“Poor arrogant front desk service”
Review of ODDA Hotel

ODDA Hotel
Ranked #442 of 1,147 Hotels in Istanbul
Melbourne, Australia
“Poor arrogant front desk service”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I would not stay at the Odda Hotel again.
There are some lovely rooms and bathrooms here however my review is due to the staff/management team and therefore, I would choose another hotel.

The management team of Odda Hotel was literally the worst part of our five week Europe trip, mind you the location of this hotel was within 5 minute walk of the protests currently underway in Taksim Square. When we arrived, the manager said our prebooked twin room was not available however he would move us the next day. Whilst not ideal given we had booked and PAID for a twin room in January for our stay in June, we agreed to accept a small double room, on the proviso that we would be switched for last two days of our three day stay. I had mentioned at this time that it was unsatisfactory and I would have booked another hotel if the twin rooms were not available and this was particularly disappointing given the booking website provided three reminders in the two weeks before our stay and the unavailability of the booked rooms was not advised.The following day, my friend and I followed up on our change of which the front desk was evasive and said that check this afternoon. It was quite clear that two of three days we booked we would not have the rooms available. The problem was not just that the rooms booked were not available, its the fact that the manager was wilfully ignorant and was deceptive in his conduct towards us (being two females) which made us feel unsafe in this hotel. As with similar poor /negative reviews of this hotel, when you encounter a problem during your stay the first point of call of the management is to deny/ignore and present an arrogant attitude, rather than being forthcoming and half way decent.

On the pros - good breakfast and lovely person that attended the breakfast room.
Cons - don't expect anything from the front desk staff, general cavalier attitude and unhelpfulness, given the proximity of the hotel where there was civil unrest, the hotel should have at least provided some advice in relation to getting to hotel as the key transit point was in lockdown.

