“Coctails&diner ”

Cuisines: French, Vietnamese
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beyoglu
Description: Cochine is an exciting new Vietnamese restaurant & bar concept for Istanbul.It is housed in a loft style space for eating,drinking,meeting and exhibiting. Cochine has a cozy feel enriched by constantly evolving independent exhibitions that adorn the walls.
“Coctails&diner ”
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We had a great dinner at cochine, starting with the nice coctails. Earl Grey Martini was the best. We almost ate the whole menu and everything was really good. Spring rolls should be tried. Service was nice, waiters were really good

• Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Delicious Cocktails”
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

It has an inter sarin atmosphere although we only sat at the bar. The cocktails, especially the Earl Grey Tea Martini, are delicious, although pricey.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Michael W
Rome, Italy
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

After walking about Istanbul I came across Cochine and had a delightful time and delicious dinner with a few friends. There was a pleasant set of live jazz music which added to the experience. I ordered Ga Roti (Vietnamese roasted chicken) and was extremely satisfied. All in all I had a wonderful time and would definately visit Cochine again when I'm next in Istanbul.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank lucrezias475
San Francisco
“Don't expect too much”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was definitey interested in trying Cochine after I read their menu online. Having had outstanding Vietnamese food in San Francisco, I got accustomed to craving it once in awhile. The menu sounds so very promising and I applaud the folks behind Cochine for trying. As a restaurant owner myself I understand how a vision and execution against that vision can be challenging to minimize the discrepancy.

I tried quite a few dishes on the menu ordered by others at our table. All four of us were excited to try the "shaking beef" as we've had delicious, tender versions before, again, in SF. It was basically dry kebab so we were all underwhelmed. The salad that was served with it actually was very good...but the beef was supposed to star in that role.

We tried chicken satay which wasn't bad but definitely wasn't great. Why? They were chicken breast sliced in 'chicken finger' size. With satays, the magic is in cutting the chicken (I usually prefer chicken breast overall, but with a satay it really should be chicken thighs) into cubes so that there is higher sauce-to-chicken ratio.

Other items we tried were the shrimp, salmon spring rolls, some noodles, sweet potato fries. All very average. With sweet potato fries, the key is to cut them on the thinner side to ensure crispiness. Otherwise, if you cut them thick like at Cochine, the potato innard 'steams' and disappoints. Also, if a menu item came with a sauce there was not enough sauce to service the item. We all tried the Earl Grey Martini, which was outstanding. At a restaurant, your signature cocktail really shouldn't be the most memorable consumption item I believe.

We ordered a bottle of wine from Montepulciano in Tuscany. Since the four of us were in Montepulciano for Harvest Season this past September I thought it would be a great idea to order a bottle. It simply wasn't very good - it tasted very young without any complexity - just another disappointment.

On the bright side I thought the service was ample by my standards but definitely above average by Istanbul's standards. That's nice. My wife says that she got her Vietnamese food fix even though it was pretty average; I on the other had can do without it. I'll just make the food better myself when I have a craving. But I'll go back for that yummy martini!!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank TravelingfromSF_8
chris j, Owner at Cochine, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Sir,

İ would like to apologize for anything that did not meet your standard on the night you dined with us.
The shaking beef you mentioned is one of our best sellers and has always been received very highly as has the chicken sate, it would have been great had you mentioned this on the night and we could have remedyed this within minutes, no need for you to sit through a meal you were not happy with,

We always appreciate feedback and strive to constantly improve and progress.

Thankyou for your kinds words regarding the service and our earl grey martini.

We hope to see you soon.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Adventurous in Istanbul...”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

A few of my friends in Istanbul recommended Cochine for I was craving some vietnamese food. My palet is adapted to asian food and I was pleasantly surprised with the selection of food. Its not the mainstream vietnamese food, however its much more authentic and local vietnamese and reflects on specific localities within Vietnam. I very much enjoyed the viet carpaccio and the summer rolls. And the exotic selection of cocktails which I only found in this restaurant such as the earl grey martini were very cool. so worth the money and awesome ambiance. perfect place to go to before a night out in istanbul. We will definitely be returning to cochine when in istanbul again.

• Visited March 2013