“Oasis”

212 Istanbul Suites
Ranked #22 of 1,246 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed total of 7 nights at 212. Great location, with many small eateries nearby frequented by locals. Great food, great shopping. Taksim metro is short distance away. Mahmet is on call most of the time, and our trusty driver Bulent was always on time transferring us to and fro Ataturk airport. Highly recommended, especially for long stays.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pclee
berkayakarsu, Owner at 212 Istanbul Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Valuable Guest ,

We would like to thank you for staying with us.

Your positive comments are big motivation to us and we look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Just for the record...I do not write reviews. Never have. Probably never will do again. But just sometimes you feel compelled to let others know of something that is simply perfect.
My family and I stayed in Istanbul in Sept 2012. As a father, with two children (age 4 & 9) staying in a new city for the 1st time, certain things have to be considered and this place is perfect.

Upon arrival at the apartments, we were met by Mehmet. Mehmet, is a perfect host. Always available, always ready with answers any questions and is uber helpful. The location of the apartments is perfect. A very lively part of town, but located in a side street, so as not to be too noisy. Quiet little Turkish bars & restaurants within 30 meters of your doorstep. A supermarket within 50 meters for all your daily needs. A chemist located within 80 meters in case of emergencies. The main shopping street (which is reminiscent of a pedestrianised Oxford Street) 100 meters away, yet you cannot hear it from your apartment. If staying here, book transfers from the airport. If you are a little more adventurous, make your way by public transport to Taksim Sq. Walk down 'Oxford Street' for about 100 meters and turn left by McDonalds (yes they're everywhere). Walk up the side street for about 60 meters and take 2nd left. The apartments are directly above 'The Bunk' cafe (which will be your 1st port of call in the morning for a coffee). Enjoy. We certainly did and we will definetly be back.

Room Tip: All rooms are good and individually styled. The higher you go...the more stairs you have to climb (3...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank JPW1971

Our Dearest Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review about 212 Istanbul Suites on tripadvisor.I appreciate your kind comments.

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Got to know about the 212 Istanbul Suites through a friend and just spent 5 nights there. I couldn't believe how right this has been for us. Fantastically buzzing location (the place to be really), superb apartments, very well equipped (iPod/iPhone charging docking station, satellite TV, fridge, cooking appliances etc etc.) and a very welcoming crew (Mehmet has been a star throughout!). No doubt a great choice!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tanguy p
berkayakarsu, Owner at 212 Istanbul Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear Valuable Guest ,

We very much appreciated your positive review of our services ,rooms and staff. It was a pleasure reading your comments regarding Mehmet . Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I spent 6 days at 212 Istanbul Suites, having booked directly through their website. (Hotels.com offered the same price, but gave no credits towards free nights; so why bother with them in that case?) It should have been 7 days, but my original flight to Turkey was cancelled and I lost the first day. I was a bit worried that I would lose my reservation, because Berkay had not asked for any deposit. But through some fast e-mails, not only was my reservation held, my free airport shuttle was moved to accommodate my new arrival time. What great service, and what a big relief! Thank you, Berkay! Mehmet was there at 212 to greet me and show me my room. He also checked on me a few times during the week. He is a very polite, hospitable young man.

I would definitely recommend asking for a shuttle to the hotel if you are new to Istanbul or if you have a lot of luggage. My driver was right there at the door when I emerged from baggage claim, and the ride was perfect. However, here is how you get to the building from Ataturk Airport: take one of the Havas airport shuttles that goes directly to Taksim Square. Only 10 TL (cash), air-conditioned, comfortable, effortless.

When you get off the bus at Taksim Square, walk in the direction towards the rear of the bus, slightly downhill, and bear left, around the corner. You will be in a busy bus terminal. Look further downhill towards the Ataturk statue/monument that marks Taksim Square. You will see a very busy pedestrian-only street; this is Caddesi Istiklal, where everyone is going (there is also a small tramway track with the "nostalgic tramway" running). You will also see a Greek Orthodox Church (a domed building with a cross at the top - not common in Turkey). The hotel is essentially behind that Orthodox Church. Walk down Istiklal and keep to the left. Very soon on your left you will see a street sign (stuck to a building) for Sokagi Mesekil; there is a bank and currency exchange on this corner - if you pass a McDonald's you have gone too far. Turn left on Mesekil, and walk uphill, bearing right. Turn right on the second street, Sokagi Abdullah, and soon on your left you will see Bunk Cafe and then the door to 212 Istanbul Suites. (Note there is no signage.) This route is best because the roads are well-paved here so you can roll your luggage easily, and these streets are clearly marked. The other path might be a wee bit shorter, but it's much easier to get lost.

The building is nondescript on the outside. The front door lock is sturdy. Berkay or Mehmet will give you a code for the front door and also a key, plus your room passcard. The deadbolt to my suite was rock-solid. I felt very safe in the building.

My suite (European, 1st floor) was huge: a large front room with nice-sized flatscreen TV and 3 satellites: English stations included several news stations, CNBC-e (which shows US prime-time and cable shows at night), and Cartoon Network, but most stations are Turkish. Hardwood floors. Spotless. Excellent air conditioning. Ikea furnishings include a comfortable L-shaped sofa, a large queen-sized bed with firm mattress, and a dining set for 4. Kitchen includes state-of-the-art refrigerator/freezer and washer, plates and utensils. A single burner to do any cooking (microwave would be handier). Large shower stall with good pressure and lots of hot water, some toiletries. Nice towels and sheets. Tons of space, at least 3 times the square footage I would have gotten for the same price in the Old City.

View of the street in the front (faces another hotel and a bright street light), no view from the back. Well-lighted.