Room Tip: I would not book here. The potential hassle of not having proactive to basic assistance if you need...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Hi guys, I have just left the Odda hotel. I can safely say despite the negative mixed reviews below, which are most properly from picky Americans or silly Europeans, this hotel is most wonderful. The staff are lovely and friendly and very helpful. they go out of their way to comfort your stay. The rooms themselfs are large, the bed is big and comfy and altogether very spacious. The decor is very shabby chic, with a French feel to it, not so much typical trukish style. Their is free wifi and the hotel is very central if you are wanting to be in th Taxsim area. If you want a peaceful room at night then I advice you to take a room near the back on a high up floor, as music does go on every night until late. I would definitely come back next year. Breakfast is a wide selection, not and cold, lots of cake and pastries for the Americans.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better if you want a peaceful nights sleep. Balcony rooms are near the front if...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hameenlinna, Finland
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We reserved two rooms (for 2 adults and 2 schoolkids) on the 6th floor (for the sleeping silence), the rooms were quit small but clean. The hotel is situated near shops and many restaurants in a noisy bar area, which we did know, but that it would be so noisy around the hotel under the weekend nights, we did not expect. The breakfast was regular, kind of turkish, which was not for the childrens taste. I would have liked fresh bred, fresh juices and more fruits. Fruits were available, but for extra charge.
The staff members were extremely helpful, one night we could not get back to the hotel because of the the demonstrations in Taksim area, so one guy of the staff came after us and took to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel is conviniently located near the attractions in the "new" side of Istanbul and there are numerous bars and resturants close by. Our room was modern in style and spacious, with an ensuite bathroom...with huge shower. The view from our room was however something to be desired, but then in central Istanbul what do you expect! Breakfast was fair and varied and therfore should suit most tastes. We found the staff at the hotel extremely helpful and very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel is located in a side street (nondescript, but with a few eateries popular with locals, and a small corner-store (for your bottled water purchasing) across the way) off the pedestrianised, chock-a-bloc with people, high street, Istiklal Caddesi. The street the hotel is in is midway down this avenue. The hotel is on a corner of a lane; I had asked for a room facing the street, not wanting to get a view of a window of the building next door as sometimes happens with inner-city hotels, and for an upper level to minimize intrusion of street noise (Beyoğlu being infamous for its bars, and they blare out loud music till early hours — Balo Sokagi is no exception). I booked a 'single delux' room. The room was on level 6, the top level (lift access). It had wall-to-ceiling windows: so, nice and light like I like it. There was doubleglazing (which minimized the bars' musical noise), aircon, and you could open two of the windows. The room was adequate size, with a double bed and small desk, and had a separate bathroom (with turkish-style toilet, the water spout didn't seem to aim right). Furnishings we're white and gray. Showed a bit of wear-and-tear, but it was not shabby; probably due for a big scrub-over rather than just the daily clean to spruce it up. Erratic wifi reception on my floor (but good in breakfast room). It had a stocked minibar-fridge, a feature in hotels that I do not like. The toilet was one of those where you use a spout at the back of the toilet bowl to water yourself after defecating and use the toilet-paper only for drying your buttocks; you have to be very supple to implement the idea, but the shower was nearby as backup. The view was what Sydney real-estate-agents call 'a district view' -- similar medium-rise buildings across a valley. In trying to search out a good, as well as 'value for money', hotel in Beyoğlu — and not too near Taksim square — and noting many reviewers' complaints about noisy bars — I had a hard time searching. It took me a while of searching TA to settle on this hotel: no regrets. I wanted to stay in Beyoğlu as a change from Sultanahmet; but Beyoğlu has fewer attractions: Istiklal Caddesi is for thoroughfaring not sauntering, the shops are mostly bland, a few of the old arcades have preserved their charm; but the buildings and street work as an ensemble. You are also spared the annoying touts that Sultanahmet square has. But if you want to be close to the main tourist sights and waterfront, a hotel in the Sultanahmet/Sirkeci areas would be better. I stayed in Sultanahmet for 3 days to do the tourist sights, and then moved to Beyoğlu for something more 'real'. In the Odda hotel's neighborhood there are lots of local amenities ('corner stores', bread shops, banks, etc.), and a popular lokanta across the road. They also can arrange a laundry service. For concertgoers who have booked tickets online through Biletix, you will find a small Biletix shop in Halep Pasaji, off Istiklal Caddesi, just around the corner; you can collect your ticket there, they will print it out for you. I liked my stay here. Apart from the comfort and convenience of the hotel, I was fortunate enough to be in this part of the city at the time when there were massive protests against inappropriate development at Taksim square; Taksim square and Istiklal Caddesi were vibrant with voices of dissent and of affirmation of 'the right to the city': exemplary and exhilarating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Schiltron
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Enjoyed my 8-nights at this hotel since it was so close to Istiklal street where you can shop and dine at so many places. Bedroom was very comfortable and clean furnishings which included a double size bed, flat screen TV, free WI-FI, and mini fridge. I was on the 6th Floor and could hear all the jazz and rock n' roll bands as well as the discos. Because I was on vacation, it did not bother me to sleep very late, since I had a chance to catch up with my work via internet in the wee hours of the morning. I actually thought it was great listening to free entertainment with live musicians who played wonderful jazz and Latin music. I would not recommend to bring small children, since they would be up all night listening to the music and bar noise. It is definitely a hotel for adults.. ODDA does have classic apartments for rent which is about 500 meters away from the Odda Hotel. Staff were accommodating and very helpful!

Room Tip: If you are not into discos, bars, jazz, rock n'roll and Latin music, the staff is willing to mov...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DeeAnn18
Gurgaon
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had a very disappointing stay. Though we had booked for 5 nights but chewed out after 2 nights. The hotel staff is rude and unhelpful. I lost my Kashmiri stole when we went for breakfast..and the hotel did not help to find it...in fact said that some other guest said it was theirs, so they gave it to him..which I found weird. We were very annoyed....but the hotel did not help. And, strangely, that very evening the shawl was found too ...how come the shawl comes back if the guest has checked out? That is strange.....so then we checked out

Room Tip: We had a rather tiny room...even after having paid for triple room....pictures on the net do not giv...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
OddaHotel, General Manager at ODDA Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

From your entrance to hotel we are able to care wıth you especially me and my attendant friends help to you in present case,when you came to reception about your shawl which is stolen,you asserted.We mentioned to you that you forgot it in breakfast room then our waitress brought your shawl to the reception and another guest conjectured,it is belong to his wife and the receptionist gave your shawl to him .Also you saw the camera recordings and we called the police station for you to complaint ,we comminicated what can you do.We provided also to call consulate and everywhere else free of charge.We sent an e-mail to guest who took your shawl accidentally and also gave permission to send e-mail to him too.He also replied our e-mail and he brought your shawl back .The rest of your stay refund your money back after early c-out and were told that we can be on any topics that we will be happy to help.To date a place with a high level guest satisfaction athough we endeavor to please and to help those of us who have written reviews that I thınk we dont deserve ıt

Sıncerly