“Made Good Friends!”

Sultans Royal Hotel
Ranked #71 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Came upon this hotel on tripadvisor and chose based of recommendations. Definitely TWO thumbs up!
(This was the 2nd hotel chosen for the remainder 5 night during my last visit to Istanbul)

The location is pretty hard to find if you're not familiar with the place and if walking from SultanAhmet tram station. Not to mention top of a hill. Best route i found is walk through Arasta Bazaar to the end (closed at night though), then down the hill, 3rd turn left - at a corner lot grocery store. (cant miss it as you can see 3 seafood restaurants through the left lane)

So after searching for a good 20 minutes (had a good walk though it's a nice cozy location) when i finally found the hotel. Arsen (one of the receptionist) was already in front and already greeted me with my name as if knowing me for years. I know they know i was coming but that sort of confidence is just top draw. Upon arriving, i was immediately offered refreshments knowing a had a good sweat climbing the hill. (I had way too much tea in the hotel in the end).

It's a nice small hotel (16 rooms i think) with good setting and a very friendly vibe. The staff made sure they know alot in regards to their guest so that they can cater to every need at a moments request. I made friends with both Arsen and Erdal and the rest of the crew and i had a blast. They in turn introduced to their other friends around the neighborhood which made eating, shopping and sightseeing so much easier.

Otherwise the room is clean, nice, cozy and suprisingly medium to large. Spacious bathroom but no bath (or at least not in my room) but with comfortable seating shower. Interestingly the bathroom's floor was heated which made it comfortable (as Istanbul was still cold). The TV had a lot of channels and be sure to alert reception if you have any TV requirements so that they can set it in advanced for you (though visiting Istanbul, there should be little time for TV anyway!). WiFi is included and fast! They have a fridge in room and although the mini bar rates are fairly reasonable, there are grocery stores just a minute away for any snacks and drinks that you need. Breakfast is included with a decent spread and turkish style available. However there was not much variety in between (stayed 5 nights) but at least the food was tasteful, fresh and appetizing.

It is obvious the staff is highly experienced and they will go the distance to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Highest of recommendations!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Matgerad
There are newer reviews for Sultans Royal Hotel

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had gone to Istanbul as a last minute trip as a solo female traveler. I didn't have a clue where to stay and what to do here but I knew I wanted to go. I saw amazing reviews for this hotel right here on trip advisor and I knew it felt right. The last place I wanted to stay was a grand 5 star hotel where it doesn't feel like home...and besides, I was going to be out all day venturing, right? That's why I chose the Sultan Royal. I was picked up at the airport where someone was holding up a sign with my name on it. When I entered the hotel, I was greeted with such sincerity by Ersin where he got a feel for my stay there and helped me to my room. I got the top floor terrace/ suite room 302 (sea view) all to myself! What a treat it was. This wonderful treatment continued all throughout my 4 night stay. Ersin, Erdal, Ismail, Erfan, and few others treated me like their favorite sister and I had such a safe and beautiful stay there. They helped me with my itinerary and guided me in the right direction everyday. Erdal and Ismail helped me order late night dinners from neighboring restaurants at 10pm (twice!) and had it delivered to my room. They went above and beyond and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a great small hotel that feels like home, but better. There is a convient store around the corner to buy beverages and snacks. The roads are easy to navigate around the hotel once I got the hang of it. And yes, I walked to all the attractions, even to the Galata Tower across the bridge. Pretty proud of myself for being a big girl and finding this amazing gem of a hotel and all of it's grandeur. Bottom line is friendly (now friends to be exact), clean, safe, and quiet. What more are you looking for?

Room Tip: If it's in your budget, choose room 302. It's so private and quiet (top floor) and there is...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank AimeeZara
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I met a friend in Istanbul for a long girls weekend. We picked Sultans Royal because it had good reviews on TA and seemed to be in a safe location. We were blow away by how great our stay was. I arrived very early on Thursday morning (way before normal check in time) and they were able to check me in almost immediately and offered me breakfast while I waited (only a couple of minutes) for them to get my room ready early. That was a huge plus for me, especially after 10 hours of travel!! The breakfast buffet was wonderful with tons of different options to choose from. I would have gladly paid for this breakfast each morning but it was included in the room price! The front desk reception during the day (Ersin) was so great. He gave us detailed maps to get everywhere we wanted to go, told us how to use public transport to get places very inexpensively, knew the best times to go certain places and discouraged us from any of the tourist traps which we told him we would like to avoid. All of his suggestions were awesome and lined up perfectly with what we wanted to do on our trip. He was a huge help and allowed us to squeeze in a ton of different activities into our quick 5 day trip! I also wanted to comment on how great the location is. For 2 women traveling alone, it was very important that we be in a safe place where we are safe to walk around during the day and at night. The Sultanahment area was perfect, we always felt secure being out at night and we got back to the hotel there was always someone at the reception to open the door and greet us. It felt like they were genuinly interested in our well being and wanted to ensure we got home safely each evening. They knew our names and always asked how our day had been. So refreshing compared to some stuffy hotels where the front desk doesn't even look up when you pass by! Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It is clean, quiet, beautiful furnishings, safe, amazing staff who are always there to help you and in a perfect location between the 2 biggest mosques. Thank you to all the Sultan's Royal staff and Ersin especially. I will definitely be back to Istanbul soon as it was such a wonderful experience;)

Room Tip: We stayed in a double room with 2 twin beds. Beds were super comfortable, plenty of room and very ni...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Chelsea C
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was really surprised by the professional staff and the cleanliness of the whole hotel!
I enjoyed a rich breakfast every morning and the manager ,Ersin Cicek ,was a real help in making our stay in the hotel excellent!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Costinela
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel looks very cosy and comfortable,the staff is very client oriented and the rooms are very clean.The hotel manager Ersin Cicek is very professional and he also helped us with precious advices about finding the best places in Istanbul.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Maria Cozmina
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Highly recommend this hotel. I do not have one complaint. My friend and I stayed three nights. When we got there, we had no plans for the four days of when we were going to see the city and attractions. The first night, Erdal, the front desk manager had helped us arrange each day. He got us a phenomenal tour guide, the helped us book a boat tour, and had a taxi for us to take us to the airport when we left. They also pick you up from the airport when you arrive and take you to the hotel for free! The room and bathroom were cleaned each day and we were provided with fresh towels. The service at this hotel exceeds any other hotel experience I have ever. Will definitely stay here again if I end up in Istanbul in the future. And the location is close to everything. Perfect hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Emily M
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Highly recommended hotel.
The hotel is in a great location, really close to all of the Sultanahmet attractions such as the Blue Mosque, only a few minutes walk away.
The rooms are nice and the breakfast is fantastic. Lovely grilled veg, breads, jams, etc.
Good speed, free wifi in the rooms too.
The great thing about he hotel is the staff, all the staff are really friendly and very helpful.
We stayed more than 6 days and got free pick up and drop off to Attaturk airport.
btw - if you are a fisherman, make sure you have some pictures of your fish on your phone to show Ersin :-)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple