“Eat where the Turks eat”
Review of Balkan Lokantasi

Balkan Lokantasi
Ranked #76 of 14,390 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Reviewed December 30, 2012

If you want to taste the real deal, this is it. Hidden on a tiny little road in Sultanahmet, our Turkish friends suggested we visit this eatery. More like a self-help style restaurant, (no waiters) - you have to point at the food you want to eat, but deliciously fresh and real home style food.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Prices are moderate , it has extensive choice of turkish home food. This place is very popular and this warranty that there will allways be fresh food.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We went here because of the reviews, and being students, always look for authentic local food at a cheaper price. I was seriously not disappointed. There were hardly any tourists when we ate here the first time, only a queue of locals. The line always goes fast and you never have to wait long. I was spoilt for choice as there are so many different dishes to choose from! We ate here everyday during out trip as I couldn't find anywhere else that offers more delicious or cheaper dishes. We even walked all the way from Sultanahmet area just to eat here every night.

You grab a tray and order what you want(I don't speak Turkish so I just pointed to everything I wanted) and they serve it up and you place it on a tray, take your desserts or drinks and pay at the cashier. We always had a 3 course meal with drinks and never paid more than 27TL for 2 people, a serious bargain considering there are many places elsewhere that would charge 3 times more. (And seriously, our first night we had a doner kebab and a drink each and paid the same amount)

My favourites were the eggplant + meat dishes, meatballs + eggplant, eggplant salad and I loved the pilaf. The puddings were delicious as well! I wish I could have eaten more, but I always left feeling stuffed!

If you're sick of people pulling you into the restaurants and want to eat cheap & delicious Turkish food, then don't eat anywhere else. If the line of locals during lunchtime don't tell you already how good it is, then try it for yourself, you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank sophie888
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We always searched for a restaurant to have real turkish food for a good price. After the first evening we were annoyed by the waiters of all the other restaurants who always tried to make us come inside their restaurant but by this in a way just chased us away. In Balkan Lokantasi this is not. They even have no need for cajoling people.

Best argument for us was that even turkish people go their so it really has to be good. Good food, nice people. Of course, it might not be the most romantic place, but definitly the best.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I think the title says it all. Excellent taste, large choice of balkanic dishes and also incredibly cheap for this popular area.

The staff is very polite and helpful in explaining to foreigners what each dish contains.