’s Asian districts, to appetizers at a local market, dinner in one of the vibrant, narrow streets of Kadıköy, and Turkish ice cream back on the European side, Salih’s My Local Guide Istanbul offers a unique experience you will not get when hopping onto one of the many tourist buses that only show you this beautiful city from the seat of a bus.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We decided to take a guided tour of Istanbul based on the positive reviews we read about Salih (My Local Guide Istanbul) and, indeed, our expectations were exceeded. We went for the "Istanbul on 2 continents tour" which cleverly combines history, present days lifestyle of Turkish people living in Istanbul and a very appreciated immersion in the fabulous Turkish/Kurdish cuisine.
Salih, our guide, is a top professional, very well informed and happy to reveal any of the many secrets of Istanbul.
Our experience was truly amazing, as we could feel the real taste of the local Turkish life.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

A totally un-rushed tour given to you by a local, taking you to local places.

Salih, the guide, has an easy way about himself which makes you feel like a friend.
A ferry ride to the Asian side of the city, a market visit, the restaurant, a ferry back to the European side, a desert shop, and games at a tea/chukka shop, all in one tour,
and all worth the price.

It was an excellent evening spent in a great city.

1  Thank Blottoinnyc
See more reviews
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were only in Istanbul for 5 nights and wanted to experience as much of Istanbul as possible from a local's point of view without feeling like we were being dragged along like tourist sheep. We booked all 3 of Salih's tours- Secrets of Istanbul, Istanbul Heritage and Taste of Turkey- which we spread out over our stay. Salih surpassed our expectations with his knowledge and the variety of experiences he planned. All three were different and we never went over the same ground such is the diversity of his tours. We visited places we never would have on our own and that is exactly what we wanted to achieve. Getting out of the tourist mainstream is interesting and rewarding and Salih was gracious, informative and attentive...this was evident when he spent the night with only my husband and I- who are old enough to be his parents - and he was a genuine host until we called it a night. Thank you, Salih!