“Like coming home”

Ranked #81 of 1,050 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Hobart, Australia
“Like coming home”
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here August 2012 so when retuning to Istanbul there was only one place to stay. The reception staff remembered us and made us feel very welcome. The hotel is ideally placed for easy access to all the attractions round the Blue Mosque area yet far enough away to avoid almost all traffic noise. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is good. Great place.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We booked a seaview room months in advance along with an airport pickup. The van arrived one hour late -- not the best start. They said it was traffic, but all the Istanbul drivers know how bad traffc is, so they should know how much time to allocate.

When we arrived, we got the same story as many other guests. The hotel was full, so we would not have our seaview room as reserved. If possible, they would give us the "best" seaview room the second night. I'm not sure we would have gotten it if we hadn't pushed the issue in the morning.

Based on all the other coments, it appears they are purposefully overbooking the few seaview rooms in order to fill the hotel. My guess is that they give it to the guests that paid the highest rate.

Overall the rooms and the hotel are fine, and we got a decent price, but their bait and switch with the rooms is dishonest and disappointing. For this reason, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank cybersee
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I booked this hotel on Late Rooms and paid 39 Euros for a standard single room. My booking was confirmed on email so never thought anything of it. I arrived late in Istanbul at for 1 night stopover. Grabbing a taxi from the airport at a cost of 50 Turkish Lira and arrived in Sultanahmet the location of the hotel. Firstly I noted it is a difficult hotel to find especially late at night so we drove around for 10 minutes down poorly lit back streets trying to find it.
When I arrived my initial thought was disappointment with the hotel décor but then as I entered things took a turn for the worse. The man on reception had no knowledge of my booking. I produced my email and he said it did not matter because the hotel was full. To cut a long storey short the hotel had rebooked my room and not bothered to notify either Late Rooms or myself of any problems with my booking.
The man on reception was very rude and threatening towards me. Not the customer services you would expect to say the least. He wouldn’t help me find alternative accommodation. Wouldn’t let me use the hotel WIFI it was a terrible experience. I had no choice but to walk out on the street and find another hotel. After 15 minutes I found the Sultan House Hotel which had 1 room double left. I was so happy.
I made Late Rooms aware and they replied to all my emails promptly. I had no problems with them as it was solely the hotels fault. They tried to get answers from the hotel but think they are still waiting. Anyway Late Rooms compensated me for my experience so fair play.
My advice is, If you are thinking of booking this hotel don’t! You have been warned.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
hotelblue i, Manager at Blue Istanbul Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I would like to apologize on behalf of the Blue istanbul hotel. I am so sorry that you had a hard time to find out our hotel. Istanbul is a big metropolis and usually taxi drivers are getting advantage of this with tourists.
That is why we strongly recommend our guests to order airport pick-up service from our hotel. For the guests who chose to use public transportation we provide a detailed explanation of the directions.
As you wrote about overbooking and receptionist attitude and i am sure that these kinds of mistakes will not gonna happen again in our property during your next visit.we would like to tell you employees of hotel has been changed who involved in this case.
As blue istanbul hotel it is very important that all our guests leave our hotel happily. For that reason I already explained I would do my best to change your unpleasant memories with good ones. Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling to Istanbul again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

Please do accept my apologies.
Kindest regards,
Enes demir,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We booked this hotel way in advance for 8 of us, emailed them regularly and received communications from them to confirm our requests. We also booked 2 airport pick-ups as some of our party were arriving from different destinations. Both times, besides confirmation no car was sent to the airport, when we called them to find out the whereabouts of our transport they said just wait there the car is stuck in traffic, after 2 hours of waiting around we called back and they said just take a taxi yourselves the car isnt coming! They did this twice in the same day. They then made us wait 2 hours in reception and said we would stay there for one night and be moved to a different room the next night, as we were in Istanbul only for 2 nights, this was not acceptable. They ended up giving us rooms that were clean and tidy breakfast was adequate and sufficient, but as with all hotel rooms in Sultanhamet they were tiny.
When we spoke to the manager about pick-ups, he was extremely rude and said they would move our stuff to the basement rooms on the next day as we were complaining. Where in the world is the Turkish hospitality and customer service? I said fine you do that and I will call the local Police, so they backed off. This was my 5th trip to Istanbul and the worst hotel experience of the lot! Please look for other hotels in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Gatineau, Québec
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were welcomed (after a 30-hour oversea trip) by the manager (Yacob) who informed us that there was an overbooking situation (due to Booking.com according to him). He moved us to the hotel next door which was new and comfortable. There was at least another guest in the same situation. He promised us a large room for the following 2 nights. When we tried to access our room at 1;30 pm the next day, there no large room and they made us wait 30 minutes to clean a room for us. The room was very small (45 cm max around the bed). I had to negotiate a reduction for the trouble.The manager appears to be more interested in profit than in service. There are millions of tourists in Istanbul every year. He does not seem to care too much about customer satisfaction.
The location is superb to visit le Blue Mosque and the other historical sites. The breakfast is very generous and the Wi-Fi works fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
Reviewed April 14, 2013

favoloso,very clean,hard to find but good location,if u ask the staff you'll find the nearest way to the blue mosque,room is a little bit small for 3 people,but it's ok.anywhy, if u want to book, just do it.
但是留言一定要写上200多字才可以么!

• Stayed April 2013
Citta di Castello, Italy
Reviewed April 8, 2013

On the plus side this hotel was very clean, good bathroom and shower, great breakfast if you got down by about 9 am, quiet, very convenient for the Hippodrome, etc. On the downside, we had booked a 'Deluxe double room with sea view' about 3 months before trip and requested a room on the 4th or 5th floor. On arrival we were told that for the first night we would have a normal double room (which turned out to be very small) and then we could change for the remaining 4 nights. We were given a 10 percent discount for the first night. The second room was bigger because it was a triple but on the 3rd floor and the sea view was minimal. Receptionist very friendly and seemed helpful but there were some niggly problems about airport transfer and early breakfast on the last morning. Also, we'd booked through the hotel website because they offered a 5 percent discount for payment in cash but when we came to pay, we were told that this was no longer an option. We argued the point and eventually got the discount. Having just rechecked the website, we note that this 5 percent is still offered - so beware!

Room Tip: Standard double room 504 is very small. Triple Room 302 is a good size for 2 people but the sea vie...