“Nice hotel and nice view”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Opera Hotel

Opera Hotel
Ranked #115 of 1,029 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Nice hotel and nice view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed in this hotel one night only. I checked in about 9 am, and gladly, the receptionist allowed us to directly use the room. This was really good service from this hotel, as my experience in some other hotels, we were not allowed to checked in before noon. Good point!

The room was convenient, the bathroom was clean and not having problem about odor or bad smell. All were clean and tidy. Even the bathroom does not have tub, but I was satisfied with only the shower. Perfect spots!

The breakfast buffet was quiet enjoyable, even there were no much choice for the menu. But one best thing is the nice scenery. The view is the best thing that this hotel had. We could see the Bosphorus Strait from the balcony of the restaurant: the ships, the seagulls, the sky, the golden water, the wind breeze, everything.... Fantastic!

Everyone would be happy to stay in this hotel. Very good!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank firmanr77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was one of the best hotels we used during our month of touring Turkey by car. The price was very reasonable and the breakfast well prepared. The room was very comfortable although like many in Turkey, there was a shower, but no bath. My wife prefers a bath; shower is my favourite, so I was happy. As we were with a car, we needed parking and that was done very easily, even to having it cleaned during our three night stay. The restaurant on the top floor had an excellent view, but the food was disappointing. Not bad, but just not up to the standard of the hotel and its appointments. Internet worked very well without problems. The location was within a few blocks of Taksim Square and on bus routes: Istanbul traffic is not much fun for driving.
Whatever you do, do not try the Russian Restaurant across the road: very poor fare and expensive. I think it is a two person operation and was empty, except for another couple who, like us, had only one course before leaving.
The fish restaurant on the same side as the Opera is good.
The staff speak English well - one with a mild cockney accent after having lived in London, working in a hotel. All were very willing to supply helpful tips to make our journey more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor room. They are, I believe, more expensive.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Grant M
long beach, ca, usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at the Opera Hotel for a total of five nights in two different rooms (changing rooms only because we returned to Opera Hotel after visiting Cappadocia). Our entire stay was remarkable. The accommodations and services provided by the hotel were excellent all-around. The location, a five-minute walk to Taksim Square, was ideal.

Both rooms were clean, comfortable, and came with an incredible balcony-view of the Bosphorus. There was no street noise to interrupt a peaceful rest. The television was operable and the rainfall shower refreshing. iPhone docks and chargers were available. The appearance was contemporary and sleek. The room's only shortcoming was that there did exist a mild to moderate sewage odor from the bathroom (as mentioned in other reviews). It wasn't devastating but certainly noticeable.
The hotel staff was polite and helpful with our questions, and requests were promptly fulfilled at all hours of the night (currency exchange, extra towels, cot, luggage, etc.). They spoke and understood English well. The hotel breakfast was delicious, varied slightly each day, and had a regular spread of fresh cold-cuts, cheeses, fruits and vegetables.

Overall, our stay at the Opera Hotel was great and we would recommend it to others looking to stay in the Taksim Square area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anthony r
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I spent with my family 2 nights from 4th to 6th of January. I did the booking through internet.
The location, close to the Taksim square and half way in between the Bosporous Bridge and Topkapi, was great.
The hotel was absolutely clean and the reception staff friendly and helpful. We got for our 2 rooms an upgrade to rooms with Bosporous view. And the view is indeed amazing.
The breakfast was ok but the staff there seemed to be not well organized.
On walking distance were only two restaurants. An expensive but also good restaurant with Turkish fish and kebap specialities and a non recommendable Russian restaurant.
75 Euros for a airport pick-up was expensive and the car driver was 15 minutes later then ordered on the way back from the hotel to the airport.
Overall the Opera Hotel was a good and valuable experience and is certainly not a bad choice.
Thanks
T. Bernards, Suzhou, China

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Toni B
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Great Hotel at fantastic location. The rooms were nice,nothing spectacular. I highly recommend getting a room with Bosphorus view. The hotel itself is in a very nice location,few minutes to Taksim Square. Plenty of places to eat nearby. The buffet breakfast is a bit limited but I was able to get myself full.If you want to get the tram is about 10 minutes walk down very steep streets. The staff at the hotel is fine for Turkish standards. We had dinner in the restaurant and it was about 100 Euros with bottle of wine. The view from the restaurant is amazing so well worth the price.
Overall good hotel and good location for a weekend trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barabbas_10
ITALY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for two nights with my friends (Total 4 rooms).
We start with the state that the standard rooms are located below ground.
But the most 'serious, is the behavior of a hotel in the management practice of crediting.
even if I and my friends had a reservation with booking and all of us to be checked in regularly, the hotel has still done independently to charge me the first night of all the rooms on my credit card.
At the end of the holiday, they assured me that within 1 weeks maximum, I would get my money back.
This' not proved true, today, in more than 4 weeks from my living room, still do not know when and if you will come back my money, I think I will call' to a legal recovery.
I do not recommend EVERYONE TO STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank FRANCESCO C
Sofia, Grad Sofiya, Bulgaria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was fooled by the nice photos on the website of the hotel and the high rating in booking.com However just minutes after check-in i found that all the online presence of OPERA hotel is fare exaggerated and have nothing to do with the real picture! (I have made some real photos with my cam so you will be able to compare and make your own decision).
The hotel is nothing special, small and is connected to other residential buildings. The base is starting to age and there were many broken things. My room was not well cleaned when i checked in.
I tried to change the hotel but i had made a nonrefundable booking and they had to charge me for the entire stay - which was not an option for me.
I was expecting some guests coming from an other country so i decided to upgrade them in a superior suite. Since day one my friends started complaining as well - the house keeping kept forgetting to bring them towels for the shower 3 days in a roll! Beside this there was an awful smell from the toilet in the entire room!!! How cool is that for e 290 EUR per night? The staff were polite but not really flexible in terms of problem solving. The swimming pool area was not very clean. The SPA area is small but ok. Breakfast was really pour which i was not expecting from Istanbul. The best thing is the view from the panorama restaurant but in the end i would not recommend this hotel to any one!

Room Tip: In the end if you don't have any other choice i think the best deal is to get a sea view room on...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business