We came with my family with great expectations for this hotel. As a Gold member of Explendia and as other reviews. However, I was quite disappointed. To the point that when I came back to Istanbul at my return from traveling the countryside I decided to go to a different hotel.
1. The room is very nicely design. Bed was comfortable, Bathroom design nice.
2. The view of the restaurant is amazing. Really worth seen and having breakfast there.
3. The personnel: They are very kind, honest, helpful, eager to help but with not much room to maneuver because owner seems to be micromanaging everything.
4. Location: At the center of the old town in the golden horn. Close to but not in the tourist area so can offer a quite sleep.
5. Surrounded by a nice neighbors.
Negative: This was quite surprising for me. Particularly that this hotel is rated 5 stars. not even close.
1. Poor hotel management. We faced a problem int the bathroom and water started to leak from the ruff. We understand that accidents can happen. So, when we requested the hostess at the hotel to do something, he could do nothing because it was at night, wow 5 stars hotel!. We have to do everything in my parents bathroom and so we went to "sleep" with the sound of drops falling that went with time faster than just drops. In the morning we faced a bathroom flooded and again go to a different room to shower etc. They did not even offer a different room for the night. The damage was fix correctly that morning. But to our surprise, at night this happen again, a change of room was requested but the poor hostess could do nothing because "I have not power to do so and needs approval from the owner. This speaks very poorly of the owner management capacity (micromanager) and by far reduces the category of the hotel.
This factor was so important that at our return from traveling from the country side, we decided to change to a different hotel and stay at the Swissotel in Istanbul. What a difference!!!
2. PLEASE READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY. If you are traveling with elderly, people with mobility limitations or kids, I would suggest you stay elsewhere. The hotel is in the middle of a hill, so very often you will see your self going up on a steep walk. My mother who was 75 had a hard time doing it. And sometimes in the evening is hard to get a taxi. So nothing else to do but walk.
3. The hotel does not have a reception. The reception is a bar. Which from the 6 days I stay never so anybody besides the employees sitting in there, so is a waist of space.The "receptionist or barman or whatever you can define it" has to maneuver using different chairs or the bar table to have you sign papers. Very uncomfortable and not functional at all. I love boutique hotels but the priority is making feel the guest comfortable and these does not achieve this goal whatsoever.
3. Food. Menu is limited. But food is good.
4. The hotel does not have the name outside. So If you do not have a good memory, boy you will be looking around for a while because this are very narrow streets and you can loose orientation easily.
In conclusion I will go back to Istanbul next year. But I will not stay in this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a majestic historical building in Galata, the heart of modern day Istanbul, this award-winning hotel offers guest rooms with spacious balconies, breathtaking views and outstanding personalized service. The popular rooftop bar allow spectacular views over the Bosphorus and the Golden Horn. Marble bathrooms with walk-in rain showers, parquet flooring and advanced technology are standard in each room at Georges Hotel Galata. Rooms feature a flat-screen TV, an iPod docking station, toiletries, an espresso machine and free Wi-Fi. Guests can take in views of the city while enjoying a drink at the rooftop bar, one of Istanbul's most Instagram-ready spots. Located in the trendy district Galata, the hotel is within 5 minutes' walk of Istiklal Avenue, the Galata Tower and the trendy Karakoy district. The attractions and sights of the historical Old City are just 2 km away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Georges Hotel Galata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.