“Excellent.”

Hayriye Hanim Konagi Hotel
Ranked #111 of 1,171 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Staying in the HHK hotel equals Istanbul as it is, and should be. Amazing venue, located in a very authentic -not too touristy- neighbourhood. Not only is the location quiet and pretty, the HHK hotel is also located close to many must-sees. The interior and the view is amazing. Last but not least, excellent service and very nice, friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank nina C

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Elegant. Comfortable. Kind. Exceptional. Generous: these key words describe the HHK hotel and its staff.

Having spent one month from June-July 2012 at the HHK, I can honestly say that it is an oasis in Istanbul. The rooms are lovely and comfortable; the bathrooms are new and tasteful. The hotel is very clean and tastefully decorated. The HHK is a historical building with an unequaled view of the Golden Horn, Bosphorous, the Asian bridge that lights up at night, and the Galata tower. After long days in the fray of Istanbul, sitting on the HHK’s terrace in the evening breeze is truly a respite from the crowded streets and summer heat.

Hospitality at the HHK transcends the word exceptional. The owners and staff were very attentive to me and my individual needs, and they were extremely kind, always greeting me with smiles. When they found out that I was allergic to gluten and dairy, they provided me with soy milk and gluten free products for the duration of my stay. They always went above and beyond to ensure that my stay in Istanbul was perfect.

The terrace pool is unique in Istanbul—especially on the Sultanahmet side— coupled with the Turkish sauna and hamam, it is a wonderful way to relax after a long day. I enjoyed the in-room massage services every week with Fatma, the talented massage therapist.

The location is very convenient for reaching both Sultanahmet and Taksim by taxi. At first, as a single, female traveler, I was concerned with just how local the neighborhood was, but on further reflection, I realized that it is a rare treat to see how others live in Istanbul, outside of the highly touristic neighborhoods such as Sultanahmet. I met the neighborhood children and I enjoyed the history of the neighborhood. The hotel staff accommodates taxi requests and watches out for guests.

Lutfiye, the front desk manager always greeted me with a smile and she was always ready to help. Cihangir, Irfan, and Nu made me feel at home, as if I belonged there. The owners are on site and they are dynamic brothers who treat their guests with extraordinary Turkish hospitality and kindness. I learned a great deal about Turkish culture from my fascinating conversations with them.

I can honestly say to the HHK, “Sizin sayenizde hersey mu kemmel!” or, “Thanks to you everything is perfect!” I’ll have fond memories of my experience in Istanbul at the HHK for a long time.

Room Tip: Try to reserve a room with a view of the Bosphorous.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank michester
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We passed by the hotel by chance in the evening and asked for a quick glance inside. There was Ulaş at the reception and he very kindly showed us the place. We saw the wonderful pool and the breakfast aerea next to it, lovely place with an absolutely stunning view on the Bosphorus!! We had a drink on the roof terrace until we had to leave so not to disturb the hotel guests who wanted to sleep.It was around 11pm. We noticed the hotel as absuólutely quiet and the staff extra friendly.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the HHK in July with 5 other couples. We were worried as we approached the hotel in our mini bus as the area seemed a little run down to say the least, but one of our party was a regular to Istanbul and had assured us that this was a good hotel, and he was right. You step off the cobbled street through a door into a lttle oasis. The views from the terrace over the Bosphorous are stunning.

We stayed in room 403 which was very comfortable with plush soft furnishings, a good bathroom, excellent air conditioning and most importantly, that spectacular view. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was OK with quite a large choice of meats, cheese and bread. Maybe could have done with more fresh fruit.

The hotel is fairly near the centre but is a little bit off the beaten track and in the four days we spent in Istanbul we didn't meet one taxi driver who knew how to take us there. The area is undergoing some renovation with a bridge being built across the water which (as far as we could tell) will go right underneath the hotel. The HHK is a charming hotel in a fascinating city and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Can recommend room 403 but ask for one facing the water
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I booked this hotel for 6 nights on the strength of reviews here and the fact that there was a swimming pool which was ideal for summer in Istanbul.

The hotel arranged for a taxi to collect me from the airport which was appreciated however I did become concerned as we approached the hotel through a very run down and dilapidated neighbourhood. I wondered if I had made the wrong choice.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful on arrival and my bag was brought up to the top floor room (303). The room itself was compact but very clean. The bed was super comfy. The morning breakfast saw a nice array of cold meats, cheeses, cereals, yoghurt etc to choose from. The views from the terrace area are truely stunning. I could sit all day watching the boats plying their way up and down the Golden Horn.

The hotel sits below the Suliemaniye Mosque which is stunning, in turn this leads onto the Grand Bazaar and then onto Sultanahmet sights. Walk the other way brings you into the heart of the rundown neighbourhood. Having walked extensively around the area I never felt threatened or unsafe. You see grandparents and parents sitting talking or working away, children playing, flea markets or chickens crossing the road. However the more genteel reader may wish to consider elsewhere.

The hotel is in great condition and the staff welcoming and helpful. On balance I feel I amdea good choose and certainly enjoyed my stay though I was always left with the impression that I was staying three or four stops up the line from the action.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank weegietraveller
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Everything was simply perfect! Very, very helpfull staff, romantic rooms, so clean, wonderfull terrace on the Golden Horn, free shuttle service from the airport, wellcome drink, free wifi, good breakfast, very close to every point of interest. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Sultansalmon
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We spent several nights in HHK hotel in July 2012. Location of the hotel is just steps away from Suleymaniye Mosque and you can walk from there to Grand Bazaar and further to Blue Mosque and Haya Sofia. They picked us up from the airport (with 4 night stay the one way transfer is included) and because the hotel is kind of hidden in the area recently undergoing the renovation, you don't expect such a beautiful property sitting in the middle of it. We stayed in two different room, one was little bit small but second one was perfect, they have a very classy decor and view from the room or from the deck above is just spectacular. The staff members were very nice and helpful, the breakfast could use some improvement, but our overall experience with this property was very good. I would definitely stay there again. Paul and Helena Kriz

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple