“One of best experiences in Istanbul...”
Review of Motif Collection

Motif Collection
Ranked #7 of 555 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: With 20 years experience, Motif Collection provides the best quality fully handcrafted carpets and kilims. While predominantly Turkish, our collection also features carpets from around the world, antique pieces and rare fragments. We also sell hand crafted Turkish ceramics and unique Turkish giftware.
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stopped in this shop out of sheer curiosity; I had no intent to purchase, but the owner was extremely friendly, and was definitely more focused on creating a positive (and informative) experience, than making a dollar. I was EXTREMELY impressed with the quality of work produced by Mehmet, he truly has a gift for refurbishing rugs. I was also very impressed with how personable Hidir was. I could not have asked for a better experience. These guys are TRULY experts in their field, and their class is unmatched! I will most definitely return...maybe even for a purchase! :-)

20  Thank Casheta
"carpet store"
in 8 reviews
"buying carpets"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this store"
in 37 reviews
"carpet salesmen"
"sultanahmet area"
"old city"

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went in search of Motif Collection during our short weekend trip to Istanbul after reading the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor. Our expectations were exceeded by the friendly and knowledgeable Hidir and his colleagues. We loved hearing about the history and provenance of each carpet and kilim, along with the "story" each was telling through its intricate details. We ended up buying one carpet and will certainly buy more in the future as we will stay in touch via email. Well worth a visit. Not just great products but a fantastic, authentic Turkish experience.

20  Thank kate d
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was recently in Istanbul and visited Motif Collection. It was very easy to find - on a side street right by the Blue Mosque and the Aya Sofia. I spotted the purple painted building and carpets that were piled up and displayed outside of the front door right away. The shop owner, Idir, was very friendly and not pushy at all. He invited my friends and I inside his shop and offered us seats and tea. He asked me what I was looking for, and he was happy to show me several beautiful small carpets and kilim pillow covers. He patiently explained that he gets most of his carpets directly from families in the countryside of Turkey. Each carpet had a history and each carpet was unique. They were not "mass manufactured new carpets", but older antique carpets with a lot of character. Idir was very knowledgeable about all of the carpets in his shop. It was a most enjoyable experience. I ended up purchasing a small antique carpet and a few kilim pillow cases. They are lovely. If you are in Istanbul and are looking for a beautiful high quality carpet at a fair price, then this is the place.

22  Thank LuvLuvLuv2Travel
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife was attracted to this shop by the display outside and Hidir invited us into his "magic garden". He was very personable, knowlegeable and patient, in fact a charming and very helpful
owner of a shop full of high grade antique rugs.His manner was most obliging, friendly,
trustworthy with a very wide knowledge of his speciality. We bought two rugs for shipment to New Zealand and have just bought another through the internet which is now on its way to us. A very satisfactory experience and he has our very best wishes for his future prosperity and perhaps a wife??
Martin & Nyra Auckland NZ

19  Thank Martin H
See more reviews
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I visited Istanbul with my wife and my daughter in August 2012. Though we do like the carpets, it was not our intention to return to Italy with any carpet to add to those we already have in our flat. So we didn't enter any of the thousands carpet shops of Istanbul, except this little one close to Aya Sofia because I had read some very positive comments on Tripadvisor, in particular on the kindness and competence of the staff, and I was very curious.

We went there in the afternoon after a long walk around the many beautiful thing to see in Istanbul, and we had wonderful time listening to Hidir explaining the various types of carpets, the symbols and the ancient traditions.

We didn't buy anything on the first day, and we returned on the following day for a tea and another long chat sitting on the floor, relaxing and enjoying the explanations by Hidir. Also my 12 years old daughter, who doesn't really like to spend more than 10 minutes in a shop, was fascinated by the various stories and details told by Hidir and enjoyed all the time spent in the shop.

We told Hidir which types of carpets we like and he showed us 10-15 beautiful pieces, but he didn't push at all. Finally, we decided to buy two old beautiful Kilims. It was a very pleasant experience, much more than shopping, i would strongly recommend Motif Colleciton to anybody who likes carpets and is willing to know the story behind each of them. And, above all, we are very grateful to Hidir for having shared with us his company, passion and knowledge.

20  Thank Dani12_58