“One of the best meals I had at Istambul”

Sehzade Erzurum Cag Kebabi
Ranked #88 of 13,822 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Description: about a 15 minute walk from Sultanahmet
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This apparently no-thrills restaurant is somewhat pretentious (because the newspaper articles where it is mentioned are printed and serve as towel for all tables), but as soon as you have the first bite of your kebab it will become clear why. This kebab is done on a horizontal stick in order to maintain the juiciness of the meat and I personally felt the difference: the meat was delicious, juicy, and had just the right amount of spices.

A meal for 2 (2 kebab, 2 side orders: salad and chilli, 2 bottles of water and 2 cups of Turkish tea) costed us 40 TL and I can honestly say it was the best value-for-money meal we had in Instambul. If you like Kebab, make sure you make a stop here! A good reference point is the Sirkeci metro station.

There are newer reviews for Sehzade Erzurum Cag Kebabi

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Had dinner at Sehzade due to recommendations and proximity to our hotel. Was easy to find once you get your bearings right. Menu was simple with barely 10 items (couldn't take a picture of the menu as the waiter took it away after ordering). Had lamb durum and lamb skewers (x2) which came with wraps (both priced at 14 TL each), a portion of salad (3 TL) and a packet of water (which were readily available on the tables), all of which came quickly because really they were all prepared already, and final bill came to 35 TL including service (for 2 ppl).

Because we were here on a weekday evening at 7pm ish, restaurant was fairly quiet. The wrap was very soft and chewy, and the lamb was moist and minus all the fatty oils that you usually find in standard kebap shops.

They had an article of a NY times review of their restaurant on every single table so I read it whilst waiting for my food only to realise you needed yogurt + lamb skewers and wrap + salad to make the perfect meal. So my meal was rather dry as I didn't know you needed to order the yogurt to blend all the ingredients in (or perhaps one could be satisfied to eat it dry like me)...Couldn't fault them though, the guy who took our order tried his best with his English which was welcoming. I also find it comforting that the menu was that limited so that I didn't have to think for too long on what to eat.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Şehzade Erzurum Çag Kebabi is a great place to dine. It is a budget restaurant with some of the most delicious lamb meat on a skewer you can ever eat. We were 3 people and enjoyed our lentil soup, salads, and çag kebap (comes in 2 installments to the plate, so you eat it hot), and drinks all for 20 TL/person, a real value for an absolutely delicious filling meal. This great restaurant is at the corner of Ankara avenue and Hocapasa street at Sirkeci. It has a great location. The owner Özcan Yıldırım and all other personnel are very warm and friendly and they even have a Tripadvisor sticker on their door. Very fast service. I highly recommend this restaurant to every visitor who wants an authentic Turkish dish from Eastern Turkey for a great price.

2  Thank enigma2007
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Had a lovely lunch here. Service is fast and very friendly even though we are foreigners who only know how to say hello in Turkish. The meat is to-die-for: incredibly flavorful, smoky, and juicy, with the perfect fat to meat ratio. It's the best we've tasted so far, and we've been in Istanbul 6 days. I was a bit loathe to recommend this for fear it will be overrun by tourists, but I couldn't horde the joy in the end.

1  Thank WanderrlustAdv
Reviewed November 16, 2012

As a meat lover If you want to taste real meat in Turkey that's the right place. It'a small place and i can't say it is cosy at all. It is very basic place that serves only meat and 3 kinds of sides.
Their kebab is incredibly tasty , made of lamb. 1 porsion includes 2 shish which is small and would not be enough for a meatlover. Myself can get up to 4 porsions.. They feed the lambs on the north west part of Turkey in a convenient envorinment to get the best taste.. Deinetly worth to go and experience.

1  Thank Blitzistanbul