Review Highlights
Best Baklava class

After searching all over Istanbul for a Baklava baking class I signed up with Afiet olsun and I’m... read more

Reviewed April 18, 2019
Wanderer546947
via mobile
Amazing Food Tour - Off the Beaten Path

We did a food tour through Alp and it was amazing! Our guide took us not only to local and classic... read more

Reviewed September 11, 2018

from $96.49
from $56.76
from $28.38
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 1, 2013

If you're like me and want to get close to the heart of your destination of choice, this is an opportunity not to be missed! Alp was the perfect host; friendly, easy going and welcoming. Whilst his endearing mother demonstrated how to prepare a multitude of delicious dishes, Alp translated, entertained and shared his knowledge of Istanbul's culture, current affairs and history. The pair made the perfect duo, making the experience homely and personable. Situated in an idyllic location, after all the fun of cooking, we were treated to authentic and tasty Turkish cuisine made with love!

Date of experience: August 2013
1  Thank fs1009
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My boyfriend Chris and I had a great time with Alp and his mom, who is an experienced home cook and excellent cooking teacher. Alp's English is excellent and he has a great attitude and sense of humor. He was very flexible in helping arrange the time of the cooking class with our ever-changing schedules. We cooked for several hours in the "home kitchen" space in Sultanahmet - the location was very convenient and close to public transportation. We learned several traditional recipes - rice pilaf, stuffed eggplants, rice pudding, and deep fried phyllo pastries with cheese and spinach. The cooking techniques and materials we learned were fun and unusual, like deep-frying a whole (small) eggplant to soften it before stuffing it. We had an enthusiastic conversation about Turkish culture, history, and food while we ate the meal we had prepared. One thing, I would have felt safer cutting and chopping with sharper knives, but it made me realize how lucky I am as an American to have quality, sharp knives. Thanks Alp and Les Arts Turc!

Date of experience: September 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank MEGAN D
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Had a first time experience of working in a kitchen and that too of the professional kind. Under the able and experienced guidance of the chefs we were able to work on ingredients turning them into a sumptuous three course meal. I never knew cooking could be such a wonderful and satisfying experience. We were served the same dishes later as lunch, It was indeed very enjoyable. Learning the art of cooking up a cuisine and that too of distant lands will always remain etched in the mind.

A 'Must Do' recommendation while in Istanbul.

Date of experience: June 2013
1  Thank deepak2711
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I came across Les Arts Turc while researching for our visit to Turkey in June 2013. They offer many workshops - calligraphy, Turkish language lessons, painting on tiles etc. but what excited me most was their lesson on Turkish cuisine. An extended family of 13 members - ages ranging from 80 to 11 years - decided to go on a gastronomy excursion. We were taken to a beautifully appointed professional kitchen. There were about 8 fully kitted out workstations ready with all ingredients that would be required. We were handed out our aprons and got down to some seriously fun filled cooking session. We were taught how to make a starter, pilaf, non veg main course, a veg main course and a dessert. The instructions were clear and concise and the chief chef and his assistants handled the group very well. After the session we all sat down to the hearty meal cooked by us. The dining area, on the ground floor, was airy and bright. This workshop was really the highlight of our trip and I recommend it as a must do when in Istanbul. As promised the recipes were emailed to us promptly.

Date of experience: June 2013
1  Thank 07Travel67
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a morning's cookery lesson with Alp and his mother in a small flat in Sultanahmet. There were just the two of us although I belive that Alp runs courses for bigger groups as well. The recipes were suitably simple for us to be able to try to recreate them at home but also authentically Turkish. The food was delicious - don't have a large breakfast before doing this class! We also really enjoyed the opportunity to talk to Alp about Turkish culture and history - his English is really good and he was very happy to answer our questions. After the lesson he took us to the Spice Bazaar and showed us some fabulous shops just outside the Bazaar - wonderful delicatessens ans spice shops!! Highly recommended!!

Date of experience: May 2013