“Unmatched hospitality!”

Ranked #54 of 1,031 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Dubai
“Unmatched hospitality!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is my second trip to Istanbul and Kumru Hotel is leaps and bounds above the other hotel that I stayed at. The rooms are spacious compared to typical Turkish rooms and the breakfast was the BEST meal of the day. I traveled with my 7 month old baby and two friends and the owners, Abdul and Melissa were more than accommodating to us. They made traveling with a baby much easier. I ran out of some baby supplies so Melissa went out of her way to help me get them and Abdul drove us to the top of the hill to avoid the cobblestone street with the stroller. I've never had a hotel feel like "home." The rest of the staff were so friendly and kind as well.
The hotel is close to Sultanahmet (Blue Mosque, AyaSophia, etc), about a 10 minute walk. It's new, clean and modern in a quiet neighborhood (at least when it's not time for the call to prayer!). When looking for the hotel, neighbors would stop and ask us if we needed help getting back. Abdul and Melissa gave us hotel cards that we would use show the name of the hotel. I had one guy actually call Abdul and walk me to the hotel himself after getting directions over the phone.
What a wonderful experience! I have already recommended this hotel to my friends planning to visit Istanbul and will staying here when I return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the deluxe suite which is the only room on the fourth floor. It was nice to know that...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank audrey W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Turkish first
Dayton, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I actually chose to stay at the Kumru based solely on I was a single female traveler from the US and the co-owner Melissa had been as well when she arrived to Istanbul. I was greeted by Abdul in the street as I was trying to find the hotel and he recognized me after I had liked there Facebook page. The room I had was perfect, I was told of a great nearby restaurant (Cesme Restaurant) as I was starving when I arrived. The breakfasts each morning were outstanding, so much to choose from. I was offered all the advice on where to go and how to get there as I needed. It surprised me that this very small hotel had 24 hour reception, it didnt seem necessary, and I'm accustomed to small places only having daytime reception, but also a nice touch. The hotel is at the bottom of a steep hill, which I wouldn't have minded except tht it was also quite hot and I didn't want to have shiny face for photos first thing in the day. Taxis were always driving past and were willing to take me only up the hill. They were all so kind, none ever wanted to charge me, but I always paid anyway. Melissa and Abdul both had great knowledge and great English, I ventured out to some less-touristy areas. I hope to have time to do more of that on my next visit to Istanbul and Hotel Kumru! I almost forgot! Melissa provided me with excellent instructions on how to get to the hotel from the airport via public transport as I had requested.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank IheartMunich
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Melissa and Ahmed are perfect hosts. If y are looking for simple but comfortable clean good value well situated home whilst visitng Istanbul then look no further. The double rooms are not huge but v comfortable. The familyv ooms are more spacious as youbwouldcexpect. Good beds,bowels, TVs even..Melissa even lent me a small case for my visit to Ephesus. 24 hour staff is a welcome extra in such a small hotel. Good breakfasts onion the roof terrace.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SXO
Iqaluit
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

This b&b is awesome. Very clean and confortable. Very well located, in a non busy street. The breakfast is seriously awesome. My girl friend and I liked it very much. And if you have a diner there, ask for their turkish wine. It is very nice.
The owners were more them awesome. Very very welcoming. I got sick because I was traveling in Nepal just before and they were so helpfull to me. They even cooked something that I could eat.
I will go back there without even wondering if I can found a better place.
Wonderfull.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jack b
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

A very nice place to stay in istambul, about 10 min walk to go in downtown (AyaSophia, Blue mosquet,...and so on..)
Abdul, Melissa and all the staff provide really good advise on every thing you need...
the Service is really impressive....you need to take a beer on the roof...no problem...^^
This is a seven room hotel made with love..... we past 5 days in istambul and we definitively recommand this hotel to every people who wants to stay in sulthanamet and be outside touristic place...
how to say...this was a perfect stay...in a perfect place...
We will come back of course in the same place if we can....
Don't think...just go....!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Josserand M
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed at standard double room, They offered an exceellent private care at room, we booked massage service at room, and immediately served after 10 minutes, this service could spend about some dollars but they worked really great. Standard room with free wifi, big Flat tv, also they put some tea & coffee on the table for complimentary as well, Breakfast with many choices in the morning with Turkish food and many foreign food.Hotel staff booked us a city trip, the trip could not have been better, we loved it so much!!!

Room Tip: Standard room was nice but you could pay more for suite room to get best deal
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dayton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

My mother and I stayed at the Kumru hotel the end of August. We had an amazing time. I cannot describe the comfort and confidence we had in a strange, new and large city because of the connection with our hosts. Melissa corresponded with me from day 1, answering my questions about getting around, help with a travel guide, and then once we arrived, she and Abdul shuttled us, recommended restaurants and walks, and made sure that we got home safely. I don't even want to post pictures of the breakfast! I will though. The breakfast--served on the terrace--was just other-worldly in a wonderful sort of way. I counted over 50 different local, fresh items, including fruits, cheeses, olives, yogurts, eggs, etc. How can a breakfast be one of the highlights of a trip? Here it is.
Our room was large. The beds were very comfortable--probably the best of our 5 locations. I cannot recommend this place highly enough if you are looking for an experience that rings far truer than a chain hotel.

Room Tip: We loved the large room on the top floor across from the terrace. The view out the window is incred...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family