“Wear good walking shoes - and learn lots!”

Istanbul Photo Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #106 of 428 Tours in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: Istanbul Photo Tours are organized by Istanbul Photo Workshops and a perfect opportunity to help you improve your photography in a short time while discovering little known, non-touristic spots of Istanbul. You may end up in a gypsy market, enter a metal workshop located inside a Middle Age caravanserai, drink tea with locals, may join a local wedding, circumcision ceremony, photographing kids enjoying the small local entertainment park of a remote neighbourhood or discover the most ethnically diverse and colourful areas of Istanbul. If you would like to take your photography and communication skills to the next step this is a great opportunity to learn about the city, country and its people side by side with National Geographic photographer guides who spent most of his life in Istanbul.
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I had booked an afternoon and evening with Kemal, and expected that he would take me to interesting paces where I would be left to m own devices to take my photos. e certainly went interesting places, but Kemal also gave me instructive and helpful advice on my technique and the use of my camera. It was a fascinating day - we walked and walked, and used public ferries to criss cross the Golden Horn and Bosphorous to villages. I walked through dark busy alleys to see silver smith workshops in the old town, walked up 3 flights of uneven stone steps to emerge on the roof top of an old building with the most beautiful view over Istanbul, stood in the second courtyard of a mosque during the call to prayer and felt it through every fibre of my body...Kemal was very patient and generous - I had to call it a day early as I was so tired and had to be up at 5 am the next day, but Kemal was ready to keep going! If you love photography, do this. Its not cheap, but very very worth it.

2  Thank Micphilli

Reviewed September 12, 2013

What a great day with Kemal. He took us places we never, ever would have found on our own. He was patiet and spent much time giving instruction o how to use the camera. I would highly recommend booking time with him if you are a photo buff.

1  Thank Heather S
Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you are interested in photography and are traveling to Istanbul - don't think twice and absolutely take a photo tour with Kemal. I recommend taking the tour one of the first days you get there for a few a reasons: Kemal will take you all around the city (teach you how to use the metro) - we went everywhere from Taksim square, sunday markets, gypsy markets, walls of constantinople, ramadan festivities along the golden horn, a couple of amazing roof tops and everywhere else in between, he will discuss anything you ask him - history, politics, photography, along the way he gives you tips and tricks about capturing the moments around you - most of the reviews below have summed up that nicely - I would agree with all of them. Taking the tour at the beginning of your trip gets you more comfortable with moving throughout the city and you will have amazing photographs the rest of your trip!! I highly recommend this tour for anyone slightly interested in photography - much of the day was go at your own pace - and the tour experience offers so much more than just photography tips.

2  Thank marylope88
Reviewed July 4, 2013

It had always been a dream of mine to visit Istanbul so I decided to piggy back it to a business trip I had to make in Europe. A friend of mine, knowing that I would be traveling alone, suggested that I take a Turkish cooking class. Cooking wasn't really my thing but PHOTOGRAPHY was!! Maybe I could make TWO dreams come true! Visit Istanbul AND learn how to take better photos!!

Lucky for me I found Kemal's photography class! After reading everyone's reviews I knew that it would be worth the money! I was traveling right when Taksim Square was making headline news around the world. Friends and family strongly recommended that I cancel my trip saying that it was unsafe. Kemal assured me that it WAS safe and recommended areas in Istanbul to stay.

I booked my class with Kemal for my first day there. He met me at my hotel. The first thing we did was to look at my camera. I have a Canon EOS. I've been taking photos for over 25 years and yet I tend to just leave the camera on AUTO! Trying to master Time values and Aperture values is not easy and rather confusing but Kemal was patient and used easy to understand examples, drawing little sketches so that I could visualize what he was saying.

Then began my National Geographic Adventure! Istanbul BLEW me AWAY! What an amazing city!! But Kemal made it even more AMAZING!! He doesn't just teach you about photography but about EVERYTHING Turkish! The history, the people, the culture!! He is like a walking history, geography, art teacher all in one!! He's really focused on YOU!! And your needs!! He doesn't want to waste your time! And as you walk through the streets, you may be in such a state of absolute AWE with what you see around you that you forget that you are in his class to take PHOTOS! He gently reminds you to capture what you see! Reviewing the photo together Kemal encourages me to try a different aperture setting or at a different angle. WOW!! A photo can look that different just by changing the Aperture or by NOT looking through the view finder?!! He also really made me think about my framing, composition and how to get a better shot! Again I am blown away! Why didn't I see this before?!

We went all over the place! Grand Bazaar, Spice Market, super cool roof top at sunset, taxi boat, little side streets! Along the way we met so many really interesting people. He definitely has a way with people! Making them feel relaxed. That's another thing that I learned from him! How to put people at ease to photograph them. Visiting a city is not just about the sights but the PEOPLE!! Walking the streets with Kemal I started to focus my photography on the people! How to include them in this magical place! "Wait until you can see his face!" Kamel says, as I try to take a photo of an old man in the Spice Market. "Getting a good shot sometimes means that you have to be patient!"

Every tourist seems to want to bring home a Turkish rug! OK I will admit that I bought a SMALL one too which by the way TOTALLY doesn't match my house!! :) If you are traveling on a limited budget you may be asking yourself, do I buy the rug or do I take a photography class?! My advice to you is "TAKE THE PHOTOGRAPHY CLASS!!!" Matter of fact, I loved my first class so much that I took another one! Due to the riots in the news, Kemal had several cancellations. Lucky for me that I was able to book another class at the last minute!!

Kemal's classes are something that will stay with me for the rest of my life! There are so many other places in the world that I would love to visit. If only there was a Kemal there!

8  Thank Julesthomastoda
Reviewed June 7, 2013

What I loved was that Kemal took you to places you wouldn't otherwise get. He encouraged me to be creative and try new things and I am reassured I took good photos by the response if my friends. It's a must do in Istanbul! A day I shan't forget.

1  Thank Justine1969