“Great Experience - answered all of my questions!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Afiyet Olsun Istanbul- Cooking Workshop

Afiyet Olsun Istanbul- Cooking Workshop
More attraction details
Owner description: We have a Professional & Home Kitchen located in Sultanahmet Area for the travellers who are wants to learn about the Real Turkish Cuisine in a friendly, relaxed & not rushed atmosphere. we have different menu choices available and teach all different types of Turkish & Ottoman foods. If you want to learn something special, please let us know and we can teach you that recipe as well. On special inquiry, we can make Home Made Baklava & Turkish Manti. Vegetarian Cuisine is also available for our guests. The lessons can be in the morning - afteroons or evenings. After the cooking we will eat the foods that we prepare along iwth a nice conversation. Afiyet Olsun Istanbul. Turkish cuisine is the similar version of Ottoman cuisine with some additionals from Central Asia, Middle East, Balkanian & Mediterranian cuisines.When you take a look at the whole frame, Turkish cuisine is full of varieties. Aside from common Turkish specialities that can be found throughout the country, there are also many region-specific specialities.The Black Sea region's cuisine (northern Turkey) is based on corn and anchovies. The southeast-Urfa, Gaziantep and Adana-is famous for its kebabs, mezes and dough-based desserts such as baklava, kadayif and kunefe.Especially in the western parts of Turkey, where olive trees are grown abundantly, olive oil is the major type of oil used for cooking. The cuisines of the Aegean, Marmara and Mediterranean regions display basic characteristics of Mediterranean cuisine as they are rich in vegetables, herbs and fish. Central Anatolia is famous for its pastry specialities such as manti and gozleme.Afiyet Olsun Istanbul- Cooking WorkshopIdea : This is a special tour about representing Turkish cuisine with its culture. During tour , you will be able to learn to cook traditional Turkish Cuisine from our pofessional Turkish chefs.Morning lessons starts 10:30 or 11:00 Afternoon lessons are between 13:30 or 15:00Duration is app. 2.5 - 3 Hours.But we always have flexibility on timings.. Cooking times depends on the students..Location : The classes are held in 2 different location. Our Home kitchen is located in the Sultanahmet area ( Old Town ) and our profesional kitchen is located in Galata Area.Our Chefs : (Mr. Fatih, Mr. Seref, Mrs. Sevim, Ms. Serpil) They are all professional Experienced Turkish Chefs in Taditional Turkish CuisineMenu : Our chefs decide about what to cook before the lessons because we don't like to repeat the same recipes over and over to our students but we usually cook 4 or 5 course meal alond with a traditional Turkish Sweet. If there is any food you like to learn, please send e-mail to us and we can add the recipe to our lesson.Vegetarian Turkish Cooking : We also organise Turkish Vegetarian Cooking. Please let us know if you are interested.
Geneva
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great Experience - answered all of my questions!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

We made several dishes: Etli dolma (Stuffed peppers and zucchini), Haydari (a garlic, mint and yogurt sauce), Potlican Meze (eggplant and cheese paste), Portehdli Irmih (a sweet seomlina dessert) that were very tasty. Come hungry!

The thing I loved most about this class was how personable everybody was. There was a vibrant energy and clear passion for the country, culture and food of Turkey. They were eager to share and dove in deep whenever I had questions (about Turkish coffee, the chicken breast pudding, Turkish tea brewing methods, etc - I had a lot of questions). The spice market tour was thorough and leisurely. I felt like I had all the time in the world to discuss and learn from the crew. This was a highlight of my trip!

Visited October 2012
3 Thank pjaszewski

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Very friendly staff, good food, somewhat pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We've had great experiences with cooking classes in other countries, and very much looking forward to learning to replicate some of the Turkish flavors we'd been eating all week. Our tour leader Alp was very friendly, informative and hospitable. He led us over from the main office to the the smaller workshop house where the chef was waiting for us. This is not a formal class type scenario with individual workstations. Instead it's more of an observing scenario, where you get to help chop things and do some mixing. The food was all very good, but I was hoping for a little more for our €60 per person fee. We didn't even get recipe cards. Instead we had to write down notes on scrap paper and guesstimate quantities. Fun class, but a little over priced.

Visited September 2012
Chicago, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great food, great company, great experience!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

My friend and I wanted to come back home from our trip to Istanbul and be able to impress our friends and families with our Turkish cuisine cooking abilities;-) We found the Turkish Cooking Workshop through trip advisor and arranged to have a cooking class on a Friday morning.
It turned out to be a great time! We diced, sliced, and cooked in a real restaurant kitchen. Not only we learned a lot about Turkish cuisine and made great (and delicious) traditional Ottoman dishes, but also we got a chance to spend quality time in great company of the chef and Alp, our guide.
After we ate the meal we've prepared, we were offered freshly made halva dessert with Turkish coffee. When we asked about fortune telling from the coffee grinds (something we saw in a coffee shop), it turned out that the chef knew how to interpret them....And so he did:)
Our cooking experience ended with the trip to the spice market with Alp. We found what we were looking for and went home charmed by Turkish hospitality.

Visited December 2011
3 Thank Juli_B_traveler
Newcastle, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Home style cooking with friendly locals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Our kitchen was in a small cafe in a quiet street in Sultanamet. Locals mosly, not many tourists. Alp (our guide) was easy going with fluent English who would talk about many topics and also took us to the spice market and the "new" mosque. He helped us to negotiate the purchase of some great food and artifacts at the spice market.

Visited December 2010
5 Thank cookie8cookies
Honolulu
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“The highlight of my trip!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

This was my second time in Istanbul, and I had so much fun at this workshop on my first visit, that I decided to take two more classes when I returned to Istanbul this year.
Our guide Alp is one of the most kind and genuine people I've ever met in my travels. He was eager to answer any/all questions about Turkish food, spices, culture...we learned so much in the few hours we spent with him. It really was the highlight of our visit to Istanbul.
We learned to make a variety of Turkish dishes and were able to participate in the preparation of each dish. The chefs that led the classes were just great, and then we had the pleasure of devouring our yummy meals.
After the class, Alp took us to the spice market and showed us the best places to buy spices and other food items. We never would have found these places without him, and it was so interesting and for me (a real foodie), super-exciting.
I must add a note that is icing on the cake. My friend and I were not happy with our room at the hotel, and felt the staff was rather unfriendly. We didn't want to complain, but Alp walked us to the hotel and talked to the staff, and they actually moved us to a better room!! That's what I call hospitality.
I had looked into a couple of other workshops, and they seemed a little pricey, and a bit more upscale. This was a great price for a comfortable experience, and the food was delicious.
I can't say enough about this workshop. They are good people, and it's a perfect way to get a glimpse into the food and culture from a very exciting city. I hope to return next year, and will definitely take another class. Thanks for the great experience!!:)

Visited October 2011