“Feel like a sultan”

Ayasofya Hurrem Sultan Hamami
Ranked #1 of 131 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: The Historical and Luxurious Art of BathingHistorical and Architectural Features“I hope that until the end of days, good hearted friends who take a look at what I have made, when they will perceive the seriousness and the spirit of my effort, can have a fair view and can invoke my name to pray for me.” Mimar Sinan, ArchitectThe Ayasofya Hurrem Sultan Hamam in Istanbul was designed and built by Mimar Sinan, the chief Ottoman architect. It was built at the request of Hurrem Sultan (Roxelana), the wife of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent in the 16th century. It was built where the ancient public baths of Zeuxippus used to stand, between the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia. The area is also particularly significant as the site where the Temple of Zeus once stood.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Feel like a sultan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

This won't give you a truly authentic experience, but the facility was built in 1556 and it is beautiful with all of the renovations that they have done. This is your upper class hamam, but still a wonderful, relaxing experience- and you'll pay for it! I did the healing art- reflexology for 40 euros. They did an excellent job, my feet needed a break from touring the last 4 days strait. After this, they were rejuvenated and ready to walk 10 miles again! Truly a first class experience, but if you are looking for an authentic hamam experience, this will not be it. This is more of an american or european spa.

Visited September 2013

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Don't take the self service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was quite pumped to go to this hamam, but after paying for the self service and entering the "bath" I walked right out asking for a refund.

They asked 40 euros for the self service, and I expected a spa like experience with multiple facilities. What I got however was just a big hot empty room with some showers. I just don't care enough about the massages to take the full service, I'm sure that's lovely when you're into that.

The staff however was very friendly and helpful, and didn't make a fuzz about me asking for a refund.

So maybe I expected too much or I don't get "hamam", but to me this wasn't worth the asking price.

5 Thank Bert H
AyasofyaHamami, Yönetici at Ayasofya Hurrem Sultan Hamami, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Bert
Thank you for your feedback.

Ayasofya Hurrem Sultan Hamamı is a traditional ottoman hamam more than 450 Years. There are no multiple facilities in all historical hamam

If you choose Self Service; our reception gives you your bath kit, which has include all your needs and your Hamam clothes (Pestemal).

if you choose any of our packages our therapist will serve you during your treatment.
Beirut, Lebanon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Clean, beautiful, friendly, and oh so relaxing ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

This place is simply excellent. Visit as often as you manage to while in Istanbul. I experienced the Hammam and massage package on my first day in the city. Will be going again before I leave in a few days. Completely worth the time and price.

1 Thank Jean A
California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Very clean; great first time experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

All my friends had said I must try the hamam experience while in Turkey and I was dreading the thought of a public bath and sharing the sorrounding with tens of other people.

I took my teenage sons with me also, and we all found this hamam to be very clean and not crowded at all (in fact there was only one other person besides us when we went).

The staff is very friendly and they guide you through the steps. It is a great experience, and highly recommended at least once (before all the hamam's vanish :*(

1 Thank avikas
Lone Tree, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Very beautiful baths in a luxurious, exotic and very clean setting. If you are having a Turkish Bath for the first time (which, we were), this is a good choice. It is more of a spa quality hamam, perhaps not "authentic" enough for those seeking a more raw, local experience - but, again, a good starter Turkish bath. The experience is not for the modest. You will be scrubbed squeaky clean in front of other (same sex) bathers, so be prepared! We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Would definitely recommend!