“What a Treat! Great Property with Awesome Staff!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Avcilar
Ranked #215 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
New Richmond, Wisconsin
“What a Treat! Great Property with Awesome Staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was visiting Istanbul for one night on a massive mileage run and being a Hilton Diamond, I wanted to use some points up. I chose this property because of their advertised airport shuttle. When I arrived at IST, I quickly learned that no such shuttle exists. Having never been there and having traveled for 24 hours, I booked a car to the hotel.

Upon arrival, I was greeted properly and explained my concern about having to pay so much for a car. They said they would confer with the manager and let me know if anything could be done. More on that later...

I found the property stunning in the lobby and the room was no exception. I loved the high room overlooking the water side with the giant windows. The diamond welcome amenities were top of the line with fresh fruit, sparkling and regular water. The hallways had dimmed lights that came up when you were present. It was also the first time I had seen switches for 'DND and Make up Room' inside the room that activate lights on the outside of the room.

The staff, everyone from Sevgi at the front desk, the guys at the bell/security stand and Riza in the stellar breakfast area were more than helpful. They helped guide me through the public transportation to a non-touristy shopping market since the Bazzaar was so far away and closed on Sunday, my only day there. The busses, while cramped with people were safe and fairly easy to navigate.

Riza was great in the breakfast area which had many hot food items both American and Turkish. They had a full racked honeycomb available to get fresh honey for the pastries. There were also many cheeses and olives showing off the great Mediterranean influence in their foods.

Back to the expense for transportation. In the end, the property owned the error on the Hilton website and reimbursed me for the transportation. Their intent is to remove it from the website for now and eventually re-establish the shuttle.

After dinner Saturday night at a nearby restaurant just down the road with a green lighted sign (great food), I went down to the pool, tub, fitness and Turkish Bath. All were very nice and modern. The sauna and turkish bath were the proper end to a 32 hour day on a full stomach before bed.

The only downside to this property is the proximity to the old town area. It would have been quite a journey to get to the bazzaar, the Bosphorus and the Blue Mosque. I think upon returning to IST, I would plan a few days at this property in Avcilar given the awesome experience they showed to me and then a few days over in the other side of town.

I look forward to my next vist to this wonderful property, one that other Hiltons and Doubletrees around the world should visit as a model of how to run a hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room on the water side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank orr333
engins87, Sales Office Coordinator at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Avcilar, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. We appreciate your comments. We sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon, assuring our best service and attention.

Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Well I was waiting for this hotel to open up as it is near to the business area of beylicduzu in Istanbul. It was not a great stay. There are some structural issues with the hotel building I suppose as the structure makes lot of unpleasant noises, specially during the night. Beds are way too spongy, too spongy to be comfortable. Breakfast spread needs huge improvement. Staff quality is decent though. I really wish that it improves. Will give it one more stay try next time when back to Istanbul.

• Stayed January 2013
AhmetDogangun, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Avcilar, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly, we'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Avcılar for your recent visit.

We were sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your recent stay at our hotel and would like to apologize for this experience.

We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and appreciate your valuable opinions. Your comments will of course be forwarded to the relevant management for their attention.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Avcılar.

Best Regards,
Ahmet Doğangün
Ningbo, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Newly open (14th december), this hotel is perfect for a short stay if you need to stay near the Ataturk airport.
Location is so-so if you need to travel to city center, even do concierge can provide you a taxi in less than 5 minutes.
Around the hotel who is located on a highway, within walking distance you have Pelican Mall (carrefour, mc donalds and some other shops) in within 10 minutes by taxi you can find wonderful fish and seafood restaurants (ask concierge)
I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite (half priced on weekends), even do i arrived extremly early (5am) people at reception was very kind and assigned me my suite immediately.
Breakfast is very good and varied choice (omelettes very good), the manager of the restaurant is very kind and ensure that you have all what you need.
Overall the staff ( from concierge to housekeepers) are top notch.
Rooms are new, so confort is never a problem.

Room Tip: To have a nice sea view ask for high floor room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HappyfamilyNingbo

Yours sincerely
Also consider these accommodations in or near Istanbul
Ramada Kaya Plaza Istanbul Hotel
Hilton ParkSA Istanbul
#205 of 1,129 in Istanbul
Beyoglu
Hilton Garden Inn Istanbul Golden Horn Turkey

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Avcilar? Share your experiences!