“BED BUGS IN TWO ROOMS” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #317 of 1,012 Istanbul B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“BED BUGS IN TWO ROOMS”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

What can I say? Stay in Old City Sulthanahmet completely ruined my experience of Istanbul.

I was severely bitten by bed bugs, I didn't even manage to sleep in the bed, just lied down on top of it for a while. When I demanded to be moved to another room they agreed with hesitation, no apologies were offered, nothing like that. They tried to move me to lower standard room despite my booking being for a sea view.
It wasn't much better in the next room. I counted over 70 bites all over my body, please check the photo of some bites attached.
It's an absolute nightmare to get all my clothes and luggage bug free now, since many of it it's an expensive Merino wool stuff heating or hot wash is impossible. I ruined one garment already worth over 200$.

And all Old City Sultanahmet stuff's reaction was "It's not our fault, somebody must have let the window open and let the bed bugs in!" No discount, no apologies, nothing.
I'm sure that not all the rooms have bed bugs and the location was very good but it's definitely not worth the risk! Absolutely horrible experience!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Art B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I was stayed here for 5 nights with my wife and 1 daughter.
nice little hotel, quite close to historic sites.
Breakfast ok, great view from the dining area.

Overall its a good hotel for the price. for family ask for 3 bed better.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jodhy H
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed here with a friend in April for just one night, is a nice little hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful and breakfast was good with a fair variety and an amazing view over the bay and the more residential part of the city. Very easy walking distance to the tourist attractions in Sultanahmet and a few nice restaurants around.
Only problem we had was the taxi driver "not being able to find" the hotel and driving around a bit. Kind of think this might have been a bit of a run around to make us pay more though. We ended up getting out and walking the last little bit, maybe bring a map or something to avoid this.
For the price definitely can't complain about the place, the bathroom was a little run down and needed a good scrub but was clean enough to use and after spending a little more time in Turkey, seemed pretty normal :) Would stay here again if I was passing through Turkey again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in old city park hotel for 3 night with my friend and everything was perfect first of all the staff welcomed friendly especially BARAN and the breakfast was fresh and variety the room was large and comfortable they offered coffee break with Turkish cookies at lobby the hotel is so close to historic sites ( hagia Sofia blue mosgue) it was an unforgettable experience for us we thank them all....

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank nıkalay b
Celje, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I booked hotel 2 weeks before traveling to Istanbul, the price was more then reasonable (cheap), rooms are really small, but clean, breakfast was ok, the view from the terace is amazing!!! The staff was very friendly, helpfull with informations on what to see in the city. We bought the tram/metro card, but we only used it for transfer from and to Attaturk airport and to Taksim, since The Grand Bazar and The Blue mosque and all the others attraction are in a walking distance (3-5 min). The metro station is 2 -3 min away from the hotel! Next to hotel you have a small shop and a nice restaurant "Why not", with the best waiter Heybet. So I have only good memories from Old city Sultanahmet hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

The hotel overbooked our first night and we were relocated to another hotel two doors up.  This was a very small room with twin beds not what we had requested.  The next night we spent back at the Old City in a double room, the rooms are very small, hardly room for our two bags.The hotel upgraded us to a room at the rear of the hotel for the next 5 nights with a fire escape balcony that could be used.  We had to rearrange the furniture to fit our two bags in, all rooms are small. The hotel is clean. The breakfast area upstairs has a great view and the breakfast is good. Wifi is faster upstairs in the breakfast area or downstairs near reception than in the room.
Staff are very pleasant and accommodating.  There is a free shuttle to the airport if you stay 7 nights.  The hotel is ideally suited for visiting the Sultanhmet sights ie Blue Mosque etc.  Food and convenience ideally located close by.  We did not use the metro and was able to walk to all places even Taksim Square.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jds88
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Having travelled the world, visited hundreds of hotels I have to say the experience of staying here was truly wonderful. I stayed here with my wife and 2 year old daughter and in terms of location its awesome!!:

- 3 mins from the tram which will take you to all the key places - Top Kapi Palace, Grand Bazar, Bhosporous Cruise pickup point, Ayia Sofia, Gulhane park etc.
- 30 seconds to a convenience shop (2 doors away and the guy is lovely) where you can pick up essentials and serves lovely sandwiches
- 3 mins from turkish bath down the road
- 10 mins walk (or less) from Blue mosque.....one is in the heart of Istanbul.

Rooms are pleasant, the rooftop is delightful and has amazing views and most IMPORTANTLY the customer service is FANTASTIC!! Mustafa and Baren are fantastic people to know. They take an interest in what your doing, make sure you are looked after, sort out the best taxis in the world (trust me I know - in terms of value for money and taking the best route to your destination).

They make you feel part of the family and my daughter and wife absolutely loved them.

One of many examples is when I got contacted from a friend on our last night in Istanbul. At 11.30pm just as we were going to sleep I got a text to say he arrived and was going to eat in Saraya restaurant in Fatih. So we quickly got dressed and I asked Mustafa to grab us a taxi so we could get there asap. I knew where it was and just needed him to call a taxi that's it. he did that but asked me where we were going. On hearing the name of the restaurant he took the trouble of googling it and realised there were 4 restaurants with the same name in Fatih!!!!

Had he not done that I would have not gone to the same place as my freind and would have been annoyed on my last night!!! Thankfully he spoke to my friend to get the exact location!!!

Thanks!!! and see you again soon

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family