“silky sublime soup and sauces, inventive desserts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Can Oba Restaurant

Can Oba Restaurant
Ranked #257 of 13,374 Restaurants in Istanbul
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Istanbul, Turkey
“silky sublime soup and sauces, inventive desserts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

After living in Istanbul for 10+ years and constantly on the look out for inventive, but unpretentious desserts, I'm a fan of Can Oba. To be sure there is no shortage of fantastic food to be found in every corner of this vibrant, diverse city. However, the brownie and cheesecake fashion has dominated the dessert scene. Although the local sweets cuisine is divine when done well, sometimes I miss the non-traditional creative desserts based on cream, chocolate, and fruit. One caveat--being located next to a mosque, no alcohol is served.

• Turkish first
Istanbul
“hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

You cannot guess from the fassade of the shop that you could be up to experiencing one of the best eating experiences in this town. When you enter the guy you see in the apron is Cheff Can Oba himself. He looks like a skinny Bill Murray in Bill's young days. The menu outside the restaurant will give you the inmpresion as if it is one of the run of mill kebab places. But ask Cheff Oba what he has on the specials for the day. It will sound like music to your ears. I tried fish soup, potato soup and mushroom soup with truffle oil. All were different and all were good. But then I tried the liver.....ooohh it was not from this planet. Liver is hard to prepare well. but this one was superb. Then I couldnot stop myself from ordering fresh Lazania which just walked in front of us directly from the oven. The fresh tometo puree was so good I had to ask for a spoon not to waste it...the dessert list was very inviting but i was so full I rolled back to the harbor.....

Moscow, Russia
“Simply one of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I won't share much as other reivewers have already mentioned pretty much everything.
It just was of one the best dining experiences in my life, at reasonable prices and with a great caring service.
We went there twice and will sure come back when next time in Istanbul.
Good luck to the restaurant and the enthusiasts who make it the gem it is.

Oakland, CA
“We loved our dinner here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We came upon this restaurant by chance. We asked for a recommendation when picking up our Whirling Dervish tickets at the Hocapasa Cultural Center around the block and this is where we were directed. We sat outside even though it was a chilly evening, which allowed us to view all the street action while we ate. The food was fantastic. I had no idea Turkish food could be so good. I must confess that I thought about Turkish food as kebap. I will never think about it that way again. Chef Can Oba himself is very personable and answered all of my foodie-husbands questions. I wish we had had more time in Istanbul because we would have made a point of eating here again. We sadly had to run to our show before we could have desert, but Chef made us take a piece of dark chocolate with pistachio that he had made. Wonderful.

• Visited November 2013
Muscat, Oman
“Simple, Tasty with Great personalized service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Simple restaurant with outdoor seating.
The Chef (2 Michelin Star Chef that roamed the world) takes himself the orders and explains the types of food he makes.
On the House Bruschetta is served while taking orders.

Great variety of Food : we choose the Potato & chestnut soup, the Risotto with octopus and finally the "cherry on the cake" came from the Pomegranate Tiramisu.
The Kitchen is open so you can actually see the chef cooking.

Highly Recommended with very affordable prizes.

1 Thank Hich_AA