Berkay and Mehmet are very accessible by Blackberry Messenger. But as I don't like to use any portables while I'm on holiday, I didn't take advantage of their services. Berkay visited me briefly towards the end to my stay. We had a nice chat - he is an enterprising young man with a lot going on. As he has recently moved closer to the hotel, he expects he will be more accessible to guests in the near future.

I was offered daily maid service, but only asked for cleaning on one day. The cleaning job wasn't very thorough. Although I got fresh towels and my bathroom trash was removed, my bedsheets were not changed, my kitchen sink was not cleaned, my dishes were not washed, and my kitchen garbage was not removed. Not a big deal, since I am very neat anyway.

My one small issue was with noise, but it's not what you think. Yes, there was some club noise on Friday and Saturday night, because there is a street with nargile clubs just one street over. But that's almost nothing and it's more like white noise - easy to ignore. Most of the time it was very quiet. On the first night there was construction (hammering and drilling) going on in the neighbouring building until midnight. I e-mailed Berkay the next morning, and never had a problem after that. Coincidence? Or was it Berkay's crew making the noise in the first place? I still have no idea. Anyway I'm grateful it was taken care of.

This location cannot be beaten for any stay in Istanbul greater than 2-3 days. If all you have time for is the big sights (Aya Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi), then you should probably stick to the Old City. But if you are more than 2 people or if you are staying longer than 2-3 days, this is the place for you. Everything you need is nearby and at lower prices less than those in the Old City. There is a Carrefour Express grocery store a few blocks away where you can get bottled water, beverages, fresh fruit, chips. On Istiklal you have great restaurants at different price points (including US chains), ATMs, currency exchanges (use these to convert to TLs), cafes, all the best shops, internet cafes. But most of all you have the energy of Istiklal, which is always packed with people, mostly Turks and much fewer tourists than the Old City. You feel much safer here and less harassed. Great nightlife, too - plenty of live music, nargile clubs, and late-night diners. Istiklal is a street that never sleeps.

I travelled solo, and this hotel still made sense for me because of the amenities and incredible value. But for a family or a group of friends, this is a slam dunk. What a bargain at 100 Euros a night in mid-September. Nearby hotels charge more than double that. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat, and next time I will share a nargile with Berkay on the rooftop, as he offered.

Final tips:
1) Bring your own dishwashing liquid, laundry detergent, sponges, dishcloths. These are expensive in Turkey. Also, bring a clothesline.
2) Fill your fridge with bottled water from Carrefour. You can't drink the water in Istanbul. You should use bottled water even for brushing your teeth, possibly even as a final rinse to washing your dishes. (BTW, don't order ice in your drinks in restaurants either.)
3) Make sure you have some kind of smartphone or wireless device to communicate with Berkay and Mehmet.
4) Take your front door key with you everywhere, as the passcode to the front door changes every month for safety reasons.
5) Your room passcard triggers the power to the room. So with one card, you can't run the A/C or do a load of laundry while you're out.
6) Keep your kitchen trash in the freezer to minimize odour.

I had a fantastic time in Istanbul, in large part due to Berkay and Mehmet. Thanks, guys!

Room Tip: No elevator, but a higher floor is probably better to get away from any noise from Bunk Cafe (someti...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank VinceBToronto_Canada

Dear Vince ,

We very much appreciated your positive review of our services ,rooms and staff. It was a pleasure reading your comments regarding Mehmet and me. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience.

There is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. Rest assured that your comments have been shared, so I may enliven our team members with your thoughtful compliments.

I am confident that our staff delights in knowing that they contributed to the enjoyment of your stay and we all look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Everything was perfect! From spacious room with very nice design and very rational layout to the very fast internet, from superb location - 100 meters from Taxim and Istiklal but in a very quiet side street - to the nice litlle cafe "Bunk" on the first floor, from heartful and effective young stuff to fast internet. Thank you!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SergeyVS

Dear Valuable Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of 212 Istanbul Suites.Thank you for your very extensive review and providing so many details and insights which is a good guide for our future visitors.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel during your visit in Istanbul.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at 212 Istanbul Suites. They are in a great location, very close to Taksim Square and the pedestrian shopping street. (However, let the Suites arrange your transfer from the airport; it would initially be hard to find. After that, it is easy.). The apartment we had was clean and functioned well (in fact, probably the best WiFi connection we've had in all of our travels). The hosts were very helpful and friendly.
All hotels and rentals have problems. The mark of quality is how they deal with issues. At 212 Istanbul Suites, our TV didn't work initially. When we told them, they replaced it immediately. Excellent service. This was good value and a good choice for us.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hfarbs

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind feedback. I am very delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and our services.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I spent ages searching for a perfect place to stay in İstanbul with my family for the affordable price. At the end, I was very satisfied with my choice. Its a quite place in the very center of Istanbul/Taksim. So you could sleep well and get a good rest for the next adventurous day in Istanbul. The rooms were catchy to the eye but as comfortable as home at the same time, and most importantly very clean. One of our concerns with my wife was the security before coming to İstanbul but the place left no questions in mind. We were very comfortable with our two little children. Our host Berkay is a great guy, you can ask him anything you want and he is always there to help you with his best. Some of his recommendations about places to eat provides you taste good food and save your money. He even arranged us a nanny to look after the kids one night. The WiFi works excellent btw. Don't hesitate to book and stay so you won't regret it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Luis C

Dear Luis;

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback and kind words about our apartment and staff. Your review has moved and inspired our team beyond words.That most sincere comments of our apartment and hard working staff members has reminded us again why we love doing what we do so much.

And also your helpful tip about Istanbul will help a lot to our future guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to 212 Istanbul Suites when your travels bring you back to Istanbul again .