“upscale spa like hammam”

Ayasofya Hurrem Sultan Hamami
Ranked #1 of 132 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: The Historical and Luxurious Art of BathingHistorical and Architectural Features“I hope that until the end of days, good hearted friends who take a look at what I have made, when they will perceive the seriousness and the spirit of my effort, can have a fair view and can invoke my name to pray for me.” Mimar Sinan, ArchitectThe Ayasofya Hurrem Sultan Hamam in Istanbul was designed and built by Mimar Sinan, the chief Ottoman architect. It was built at the request of Hurrem Sultan (Roxelana), the wife of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent in the 16th century. It was built where the ancient public baths of Zeuxippus used to stand, between the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia. The area is also particularly significant as the site where the Temple of Zeus once stood.
NYC
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“upscale spa like hammam”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

A wonderful hamam experience. Serene atmosphere, extremely relaxing and steps away from the crazy busy sultanhamet square. A little pricey but well worth the money.

1 Thank Simoneyes

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Waaaauw!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

After a stressfull week of work we received a full package voucher for the hamam. Forget steambath and sauna. But have yourself a full treatment and get the dirt scrubbed off. The ladies at the Hamam do a terrific job!

1 Thank MaureenDC76
Bracknell, England, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Beautiful temple/church”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is an amazing building that needs to be seen. The sheer size and beauty is immense.Just stand inside and take it all in, wonder around in awe!!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Juliet P
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A wonderful experience!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I arrived at 3pm and was offered a 5:30 appointment which I couldn't accept because I had
to be back on Ship for 6pm. Athena, the girl attending the door said she would give me the bath. She gave me the highlight of my Turkey visit!
It was clean and peaceful and historical. I didn't have a bathing suit and never once felt out of place.I was "scrubbed", rinsed and massaged then I was offered a drink when it was finished and left to relax out in the foyer for as long as I wanted. I was given a bag with the remains of shampoo,conditioner and body lotion and the glove that I was "scrubbed" by. Which I was instructed only to use it every 10 days to exfoliate my skin.
The perfume of it reminds of a wonderful experience and one I would definitely go back for.
It was 85 euros, the similar amount for an hour of massage in canada.
All in all a truly wonderful and very unique experience.

3 Thank melkiemor
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“glad tried, if went back just massage”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

men and women separate. Men semi draped in lose cloth that is going to fall and come off - same with women -they may say your not naked and you can try not to be, but you likely will be. Nicely located right by Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. Make a reservation in advance. Couldn't get in one day, made reservation for next. then after wanted to go back for more, but they were booked. Did royal treatment 90 minutes+, food was too much. Gets hot in there. Massage was great. You'll stink like their lotion and oils - so wear old clothes that you won't need the rest of the trip (put in hefty bag or your whole suitcase will stink) or wear clothes that will get immediately laundered.

Visited March 2013