“Bottom line - a great experience”

My Local Guide - Istanbul
Ranked #3 of 77 Food & Drink in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: See the local places and local faces of Turkey with My Local Guide Istanbul. Istanbul is a melting pot of European and Asian influences, a mix of the traditional and modern worlds and the best way to explore the city is with My Local Guide Istanbul. Immerse yourself in the heart and soul of the only city in the world that crosses two continents. Walk in the mazes of local streets, visit hidden historic destinations, drink tea with the locals and taste the rich and flavoursome cuisine of the region. My Local Guide Istanbul, with five years experience in leading tours for english-speaking International travellers, offers tours designed and delivered by local people with a passion for Turkey and travel. We specialise in tours for the independent traveller who likes to walk side by side with the locals and explore places that are not easy to discover on your own.
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The best tour guides are informed, hospitable, and passionate about their work - Salih is all of the above. We were two people and we made our booking at midnight the night before - and Salih accomodated us, even though we were actually the only people on the tour that day. Unlike many guide companies, he doesn't do things just to profit. He runs his business the right way and bends over backwards for his clients - because he is passionate about his work, and about sharing the culture and history of Istanbul with visitors. Our tour ended up being especially small, but he always keeps a size limit, so it will never be more than 11-12 guests anyhow.

Istanbul is a massive, sprawling, maze-like city and the tour helped to make it manageable - a great jumping off point for my time here. I learned a lot about the history and the sites, but I also just enjoyed hanging out and walking around with Salih. Many of the other tours seemed to be far more expensive but I couldn't imagine a better, more personable experience than the one we had (Salih also led us around for way over the amount of time allotted for the tour). My buddy and I did the Secrets of Istanbul tour and will be going back for the Istanbul in Two Continents tour.

1  Thank NohgT
There are newer reviews for My Local Guide - Istanbul

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Salih is a great tour guide and that shows not only from his knowledge about the sites but also some of the local culture he shares with his clients. I took the "Secrets of Istanbul" and thoroughly enjoyed the tour. As a result, I signed up for another one of his night time tours. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Jeff F
Reviewed March 6, 2013

What a beautiful city! Came here on my own to do a bit of exploring and decided to give this guy a try.
Had a nice time with Salil, but most of the places we toured and explored were places I had already found on my own. Showed us a lot of "local" spots, but still seemed a bit touristy. Would be interested in something a bit more off the beaten path if you catch my drift.
All in all I can't wait to come back and delve into the rich history and culture of this brilliant city.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I did 3 fantastic tours with Salih. I saw all the main sights and the oriental part with its wonderful market. Also the food was great. Salih is very reliable, kind and professional. I work as a tourguide myself and I must admit that i could learn a lot during his tours. To be honest his tours worth much more than you will pay! I had the feeling to be around Istanbul with a friend and i will certainly book him again. I recommend it to everybody. You will have the same great experience! Dont miss it!
Leo

Reviewed March 5, 2013

After thoroughly researching tour options for our trip to Istanbul, my wife and I settled on The Taste of Turkey and Istanbul Nightlife Tour and Secrets of Istanbul Tour with Salih and two other tour options (one involving a full day and the other focused exclusively on food).

We have gone on more than a dozen tours / food walks all over the world and can recommend both of these tours with 100% confidence (yes, book them both!). Both were exceptional and completely unique. We saw the city from a completely different perspective than most typical tourists and covered so much ground we decided to cancel the other full day tour! Salih is very personable and his enthusiasm, knowledge and passion for the city really came through. It was like touring the city with a good friend. We couldn't recommend his services more highly. Worth every penny. Thanks Salih!