“Pretty much perfect ...”
Review of Kumru Hotel

Kumru Hotel
Ranked #60 of 1,115 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here for a long weekend in Istanbul after a working week in the city. Coming from London, this was like being able to reach all the main tourist sites in the centre of a city, whilst staying in the quiet seclusion of somewhere like Brighton, complete with sea-view from the terrace. The hosts, Melissa and Abdul, are both charming and helpful and answered all of my piffling questions with a mixture of local knowledge and grace. You couldn't ask for a better place to stay in Istanbul.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BenPayne

Reviewed October 10, 2012

It's a little hotel, in the middle of Sultanahmet, very close to everything you would like to visit.
It's only few rooms, a bit small but very comfortable and very well designed (we are architect).
The owners are very very kindly and friendly, they recommended where to eat, where to go (this time we were more than unorganized, because we escaped from work and stayed in Istanbul just 4 days, too less everyone said) and everything was perfect!
There is a top terrace were to enjoy the breakfast and look at the wonderful panoramic view of Istanbul.. so your day starts in the better way ;)
Price are very low, compared to the standard of the hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bbuona_forketta
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed at the Kumru hotel for 12 days. At first I choose the hotel for it's modern colourful decor but shortly found that behind this was a wonderful couple, Melissa and Abdul, who, with their fantastic staff made my holiday unforgettable. Months before I left for Istanbul, Melissa nicely answered all my questions (emails) I adressed her. As, during my stay, everyone was there helping me whenever I needed it. The rooms are a five star quality. The Wifi functioned well and the breakfast had a good variety even for a long stay.
The hotel is at walking distance from the main attractions but in a calm district which is much appreciated after a day in the Istanbul crowd.
With no doubt I shall return!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lou B
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed at the Kumru hotel as a solo female traveler, and loved it. The owners are so welcoming. Melissa is a world traveler herself, and was helpful with advice for how to navigate Istanbul on my own. Aburrahman and Melissa both were so responsive to questions regarding itinerary order (how to avoid crowds), good restaurants tips, etc. Breakfast is a feast of choices, all on a roof-top terrace, and the hotel has refreshingly modern decor. The whole staff is so friendly, safe area, close to all the major sites. Loved it and would definitely return.

Room Tip: My room was next to the elevator, so I did hear the soft bell when guests were going up for breakfas...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank lifefullcolor
MCT672, Owner at Kumru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thanks so much for your kind review. Having been a solo traveler I have a real affinity for our solos and try to provide as much support as required - Istanbul is a great city to explore whether on your own or with others and we hope to provide some added value with tips and suggestions when requested.

Thanks also for your feedback on the elevator noise. It has been an annoyance but after some persistence we have gotten our maintenance guy to shut off the bell so it will not bother guests any longer - especially in the morning as staff are bringing food up to the terrace.

We so enjoyed having you stay and hope you will return to Kumru hotel soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed at Kumru for six nights total. It was great. Melissa and Abdul are the best, so helpful in every way. Melissa was helpful even before we arrived, giving lots of useful information as we planned our trip. The whole staff at Kumru is great. The room was comfortable as was the bed. We did not find it noisy at all. We really enjoyed the neighborhood. It was very comfortable to be there and it is an easy walk to many of the important sights and to the tramline. The breakfast was very nice it always included fresh fruits, cheeses, cereals, and hot options. We enjoyed sitting on the roof terrace every morning.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie W
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed in the Kumru Hotel for a total of 5 nights when we were in Istanbul at the beginning and end of our trip to Turkey. I have been to Istanbul approximately ten times through the years and this is by far the best experience I have had in any hotel there, including hotels with rates multiples higher.

During our stay in Turkey my wife needed an emergency appendectomy shortly after we arrived. Melissa and Abdul were an immense help in navigating the entire process - quite a daunting task to pick the correct hospital, navigate a foreign medical system and make all the necessary arrangements to accommodate her in a post operative state. It was invaluable to have resourceful, intelligent people that had our back.

By the end of the trip and upon our return to Istanbul, my wife was essentially recovered and excited to see Istanbul. On our second stay we experienced the hotel as normal tourists without any medical surprises! The rooms are larger than normal, the construction is brand new and everything is immaculately clean and comfortable. The breakfasts are fantastic and some of the best we had in turkey - everything was extremely fresh and much attention was taken to preparation. The Kumru is well situated in the old town close to everything but in a quiet area without tourist masses. I have been to many hotels in Istanbul - this is a great hotel. In terms of value I don't think you can find better.

Melissa and Abdul as a team are able to understand both western and Turkish nuances. This translates into really having excellent advice on what to see and where to go. How many front desks are able to navigate US health insurance and tell you what a specific turkish rug is worth without a hiccup? Of course it goes beyond that into really anything you might need. They are friendly, professional and know how to run the place.

I will strongly recommend this hotel to any of my friends that might travel to Istanbul.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ncanter
Reviewed September 15, 2012

After traveling for 6 weeks and staying in MANY hotels, this was probably the best hotel of our trip. My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights and it was wonderful. Melissa and Abdul (and the entire staff) are SO helpful, warm, and welcoming. We felt extremely safe and well taken care of. It was nice to have Melissa, someone from the United States to talk to and discuss restaurants, sights, etc.

The walk to the Grand Bazaar, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, etc. is about 10 minutes, but yes, it is straight uphill. We didn't have any issue with this at all. I loved being able to come back to the hotel easily whenever we wanted.

The breakfasts are wonderful, exactly what you want out of a breakfast. Fruits, cheeses, bread, a little meat, eggs, etc. Just a lovely spread of food. We also loved our room facing the street where we could hear kids playing in the streets, prayer time, etc.

You won't regret staying here!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple