“The best little carpet shop in Istanbul” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motif Collection

Motif Collection
Ranked #16 of 534 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: With 20 years experience, Motif Collection provides the best quality fully handcrafted carpets and kilims. While predominantly Turkish, our collection also features carpets from around the world, antique pieces and rare fragments. We also sell hand crafted Turkish ceramics and unique Turkish giftware.
Naples
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“The best little carpet shop in Istanbul”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

The Motif Collection, owned and operated by Hamit Bakir and his brother Mustafa, is the best little carpet shop in Istanbul. We first met Hamit two years ago on our first visit to Istanbul and purchased three lovely carpets from him which we have enjoyed immensely. Hamit hand picks every carpet for sale in his shop, so the quality and variety are outstanding. He is quite an expert and can tell you the story behind every carpet including its origin, the meaning of the design, and the dyes used. You will find Hamit to be low key, very patient, and helpful during the decision making process. You will not feel pressured, and you will not have to "haggle" over the price. His high quality carpets are all reasonably priced. On our most recent visit, we purchased additional pieces which arrived only a few days after we returned to the US. The Motif Collection is the place to go if you want a pleasant shopping experience.

Visited August 2011
22 Thank Hank19421

• Finnish first
  • Turkish first
McLean, VA
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“One of the most charming spots in Istanbul!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Owned and operated by Hamit Balkir and his brother, Mustafa , Motif Collection is much more than a place to buy a beautiful carpet; it is pleasant to sit out under the plane trees in good weather having tea with Hamit and discussing the world situation while admiring carpets spread out on the cobblestones. Hamit is a recognized expert on Turkish tribal carpets and counts as his clients many from western embassies and businesses in Istanbul. We sent a bank official based in Jakarta who bought 8 lovely old carpets from Motif Collection! Motif Collection has a branch in Dublin, Ireland, and frequently holds exhibitions in Japan. There is no bargaining here, as prices have been very deliberately and fairly set. The shop is right beside the restored Ottoman hotel, the Green House (Yesil Ev) across the street from the Four Seasons Hotel in Sultanahmet. A great place to meet your party while they tour Aya Sofya and Topkapi and the Blue Mosque!
My husband and I give highest marks to Motif Collection and its gracious owners.
Peggy and Jim Hanson

Dublin,Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A Little Rug Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

During my last trip to Istanbul , I found a great Rug shop. I wanted to buy a couple of rugs without all the usual hassle of bargaining etc. This is the perfect place for that. They have a great collection of Anatolian rugs and many Kilims to choose from. These guys could give me all the information about the history of the rugs. When I arrived to the shop , I found the owner was actually repairing a rug. . It was nice to deal with someone who had a real interest in his products and culture. I bought a couple of pieces and must say how happy I am. If you have an interest in rugs , I would reccomend this shop completely. You can find them beside the Yesil Ev hotel on Kabasakal Cad . 3 . Sultanahmet. Tel : 0212 516 13 74

Visited April 2011