“Average to Good hotel, just be realistic about your expectations!”

Galata La Bella Hotel
Ranked #376 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Tromsø
“Average to Good hotel, just be realistic about your expectations!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I should warn you that I have no idea what hotel standards in Istanbul are. Without comparative experiences, my review may be an unfair assessment, but I'll try for a balanced review.

I was unfortunate to be allocated a room with a view of a wall. Yes, literary, a wall! The (dirty and peeling) wall was about a meter from my (only) window and hollowed into an abyss below. Additionally, the room was very small, and I bumped into something every now and then. A word for the claustrophobic; perhaps you need to ask for a proper room in advance.

The biggest no no for me, however, was that there was no desk in my room. Since I was not on holiday, but on a conference trip, I expected to work on my presentation sitting an a desk with my laptop. I asked for a room change or desk, but did not get either, and that was a big let down. I had to sit on the bed, stop whining and carry on with my work on my lap.

Don't get me wrong, it is not all dark and gloomy with this hotel. The furniture had a nice modern feel to it. The shower and toilet was big, with excellent fittings. The toilet and shower were spotless when they were cleaned. Be warned, the housekeeper will ask you in the corridor, "Room clean?". And if you give the wrong sign language, don't expect your room to be clean (or a new tea/coffee set) when you return. That question means "Would you like me to enter your room? (at all?)" - so be sure you convey the right answer. The bed, the linen, the pillows were to die for, really comfortable.

One big redeeming factor for this hotel is the staff that are so polite and eager to provide the best service they can; and this (kind of) makes up for most of the less than satisfactory services.

Another good point is that the hotel is well located, with the tram nearby, thus easy access to most parts of the city. It's also a walking distance to many amenities; the Galata Tower and Istiklal Street to Taksim. In fact, on arrival, I used the metro and tram from the airport with no trouble at all - for 4 lira. The metro (M1) is the only departing train from the airport, so you cant take the wrong one, then an easy change to the tram at Zeytinburnu, and got a good first impression of Istanbul, then got off two blocks from the hotel.

The mini-bar was stocked to the full with mostly fizzy drinks, beer and wine. A Fanta costs 2 Euro or 5 Lira in the mini-bar, or if you're thrifty like me, you could go a few meters down the street to buy a Fanta for just 2 Lira. You will need those drinks and water in summer.

I don't care much for breakfast, but it was OK the few times I had it; with an excellent cheese selection.

I cant say more about the terrace view; it's worthy of the praise.

If you're into TV, do not expect any more excitement than the BBC World News on the channel list .

All in all, I think I had too high expectations for this hotel, and while not entirely disappointed, my advise would be that you should be realistic about your expectations - it's Istanbul!

Room Tip: Avoid the single rooms with view of the wall.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Italy
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Perfect location, nice view of the Bosforo from the Superior Room where we stayied, nice and cosy terrace on the top floor.
Staff at the reception really helpfull, especially Erbil and Atilla, who assisted us with everything from suggestions for places to eat to advice on getting round the city and which tourist attractions to visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Almaty
Reviewed August 22, 2012

It is great location, comforting service for little money - we walked to most hystorical places in Istanbul and Taksim. Rooms are nice, well equipped and served 24 hourse. Team was very helpful, gentle and addressed our every need, especially Erbil, Emrah, Umit and Murad, which made our stay very comfortable and safe.
We liked terrace the most, as it became our nice relaxing escape from hectic Istambul with top veiws which are fantastic! I highly reccomend to select this hotel to my friends while travelling to Istambul. Just excellent and we enjoyed very very much!

Room Tip: double room are just great
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We spent 4 nights at this hotel last week. The roof terrace was nice, but a little too quiet. Curiously, they had no menu available, but after randomly selecting options that the waiter called out the food was very good. The room was absolutely tiny, not even room to open our suitcases except on top of the beds, but it was very clean. The bathroom had zero counter space, but a nice large shower with excellent water pressure. The location was easy to get around from by train/tram, but difficult to get a taxi back to. I think if I go again I would prefer to stay on Istiklal where it is a little busier.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank c0c0nn0r
Bronx, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed in July for 4 nights. I chose it for the view from the terrace and it did not disappoint. It was awesome having drinks and meals looking at the the Aya Sofia, Blue Mosque, New Mosque and the Palace all from my hotel. The staff was friendly, helpful and courteous. Emra at reception was helpful beyond words by helping me to reach a local Turk that I had met at a previous stop in Turkey. He even placed a call from his own cell phone for me.
Although our room was small, it was intelligently furnished and therefore comfortable. The breakfast buffet had plenty of choices and it was all delicious. The price was so reasonable and for its location (so close to the historic district- just across the bridge) it was a real deal. I would definitely stay there again on a future trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I found this hotel via Tripadvisor and am very glad we stayed there. It is a small hotel across the Golden Horn from the main tourist attractions and a short walk to lots of bars and restaurants in Beyoglu. The view from the hotel roof-terrace bar is fantastic - we enjoyed a pre-dinner drink there most evenings, watching the sun set and listening to the call to prayer. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms are small so make sure you're sharing with a close friend! There's so much to do in Istanbul that it's unlikely you'll be spending much time there anyway. As others have mentioned it's hard to find as it is down a very small side street - print out the address and a map to show to the taxi driver if you take one from the airport.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I found the hotel on the web, never having been to Istanbul. Great find, location is good, rooms are very nice and the staff is extrmelly helpful, from the manager to the concierges. Onl;y trouble was findind the hotel since Istanbul is a large dity with small streets and corners. Worth the persue, though.

Room Tip: Al the rooms seemed to be nice; I stayed on the second floor and it was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo