“Worse quality than youth hostels”
Review of The Bridge Hotel

The Bridge Hotel
Ranked #787 of 1,081 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This is by far the worst hotel I've stayed in for the last 10 years or so. First, the location: The pictures depict this hotel to have a view of the Bosporus, as well as the accompanying text. Well, I'm sure one or two of their rooms do, however, the hotel is comprised of several small buildings that are spread around the area, therefore I'd say not even the rooftops of majority of these buildings could not see the sea. Speaking of being spread around; we had to walk for about 10 minutes to reach our "room" from the main hotel building where the reservation desk is located. I must also note that there is no telephone at the room, thus even if you're missing anything -which I'm sure all of their rooms will be- you cannot reach them to ask for it. We had no quilts (this is February we're talking about, freezing outside kind of weather, coldest you can have in Turkey) in the room, and the heaters were also under-performing on top of that. Also they've placed a total number of 1 towel for two people. This one towel is to be used for your hands, face, body and feet, I assume, deeming each person worthy of half a tower generously. The amount of hot water was not even sufficient for one person, and the shower head was broken. The toilet flush was leaking, making a very annoying water sound non-stop.

The room itself was so small that you have no space to move around. The double bed is also the smallest two person bed I've seen in my entire life. Let me say that my single youth bed was slightly broader than this one, and leave it at that. The room's paint job was also horrible, with quite visible cracks in the wall.

In the morning, to reach the breakfast venue we again needed to walk back 10 minutes, and the service was definitely not worth the effort. There's only instant coffee and the tea was not good either. In the end, we ended up walking to the seaside to have our breakfast elsewhere instead.

The only promise they've kept was the availability of an internet connection, which was not a sufficient upside to make us stay more than one night here. Oh, by the way, they charge you for the room price before even seeing your room so I'm guessing people do stay for one day at least. They claimed that their credit card machine was broken and we needed to pay in cash. They also have not given us a receipt for our payment, their cash register were also conveniently "broken". Two days after our stay, we got an e-mail from our reservation site, saying that due to us not cancelling in time, our credit card has been charged. This was the last straw. Luckily we contacted them in time and wasn't charged twice for this horrible horrible experience.

Do yourselves a favour and just avoid this one, really.

Room Tip: Check whether your room has towels & the hot water is actually running, etc. before the hotel at...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peliassos

Reviewed October 1, 2013

The bridge hotel is very excellent!!! I came with a friend we booked a room for 2. The room is really clean, they always clean. The staff is very very nice. There is a person who spkeaks english Masoud and the manager Ali Riza is such a really really good person, he was our turkish father! There is a good wifi-connexion and the breakfast was really good!
The hotel is really well located, it is in Ortaköy near from everything!! The place is very nice and calm! There is the see and a bus station at 5min from the hotel and the most entertainment place in Taksim is at 10 min by bus, it is very pratical!
If I go back to Istanbul I will for sure to choose this hotel!!! I advice it to everyone!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Halouma69
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Me and my husband came to Istanbul for a wedding of our friends and booked this hotel in May, the location was good for us and the reviews we read at that time were fine.
We arrived, around 3 p.m. were told to wait for the rooms to be ready more than half an hour. Then we went to the other building where our rooms were situated. The size of the room is 2x2 meter maximum, most of the space taken by the bed so you cannot move around. The shower was in the toilet with no curtain, so the water spreads everywhere. All the furniture very used, shelf in the bathroom and the sink seem to fall apart when you touch it. There are stains on the ceiling and the bed covers had stains as well. Breakfast is very scarce, olives, some cheese and tomatoes, coffee is instant. The cafe where the breakfast is does not look very clean inside either.
The first evening we came back from the sightseeing and saw a note addressed to another person that his personal belongings were moved. They should have been doing this while we were waiting to check in, most probably the room and was not even cleaned for us afterwards. We contacted the reception, but they told is fine and the note is not for us. We had other friends staying in this hotel, and they had to move their room two times because there is no proper plan of accommodation. As we did not want the same happenning to us and worst of all loosing our belongings, we moved out after one night.
I would say that 60 EUR per night is much too high for such a place, should cost like 20 EUR max. We really recommend to avoid this hotel, it has very unprofessional staff and is badly maintained. There are other nice hotels to stay in this area at a similar price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dashenka_Ru
Reviewed July 14, 2013

A terrible hotel, a tourist trap of worst kind would sum up the 3 nights experience we had this July at Bridge Hotel in Istanbul, Ortakoy.
The room was extremely small and on the top of that very very very dirty. It was obvious that they are just changing the sheets but nothing else for the next guests. The bathroom was downright dirty, with hairs from the previous users, splashed of toothpaste on the sink, etc. The shower the same, when I got in the shower gel box from the previous guests just fell on my head.
The bathroom was actually a built in cubicle in an already very small room, so there was not even enough space to place one luggage on the floor.
There was mould on the ceiling.
The staff was quite unfriendly, did not really speak English and was not willing to change the room or accommodate any other request. We have asked at least for a proper cleaning of the place, and a lady came half heartedly in, swept the floor, but left the bathroom untouched....

We have stayed in the Ice Room, 1st floor and some friends stay in the Red Room, which was not small, but just plain dirty. I have also attached some photos, for confirmation...
You are much better off avoiding it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Asha G
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Very small hotel, claustrofobic almost. Dirty rooms, yellow on the ceileing from previous water leaks. In the bathroom you could barely turn around, hairs on the floor, disfunctional toilet. Electric socket pulled out of the wall showing an improvisation of wires twisted together by hand. Dog with partly missing fur always lying about in the hotel lobby, felt sorry for it, but not really a tourist catcher...together with the tatooed, shorts-wearing, sweaty smelling receptionist, made a pretty shabby first impression all in all...Do yourself a favor and avoid it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Radu M
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was such an awful experience. Firstly, I was assured that I would be picked up from the airport upon my arrival. I confirmed this pick up the day before I arrived and I spoke with the manager. However, when i arrived in Istanbul after 15 hours of travel, there was no shuttle or taxi awaiting. At which point, i called the hotel to inquire and they told me they are not allowed to pick up hotel guests from the airport and that I must take a taxi. When I arrived i was asked if I could pay in cash. Who pays for a hotel in cash???? Next, I was told that the room would be handicapp accessible because I was traveling with my mother who has a dissability. However, they brought me to a room where I needed to walk up a flight of stairs with no banister. Lastly, the shower leaked. I had to ask for towels. they did not change my sheets. The manager is a con artist looking to line his pockets.

Room Tip: The manager is a con artist looking to line his pockets. Do yourself a favor and do not stay there...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maryam G
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have just spent a month @ the Bridge Hotel in Istanbul. I had a great time from the moment I arrived, treated with an extra ordinary care and great hospitality. The room I stayed in were nice and clean. The staff were professional, friendly and helpful. The breakfast was freshly made. There is a great neighborhood nearby worth visiting ( a lot of antiques ) and a walking distance to Phosphorous Ortakoy. There was a great atmosphere throughout my stay and a great value for money. I would definitely stay at the Bridge again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo