“Insider access to Istanbul”

Istanbul Photo Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #96 of 437 Tours in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: Istanbul Photo Tours are organized by Istanbul Photo Workshops and a perfect opportunity to help you improve your photography in a short time while discovering little known, non-touristic spots of Istanbul. You may end up in a gypsy market, enter a metal workshop located inside a Middle Age caravanserai, drink tea with locals, may join a local wedding, circumcision ceremony, photographing kids enjoying the small local entertainment park of a remote neighbourhood or discover the most ethnically diverse and colourful areas of Istanbul. If you would like to take your photography and communication skills to the next step this is a great opportunity to learn about the city, country and its people side by side with National Geographic photographer guides who spent most of his life in Istanbul.
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We started on the street, witnessed craftsmen at work, and ended at a nargile bar. Several hours around the Grand Bazaar without feeling like a tourist. Kemal offers a great inside look at the city. I learned something about Istanbul and its people, about making pictures, and about my camera. Highly recommended for any level of photographer. I'll do this again when I return to Istanbul. I've posted some pictures on my website: pfredlake.smugmug.com.

1  Thank Peter F

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I did a photo tour with Kemal earlier in September. It was great. Kemal knows Istanbul intimately and took us to some fantastic places. He tailored the day to our interests. Needless to say he also helped us to learn how to use our cameras better. A great experience overall.

2  Thank Mike21951
Reviewed September 20, 2012

thanks to a last-minute invite from a friend, i was able to go on a photowalk with Kamal, and it was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon and evening. there's not much more to say than what others have already said, but kamal knows where it's at. all the hidden parts of an amazing city that you as a visitor (even a frequent one, i'd imagine) would never know or go to or know about.

because each tour is tailored to the individual group, he may or may not take you where he took us, but suffice it to say, it was very eye-opening and definitely made for great pictures. i'm not a particularly great photographer at all, but i love taking pictures and the subject matter that kamal made available to the group...amazing. a. ma. zing.

if you are at all interested in photography and, perhaps even more important (to me), discovering the "real" istanbul, this is for you.

2  Thank jonkjonk
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were connected to Kemal through my sister who is a professional photographer, and even though we aren't professional photographers by any stretch, Kemal graciously took us around Istanbul for a day and a half. We have a fairly amateur camera (Canon G12) and know the basics, but Kemal turned our day into a photographic workshop, teaching me how to realize my camera's full potential He also has a fantastic eye, and knows where to bring you for some really compelling and beautiful shots.

Additionally, Kemal quickly caught on to the fact that we're really more foodies than photographers, and he brought us to some amazing spots; a romantic hole in the wall that served the best hot chocolate I've ever had, a patisserie with the best baklava I've had, a cafe with a panoramic view of the city, an amazing fish market, a pickler and of course, a kebab joint.

Spending the day with Kemal was one of the highlights of our trip. If you want an insider view of Istanbul that's personalized, low profile and fantastic, you should absolutely seek out Kemal.

1  Thank Charlie H
Reviewed August 21, 2012

There seems total consensus in the reviews here- and my experience was similarly rewarding. Istanbul is such a remarkable city, it is a privilege to have a local with a keen eye and deep local knowledge to show you around. The most difficult decision is to work out in which of the many wonderful alternative locations you will spend your time. As in a great restaurant, once you have seen the menu you need to go back! We spent much of our time at Istanbul's oldest mosque where boys were attending in full costume, with their families, to be circumcised. We then walked through a poorer part of town with kids playing in the streets, up a hill to a graveyard with spectacular panoramic views overlooking the city and water.
Kemal is a patient gentle teacher of photography,and a great guy. I learnt a lot about use of my camera, and this experience encouraged me to since find out a lot more.
I'll be back.